Thread: What Size RX ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

What Size RX ?

I'm 6 feet tall and I'm looking at a large 2009 Racer -x. I was thinking a large would be good for me, but I was looking at the geometry chart and it says the top tube is 24 inches for large and 24.60 inches for XLarge. Would a XLarge be better for me? I measured the TT on my ten year old MTB and its about 23.25 inches. However I have been demoing a 2011 Kona that has a stated 25 inch TT on its geo chart. After riding the Kona, my old bike that I have been riding all these years seems just a little too small. If you guys could give me any guidlines to use to determine which size I need that would be awesome thanks in advance.

I realise that it would be best to ride the bike I'm looking at, and then decide, but its 5 hour drive away, if I can rule out a Large without driving 5 hours that seems better lol.

Thanks a ton.

Dozer
    Quote Originally Posted by guggas
    I'm 6 feet tall and I'm looking at a large 2009 Racer -x. I was thinking a large would be good for me, but I was looking at the geometry chart and it says the top tube is 24 inches for large and 24.60 inches for XLarge. Would a XLarge be better for me? I measured the TT on my ten year old MTB and its about 23.25 inches. However I have been demoing a 2011 Kona that has a stated 25 inch TT on its geo chart. After riding the Kona, my old bike that I have been riding all these years seems just a little too small. If you guys could give me any guidlines to use to determine which size I need that would be awesome thanks in advance.

I realise that it would be best to ride the bike I'm looking at, and then decide, but its 5 hour drive away, if I can rule out a Large without driving 5 hours that seems better lol.

Thanks a ton.
    For what it's worth, I'm 6'2" and have always ridden XL hardtails (other brands). When I bought my Titus, the L was just the right size. I'm not a racer, and my L is a MotoLite, but in my experience Titus' sizing runs large. Hope this helps.

nobody
    FWIW I'm 5'11" (31" inseam) and ride a large '06 Racer X and it fits me really well.
    I'm what Willis was talkin' about

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    On our unofficial size chart you would size into a large at 6 foot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I am 6 ft tall with long arms and I ride a large racer x ti with a 100mm stem and a straight seatpost. So it would probably work for you as well. My old bikes had similar geometry to yours (135mm stems though). The racer -x is much more comfortable.

The other thing to consider is how upright you want to be. I run a fair number of spacers on my headtube on the large and my position is fairly aggressive cross country but nothing like the flat back position of a 90s racing hardtail. If you like to sit more upright, and assuming the x-large has a longer headtube, then that might be one reason to get the xl.