Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

What size El Guapo to buy?

I am considering an El Guapo, but not sure about the size. What would you recommend?

I am 181cm long with a long back. Go for large with a short stem?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    marky, i am at 183cm and i went with large and a 55mm stem...fits nicely

Let the good times roll.
    I'm a couple cm shorter than you with a large v2 and 50mm stem. It feels good most of the time, but I occasionally feel like I'm too stretched out. I have a 35mm stem on the way to see if that makes the fit perfect.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Does v3 mean 2013 model?
    Any suggestion to me? I am 173cm tall and 84cm inseam
    anyone knows the reach and stack?
    Last edited by cscsw; 10-02-2012 at 08:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cscsw View Post
    Does v3 mean 2013 model?
    Any suggestion to me? I am 173cm tall and 84cm inseam
    anyone knows the reach and stack?
    Have written a few people with Titus, in an attempt to find out reach and stack numbers. I'll relay the info here, if/when I get it.

Titus/On-One/Planet X
    Small : Reach = 373mm, Stack = 587mm
    Medium : Reach = 395mm, Stack = 587mm
    Large : Reach = 413mm, Stack = 602mm
    --
    brant
    http://www.shedfire.com
    Designing for Titus USA, On-One and Planet X.

mtbr member
    Good lookin brant. Just ordered the medium yesterday, but will be changing to a large, for sure. 16.2" reach and 23.7 stack is perfect for me. Appreciate the info.

Titus/On-One/Planet X
    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic Skeptic View Post
    Good lookin brant. Just ordered the medium yesterday, but will be changing to a large, for sure. 16.2" reach and 23.7 stack is perfect for me. Appreciate the info.
    I would put you on a medium. I prefer my medium to a large, and I'm 6'1".

But your call.

I'm in Taipei on the way to China.
    --
    brant

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    I would put you on a medium. I prefer my medium to a large, and I'm 6'1".

But your call.

I'm in Taipei on the way to China.
    Really? Most mediums and larges seem to be like 16" in reach. Don't think the M would be too small for a Trail/AM bike? I can stiick with the M, but no test ride possible, so your advice means a lot. What's your inseam?

Titus/On-One/Planet X
    I like 33in inseam jeans, but also like short top tubes on fun gravity bikes.

The V3 got a 10mm longer top tube than the V2's, and I would normally steer riders over 6' to a large.

Stack is a funny dimension on this frame as the seat angle is still not as steep as some bikes, so sitting down length is longer than it might appear.
    --
    brant

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    I like 33in inseam jeans, but also like short top tubes on fun gravity bikes.

The V3 got a 10mm longer top tube than the V2's, and I would normally steer riders over 6' to a large.

Stack is a funny dimension on this frame as the seat angle is still not as steep as some bikes, so sitting down length is longer than it might appear.
    What if it won't be a downhill type bike, but just trail/AM, thus moe pedaling than gravity. I believed th medium was it, but the reach is much shorter than I'm used to and the large reach is closer to the large 5 Spot's reach. Just want no regrets. I haaate bein a tweener, haha.

Titus/On-One/Planet X
    You have the numbers now.
    For sure, there's no problem with standover.
    --
    brant

mtbr member
    May 2011
    excellent! Those values are very useful
    I always take reach as reference coz I stand up more than sitting on saddle when i am on a AM bike. top tube length can sometime fool you due to different seat tube angles

mtbr member

Daaaang

Yeah, as much as I thought medium was for me, the reach more than anything tells me that it'll fit me too small. I've ridden a medium Turner 5 Spot, which has a 15.6 reach and 23.0 stack, and it was definitely too small. Super flickable and fun, but just a bit too small for a bike not specifically devoted to gravity-orientred riding. I really wanted the medium too, because they're available in 48 hours right now. The larges aren't available until December.

Problem I just noticed is, the large El Guapo corresponds with the XL 5 Spot, which has a 24.5" ETT and 16.4" reach. Hmmmm. I'm always between sizes man, Im telling you, haha!

Considering dealing with it, and just keeping the medium order. If December turned into any later, I'd be miserable, especially if the large felt too big. Brant, if I order from On-One, would you guys allow an exchange for a large frame from the Portland store, if the medium doesn't fit?

mtbr member
    This caught in between size thing irks me to no end. Had a medium for the past few yrs
    5'10" 30.5 inseam.

Just finished building my 2nd EG -- but its a small this time around.

My hunch all this while was the smaller would fit me better.. After a couple of rides it would seem so...

Having said-- Im still keeping both as the 2 builts have different intended purposes...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den View Post
    This caught in between size thing irks me to no end. Had a medium for the past few yrs
    5'10" 30.5 inseam.

Just finished building my 2nd EG -- but its a small this time around.

My hunch all this while was the smaller would fit me better.. After a couple of rides it would seem so...

Having said-- Im still keeping both as the 2 builts have different intended purposes...
    It's so difficult, isn't it? A few quick test rides would solve everything, but the amazing price of the frames kinda dictates that they won;t be available in shops to test ride. You can never have everything, haha!

Good to know you feel the small fits better, but depends on how you ride it. How are you riding the small, how did you ride the medium and how do you intend to now ride the medium?

I don't think I've ever been this torn between two sizes. That 15.5" reach is scaring the hell out of me, and if I have to return the frame to Europe and get hit with restocking fees if it doesn't fit, I'm starting to wonder if I'm making the right decision in buying this frame. I'd give anything to be able to ride the medium and large for like 2 minutes each. Guessing games are the pits.

mtbr member
    It's so difficult, isn't it? A few quick test rides would solve everything, but the amazing price of the frames kinda dictates that they won;t be available in shops to test ride. You can never have everything, haha!

Good to know you feel the small fits better, but depends on how you ride it. How are you riding the small, how did you ride the medium and how do you intend to now ride the medium?

I don't think I've ever been this torn between two sizes. That 15.5" reach is scaring the hell out of me, and if I have to return the frame to Europe and get hit with restocking fees if it doesn't fit, I'm starting to wonder if I'm making the right decision in buying this frame. I'd give anything to be able to ride the medium and large for like 2 minutes each. Guessing games are the pits.

Actually I just wrote up my thoughts on my own fitting between the 2 sizes earlier after coming back from riding both these weekend.

My med just grew bigger over the years and is decidedly gravity oriented-- but I don't get to ride as much big descents as I would like so a number of adjustments which essentially is to shorten up arm reach and getting more upright when seated at max seat height is really to make it still climb well in my usual rolling terrain.

Not sure about others but the usual stretch out fit on smaller xc bikes doesnt work well for me on longer travel geom like the EG.

With the small EG -- things felt more centered... I ride off the saddle a lot. Being able to weight shift quicker was a real boost on the trail.. Also running a longer stem makes those last minute line switch manouevering on techie climbs easier than a stubbie like the 35mm on my med EG...

Other than that and a lower bar height... my arm reach and distance from bar to saddle are virtually identical on both bikes. The longer stem compensates for the 0.75" difference in ETT length from the med. Basically with little or no change to my bike fitting measurements-- Im now more forward on the bike.

If I have to summaize-- the small now feels a little "short changed" but in a good way... a 6" bike that rides nimbler 5" trail bike.

mtbr member
    Interesting findings. Just checked out the link you provided. I'm really wondering if I should go medium with the 70mm stem, as you find it a bit better for climbing. Thing is, you seemed to find one of the medium configurations (I believe with 50mm stem and 730mm bars) best for all-around riding. My head is hurting. I have no idea what to do. Maybe I should drive up to Portland, since I live a few hours away. Brant, would I be able to test a medium and large if I came up to Portland?

mtbr member
    Interesting findings. Just checked out the link you provided. I'm really wondering if I should go medium with the 70mm stem, as you find it a bit better for climbing. Thing is, you seemed to find one of the medium configurations (I believe with 50mm stem and 730mm bars) best for all-around riding. My head is hurting. I have no idea what to do. Maybe I should drive up to Portland, since I live a few hours away. Brant, would I be able to test a medium and large if I came up to Portland?
    Its 50 with a 710mm back in 09' but as bars got longer (which does help with leverage for me) over the years, I have to shorten the stem to 35mm when matign to 750-760mm to compensate for the increased length that increase my arm reach. Otherwise again its a bit stretched out-- lower back will the first to disagree and tell me

mtbr member
    Gonna go large. Here's my logic:

I'm riding a Scott Scale 29er, with a 15.9" reach, 80mm stem and 711mm bars. I think the feel is perfectly centered. Not forward when standing, not towards the rear either....just centered. If I consider this my ideal standard setup, then to compensate for the reach difference between the Scale and the Guapo in medium and large, I just adjust stem length to match things up. 15.55" reach for the medium Guapo basically needs a 10mm longer stem for balanced setup (90mm). Large El Guapo with 16.25" reach needs a 10mm shorter stem for balanced setup (70mm). For more gravity-oriented rides, I'd go with a 20mm or so shorter stem, and thus the medium EG would work with a 70mm stem, and large EG with a 50mm stem.

With all of these thoughts being thrown out there, I realize I could go either way, but lean towards the large. It seems that a 90mm stem on a trail/AM bike is getting to be too long, while a 70mm stem is a great starting point. Likewise, a 50mm stem for a more gravity-oriented setup is pretty standard, while a 70mm stem for gravity-oriented is good, but not necessarily ideal. On the other hand, if I wanted to run wider bars than 711mm, the ability to run shorter stems with the medium than the large would help with that. I don't see myself going wider than the 711mm bars I currently have, so I think I should go large.

Thoughts?

Brant and craigstr saying medium for my measurements is really messing with my head, but the large's reach seems like a better fit for stem swaps and standard/balanced riding setup. I'll be contacting On-One to see if I can change my order, before they ship it out, but am bummed about having to wait until December (if December is even a guaranteed next available date for sizes other than medium).

I swear, I'm gonna have a FS bike....one day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den View Post
    Its 50 with a 710mm back in 09' but as bars got longer (which does help with leverage for me) over the years, I have to shorten the stem to 35mm when matign to 750-760mm to compensate for the increased length that increase my arm reach. Otherwise again its a bit stretched out-- lower back will the first to disagree and tell me
    Ah okay, Gotcha. My biggest fear with the large, is feeling too stretched out, and regreting the decision. I don't know the reach on the last large I had, but the ETT was 24.2, and I did not like the stretched-out feeling at all. Had a 40mm stem on there, and still didn't like it. Impossible to find out the reach too (Giant Talon 29er). If I could find out that reach, it would help me a lot. May never know though. If it ended up being something like 16.5", I'd know that 16" is just my sweet spot. I have a hunch it was more like 17.5" though, so the 16.3" could be great.

mtbr member
    Shot in the dark, but I uploaded a pic of the Scott Scale. Looking at the setup, do any of you get a hunch that I should go medium, or large, perhaps? This is getting stupid desperate, hahaha.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What size El Guapo to buy?-2012-08-30-10.18.19.jpg  

mtbr member
    Never say never. I once say bars beyond 680 is ridiculous..look where I am now.

Everything will reach a limit because of physical attribute of course. Practically speaking, I cant go any wider than 750-760.. Tried and sold a 780 bar the very next day, it was like going canoeing instead of biking. Its the same with flat bar-- they tend to feel longer than what they actually are... or at least for me so I like running longer stems with them than what is considered "normal" eg a 760 flat with 65-70 stem instead of the usual 35 stubbie stem with risers of compatible length. But these things can be rather personal.

Not gonna mess up your head further... the only reason I would think going smaller is a better bet is that the options to open up and stretch out is greater... There is a limit to how much u can "downsize" if starting off with a bigger frame.

The "reach" thing seems to be central to a lot of what you are considering for the sizing matter. It wasn't something I factored in simply because at that time-- these measurements were not even mainstream when researching and buying the frame...hence depended on those measurements that were experimented with as seen in the link but that's after buying to get the best fit on a long travel bike... something that's getting to be an obsession for me by now

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Shot in the dark, but I uploaded a pic of the Scott Scale. Looking at the setup, do any of you get a hunch that I should go medium, or large, perhaps? This is getting stupid desperate, hahaha.
    in my opinion... medium..

cant really just look at number on the reach and compare out front with your scott.

El Guapo is a AM bike.... medium would be more fun and flickable than large for you in between size in my opinion. if you does end up u preferring slightly larger.. the fact that medium will still gonna be usable and more flickable for the type of riding rather than risking with a large one that u may get overstretch.

too bad u cant get a test ride to tell...but hey they are offered at amazing price. hence i think that way a lower size on AM bike will work for you

just my 2cent ...

mtbr member
    Good points guys. Smaller bike can always be made bigger via adjustments, but larger bike will reach a limit at which it can't be downsized any further. I think, since a Titus rider and Titus employee have both recommended medium, and I can always make it bigger, I'll stick with my medium. If it doesn't work out at all, we move forward from there. That medium 5 Spit did have me grinning like crazy during the test ride, small or not. I still feel apprehensive, but sticking with the medium also means I should have the frame within weeks. I suppose that, worst case scenario, an exchange may be possible. Also, the smaller bike will give me a chance to try out the short stem/wider bar combo (750mm bars or so), since using 750mm bars with the larger bike would negate a lot of what the shorter stem's purpose is. Seems medium is a go. Can't say I'm not still apprehensive, but....ah well, haha.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast