mtbr member
    May 2009

What should I not do to my racerx?

Since I have no idea what competitive XC means, I am wondering what should I not do to the bike?
    I went riding the other day and found a spot where a few guys practiced brems (not sure if this is the right term - a turn with a high rim outside) and some small jumps (30 - 40 cm). They all had bike which were more AM than XC and I started wondering if I should be there with my bike.

My question is when is a jump too big, when is a drop too high, what steps should I not try to climb and when should I say "this is too rocky" for me?

I am guessing the wheels will have a lot of influence here (more than the frame), so I am riding mavic crossrides.

10x.

txn
    mtbr member
    Those turns are called berms.

That's all I can help you with.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hmm, I gauge any gap or drop by the amount of PPE I'm wearing and gut instinct. The older I get the safer I play. I'm quite sure my bikes can perform far beyond my capabilities. As far as the Racerx goes, i am no authority.

Titus, can you please post the strength and fatigue results for the Racerx?
    Nature has always had more force than education. - Voltaire

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Titus isn't going to post their strength and fatigue data, as that is considered proprietary data. But general rule of thumb for XC frame is don't jump or drop anything more then about a foot. If you really feel the need to do small drops and jumps get a Titus ML or FTM or if you are going to really extreme try an El Guapo.

With that being said please keep this in mind. "Their are old mountain bikers and their are bold mountain bikers, but their are no old bold mountain bikers."

Happy Trails,

Sopwithcamel

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sopwithcamel
    Titus isn't going to post their strength and fatigue data, as that is considered proprietary data
    Yeah, that was supposed to be a joke, albeit a lame joke, but a joke nonetheless. It never dawned on me that people would really ask for strength/fatigue data.

Point being, the only somewhat correct answer is the conservative one. 1 foot sounds good.
    Nature has always had more force than education. - Voltaire