Pocket Pool Savant

What to do about old Maxm MX-6 Bars

I've been riding these bars for years and years. I think I got them as a test marketing part from eBay about 6 or 7 years ago. I love the geometry of these bars and will hate to see them go...which brings me to my question...

These bars have nary a mark on them. I've been very careful to keep them that way as they were my first carbon part. The have been ridden hard for XC, verging on All Mountain for a few years, then they came to Georgia where the trails are pretty tame. They've never taken anything bigger than a 2 ft drop...and, they ARE DH bars.

Do I:
    a.) replace the bars simply because of their age, despite the fact they look near new?
    b.) keep them and risk catestrophic failure?
    c.) by some new MonkeyLite XCs and hang these in the office near my other "stuff"?

I called the company about a year ago and they didn't have an answer for me other than "you're still riding a set of those?!?" reaction. I thought it was pretty funny.

AJ
    "Stop smirking. It's irritating" - Judge Judy

mtbr member
    Can't say that I particularly agree, but according to the April issue of MBA carbon bars expire after 1yr of use.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebeer
    Can't say that I particularly agree, but according to the April issue of MBA carbon bars expire after 1yr of use.
    Did anyone else think that article listed ridiculously short lifespans for most of the components? Essentially, you need to replace most of your components within 18 months, and those that you don't replace need to be rebuilt.

Sorry for the partial thread-jack. In my opinion, you are pushing your luck with a six year old carbon bar.

Pocket Pool Savant

Yeah, recovering weight weenie here...

I get a laugh out of that article. Seems like this article gets recycled about every few years just to appease the sponsors of the mag. I stopped subscribing to that mag about ayear and a half ago when I was off the bike. I might not renew. I'm not interested in buying a new bike every 18 months. According to many of those articles, nothing on my bike is worth riding, or is dangerous. That's why I have friends who pony up a few grand every couple years. It's pretty funny.

Maybe I should get rid of my perfectly good and well maintained square-taper cranks, or my '04 XT Derailleurs. Perhaps my '05 Black Super Air?

I replace my chain every year and am still running the same chainrings since '04 and the same cassette since '05 without any shifting issues.

Aw, hell. I'm just going to pitch the whole thing.

So, none of this is any good? Even after ~5000 miles?

(sorry it's not a Titus...I like those, too. )

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Pittzer
    Did anyone else think that article listed ridiculously short lifespans for most of the components? Essentially, you need to replace most of your components within 18 months, and those that you don't replace need to be rebuilt.

Sorry for the partial thread-jack. In my opinion, you are pushing your luck with a six year old carbon bar.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by mcseforsale
    I get a laugh out of that article. Seems like this article gets recycled about every few years just to appease the sponsors of the mag. I stopped subscribing to that mag about ayear and a half ago when I was off the bike. I might not renew. I'm not interested in buying a new bike every 18 months. According to many of those articles, nothing on my bike is worth riding, or is dangerous. That's why I have friends who pony up a few grand every couple years. It's pretty funny.

Maybe I should get rid of my perfectly good and well maintained square-taper cranks, or my '04 XT Derailleurs. Perhaps my '05 Black Super Air?

I replace my chain every year and am still running the same chainrings since '04 and the same cassette since '05 without any shifting issues.

Aw, hell. I'm just going to pitch the whole thing.

So, none of this is any good? Even after ~5000 miles?

(sorry it's not a Titus...I like those, too. )

AJ
    Nice bike! But well, next ride it will do a spontaneous combustion and will incinerate everything within two miles of the dark side of the fifth moon of Jupiter, so don't worry about here on earth....

I really don't know about how much CF would last, but I prefer to be safe than sorry...

Pocket Pool Savant

Thanks!

It's pretty retro. I love it. I've ridden most other bike models and this one still has a better ride than any of the GTs, Socialized, STrecks, etc.

I caved and bought a new bar and stem. I've been wanting to upgrade anyway. I only wish the new crop of bars were as wide and had the same rise. I got a MokeyLite XC at 660mm, 40mm rise for 46 bux and a RaceFace Deus stem for 19 at Jensonusa.com. Saved over 140 bux over list. So, 75 bux shipped for a $140 bar and $90 stem.

I'm gonna hang these in my office with my '86 Performer.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Nice bike! But well, next ride it will do a spontaneous combustion and will incinerate everything within two miles of the dark side of the fifth moon of Jupiter, so don't worry about here on earth....

I really don't know about how much CF would last, but I prefer to be safe than sorry...