mtbr member
    Jun 2004

What Crankset For RX-100

Time to replace/upgrade the XT crankset on my RX-100. Something a little lighter would be nice. What do you think?

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmonk
    Time to replace/upgrade the XT crankset on my RX-100. Something a little lighter would be nice. What do you think?

A new XT M760, RF Deus, TruVativ Stylo GXP, or some bling cabon FSA K-Force MegaExo. Or maybe hold out for the new 2007 XTR. I would stay away from that noodley weight weenie stuff.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Another vote for XT M760

I came from a M960 XTR group on my last bike to a M760 XT group on my current 06 RX100 and can tell no difference. Cost way less, a little heavier, works just as well, last just as long (or longer?? IMHO) Only 70 grams difference between the cranksets, and XT uses a normal spline pattern so you are not commited to shimno rings. Good Stuff

The M960 XTR cranksets are on sale right now at Jenosn for 299 which seems pretty good.

Good luck with whatever you decide

BTW why do you think you need a new one, and what generation do you have now???
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I would stick with the XT. I had an XTR and the chain rings were warped after 500 miles. Light but not durable. As mentioned, you only save 70 grams. The XT are relatively light and very durable.

recovering racer

Q Factor matter to you?

The XT M760 has one of the widest Q factors of all the Shimano cranks. Not sure if that matters to you. I ride a lot of road and wide Q just feels strange to me. For that reason I kept my old school M952 XTR cranks for my new RX100.

Q Factors of new XTR, new XT, old XTR:
    M960 168mm
    M760 175mm
    M952 163mm

For reference Dura Ace 10spd is 146mm

Shimano Q Factor Chart

sushi lover
    May 2006
    another vote for 2007 XTR

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Has anyone heard what the 2007 Shimano XTR crankset will cost?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

XTR vs. XT vs.Race Face

I ran XTR on an RX 100 that I recently replaced with a ML. I went XT on the ML and have a hard time noticing a difference. The XTR rings are very costly and proprietary to save only 2 ozs. I also am running Race Face Deus XC on a second bike. I feel the rings are very fragile compared to the XT and I have had several times when the crank arms loosen up despite using correct torque and locktite. I know others have had similar experiences. The weight of the RF is very close to the XTR though.

mtbr member
    I have been running XT M760 on my RX and have put about 1300 miles on it, and I have no complaints. It's held up quite well to my clyde stature quite well.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by JTBAZ
    Has anyone heard what the 2007 Shimano XTR crankset will cost?

Probably the same ~$450 it costs now.
    Long Live Long Rides

MTB'er
    Sep 2005

Shimano XTR

If you can't wait for the 2007 model, search on eBay for a good $300 offer. Shimano XTR still remains as one of the lightest cranksets (FSA Carbon just look good but they are HEAVY) and one of the best on the shifting department.
    "I will not relent"

mtbr member
    I would avoid the old XTR, the chainrings are already hard enough to find and super expensive now, wait tell they stop making the crank. My recomendation is Race Face Deus or XT.