"Its All Good"

Good job! Whafes thoughts on the ML

Wrote a few words on my first real ride on the ML today, see the link, did it in the AM area. Want more to see the positives I had on this bike. F%^&&$#K can this thing decend,a m still smiling.

First real ride on the Motolite
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member

Does it get Dirty??

Must be an amazing consequence to owning an exogrid frame, looks like it never gets dirty!!!! Whafe, how about some action shots with you on the bike!!

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    Must be an amazing consequence to owning an exogrid frame, looks like it never gets dirty!!!! Whafe, how about some action shots with you on the bike!!
    I could take that post many ways, have to tell you though, I would kill to ride in some wet areas, Spain in summer, rain seems to be as rare as rocking horse shiat............ So its sand and dust, thats about as dirty as it gets I am afraid............. Easy to clean that way............ Winter will come for sure.............. And as usual, I am always the one with the camera, but will when my english speaking biking buddy gets back from the xterra race in Mexico...........Point taken though.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member

Dont take it the wrong way

Whafe dont take it the wrong way, it was just meant to be fun.

"El Whatever"
    Wow, mate!

There's nothing like spending big bucks on a piece of equipment and then realize it was all worthy!!

Talking about equipment... and not to start another thread more. I had a quick spin on the scooter today. Just coming back from it. Short because a riding buddy had a unsolvable mech (square taper went round on the non-drive side crank... impossible to repair and had to go back).

I had three aditions to my weaponry this ride... a WTB Rocket V Stealth saddle (thanks to Elmadaleno), a new Giro Semi-Mx helmet and a spanking AM1 (thanks, Whafe... the guy promised and delivered.. hats off to him!)

Saddle... looks fine, feels like a dream on the arse, its shape it's perfect for fore-aft transitions. My arse couldn't be happier.

Helmet - A bit hotter than a regular one, but looks fine, fits fine while a bit tight on the sides of the head, and the visor position is adjustable, but lower setting it's perfect. Did I mention it looks cool? I'm happy.

The Marzocchi AM1, 130-150mm flavour - Set at 130mm setting, this thing is stupid plush. Set-up is a bit tricky. Little pressure here and little oil there make significant changes. All controls are useable and sensible. I didn't used the TST though. After all my fears, geometry wise is just spot on.... feel the bike "flopping" and wheelie happy? Simple quarter turn to ETA and problem solved.

Descending is a dream and definitively a keeper. The travel it's very, very plush.

Now... the obligated comparison with the Magura Pahon it's replacing. Notice that these are first ride impressions, though.

The Phaon is as solid as a 125mm travel-30mm stanchions can get. After the oil conversion to the left leg, the thing is very plush too. Both forks have a bit of fore-aft flex on small stuff... it's just that the AM one is more solid thanks to the 32mm stanchions and being a bit meatier too... but the AM has nearly 25mm more of travel!!

Compression stroke is nice on both... maybe a bit more on the Phaon. Pedaling inputs are better filtered without stop being plush. But this is not bashing the AM1's damping... which is VERY nice. It's just that my first ride. But the Phaon was pretty much pull it out the box, put the right spring and voila! It felt perfect. The Zoke needs more tuning and there's a fine line of pressure where you get the right sag and full travel at the same time. Once I get it, I'll be happy. I used like 115 off the 130mm travel, but this ride was not much demanding on the fork. I pulled alsmot full travel off the Fox Float, though.

I didn't used the TST much... maybe I will someday, but I doubt I would use more than the AM setting. (Whafe... the TST is OK. It's just that I expected a hardrock lockout, but the lockout is rather a useable one... it blows off with enough a hard hit. It compresses, but takes more effort and avoids pedaling input... nice done, Zoke!)

All in all... I'm 100% percent sure the Phaon is up for sale to finance a set of Hope XC hubs
    Check my Site

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Wow, mate!
    Warp, great to hear you got a ride in on the AM1, all beit short, those days come around....... I am sure once its dialled it will be sweet, took me a little time...........There are soem real knowledgable cats on this forum on the AM1 fork.......... You sound fully up there though, like normal................

Two of us experimenting with new toys, yeah ha............ ...

PS - So thought Mexico were going to do it, that was a fantastic game to watch, best for a long long time..............

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    Whafe dont take it the wrong way, it was just meant to be fun.
    All good craigstr, mis took it, my mistake, it will get down and dirty though

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Warp, great to hear you got a ride in on the AM1, all beit short, those days come around....... I am sure once its dialled it will be sweet, took me a little time...........There are soem real knowledgable cats on this forum on the AM1 fork.......... You sound fully up there though, like normal................

Two of us experimenting with new toys, yeah ha............ ...
    Oh, I just noticed that I was not really putting my thoughts in my post... Because I'm loving the AM1 and after dialing it, I'll be more than happy.

I'm already loving the thing and selling off the Magura. Not a bad fork at all (the Magura), simply, the AM1 has an edge over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    PS - So thought Mexico were going to do it, that was a fantastic game to watch, best for a long long time..............
    Yeah... such a pity... I was really excited about it. Argentine is a very strong team, and for sure, Germany is thanking us for tenderizing their next prey.

Holland made a nice work today cleaning the way for England. Protugal will have three of their best players out for the match against England. But my hats off for Protugal... guts and nothing more those boys showed.
    Check my Site

ಠ_ಠ
    Warp your review definitely deserves its own post once you get a picture or two. Glad to hear your new fork is working out!

Whafe, bike looks stunning on the trail! Thanks for sharing your thoughts; look forward to some action shots for sure!
    Last edited by dulyebr; 06-26-2006 at 10:56 AM.

I wonder why?
    Two weeks and counting for me. Man, the wait get's harder the closer the ship date gets.

Patience, patience, patience........argh!!!!!!!

Your writeups have been great, but it's kinda like dangling a steak in front of a starving man. (Tofu for the vegitarians????)

I1dry?

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by i1dry
    Two weeks and counting for me. Man, the wait get's harder the closer the ship date gets.

Your writeups have been great, but it's kinda like dangling a steak in front of a starving man. (Tofu for the vegitarians????)

I1dry?
    Can you two guys share with us what cereal brand is giving away a coupon for a ML Exo on each box????

Lucky bastids (but I can't really complain and I'm feeling lucky too, thanks to friends like Whafe!)
    Check my Site

Eyes:blue. Knuckles:white
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp

Yeah... such a pity... I was really excited about it. Argentine is a very strong team, and for sure, Germany is thanking us for tenderizing their next prey.

Holland made a nice work today cleaning the way for England. Protugal will have three of their best players out for the match against England. But my hats off for Protugal... guts and nothing more those boys showed.
    I was gutted for Mexico - Rafa Marquez's goal was a peach, but you can't legislate for Argentinian brilliance. Portugal have shot themselves in the foot and they will be lucky to go through, even against massively over-hyped England (you can guess I'm no fan!)

Anyway, to bike matters - Warp, have you thought about Hope Pro II hubs rather than XC? Pro II are lighter and can be easily converted to 20mm thru-axle in case you ever go Pike on the front... I've just bought Mavic XC717s on Pro II and I'm pretty happy with them so far - ultra smooth and a fantastic sound from the rear freehub. Seem easy to service too.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by i1dry

I1dry?
    Dude, I know the feelings, they suck........ It will be worth it, trust me on that. That first decend will be magical. I am still grinning from the weekend. Tech twisty single track, this thing is share joy........... Yeah ha....................

Building and waiting is like chasing a hot woman. The thrill of the chase, great fun.

Hang in there Bro

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartie
    I was gutted for Mexico - Rafa Marquez's goal was a peach, but you can't legislate for Argentinian brilliance. Portugal have shot themselves in the foot and they will be lucky to go through, even against massively over-hyped England (you can guess I'm no fan!)
    Yeah, that argentinian goal was a masterpiece. Really, there was nothing we could do.

England-Portugal and Germany-Argentina will be THE matches to watch on the next round.

Anyway, to bike matters - Warp, have you thought about Hope Pro II hubs rather than XC? Pro II are lighter and can be easily converted to 20mm thru-axle in case you ever go Pike on the front... I've just bought Mavic XC717s on Pro II and I'm pretty happy with them so far - ultra smooth and a fantastic sound from the rear freehub. Seem easy to service too.
    Yeah, Stuartie... I'm salivating after the Pro II's... or a Bulb (there must be some of them laying around, but I don't see any discounts). But for the price of just the rear hub, I can buy the whole set of XC's... which are the best hubs you can get for under 150 bucks.

I have not considering going 20mm thru axle, but now you have me wondering.

Maybe Pro II rear - XC front? But then the difference between the front XC and Pro is nothing in money.

I dunno... damn... you gave me more things to think about, pal. UGI striking!
    Check my Site

"Its All Good"
    Mate. I am lost for words to portray to you my thoughts on those BLOW A holes, think they are hot shiat, just cold farts not even warming up..... Sorry english buddies, but your team will not do be able to do it.............................. Oh up to Rooney, Oh yes Rooney........... Rooney this, Rooney that. It slike watching paint dry.... Oh to be Rooney, that means I cannot be booked.............

There you go, my thoughts............

Good on Portugal, huge game..... Still that Argentina Mexico game, was great... Be an Argentina Brazil final or Argentina Germany................. mmmmmmmm What would I know, Im from New Zealand............ It all about Rugby. (LOL)