Results 1 to 41 of 41
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212

    New question here. water bottle bolt thingy problem

    the thing that the water bottle bolt bolts into on El Moto spins

    i cannot get the upper bolt out as everything spins

    i did a Blackie and overtightened the bolt

    help, what shall I do ?~?

    power tool ?~?

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,466
    Take it to the LBS. They'll remove the rivet and insert a new one, provided this shop is worth a damn.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    a solution besides LBS please

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,261
    AM~ I had a little play in one of mine. I took the bolt out and squeezed the the little flange with a pair of needle-nose pliers parallel to the down-tube.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    i can't get the bolt out, it's stuck and they both turn

    i guess all get the GRINDER out... the 8" or 4" version ?~?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: the Inbred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,477
    can you wedge something under the rivet, so that you can remove the bolt?

  7. #7
    the 36 year old grom
    Reputation: demo_slug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,726
    cyanoacrylate (AKA super glue)? can you dab some on the insert without getting it in the bolt?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,261
    Grab the flange with the needle-nose, then turn the bolt.

    Then...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    39

    LBS is the best option

    I had the same thing happen on another manufacture's frame and my LBS had it fixed in about 20 minutes.

    Of course I first tried to fix it by grabbing the riv-nut insert by the outside flange with some pliers and put a really nice scratch in the downtube... After seeing how easy the shop handled it I felt like the idiot I play on TV...

  10. #10
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,015
    Firmly instyall a thin screwdriver under the lip, put a peice of E tape under it to help prevent scratching. apply inward/upward pressure to stabilize, it should come free, if not, the needle nose works too. Once out, take a nut larger than the bolt, put it on the bolt, and reinstall the bolt in the boss. Tighten the bolt down so the nut is snug against the boss, then, while holding onto the nut with an appropriate wrench, this allows the nut to turn, and tighten the rivet inside the frame, it should snug it up, and make the problem go away, simple version of the shop rivnut installer!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  11. #11
    Do It Yourself
    Reputation: Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,721
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    help, what shall I do ?~?

    Use a Camelbak.
    Long Live Long Rides

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Use a Camelbak.
    I use a pack... I need to bolts to mount a poly Lion battery for my bar light.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Firmly instyall a thin screwdriver under the lip, put a peice of E tape under it to help prevent scratching. apply inward/upward pressure to stabilize, it should come free, if not, the needle nose works too. Once out, take a nut larger than the bolt, put it on the bolt, and reinstall the bolt in the boss. Tighten the bolt down so the nut is snug against the boss, then, while holding onto the nut with an appropriate wrench, this allows the nut to turn, and tighten the rivet inside the frame, it should snug it up, and make the problem go away, simple version of the shop rivnut installer!
    Thank-you kindly sir

  14. #14
    Trophy Husband
    Reputation: geolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,012
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    I use a pack... I need to bolts to mount a poly Lion battery for my bar light.
    Lights are for sissies.
    Extreme stationary biker.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Lights are for sissies.
    new frames hangin on the wall are for sissies

  16. #16
    Trophy Husband
    Reputation: geolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,012
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    new frames hangin on the wall are for sissies
    I hate you.
    Extreme stationary biker.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    I hate you.
    does that mean no riding for a while ?~?

    did the frame get zoke stoked.... or undecided ?~?

  18. #18
    Trophy Husband
    Reputation: geolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,012
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    does that mean no riding for a while ?~?

    did the frame get zoke stoked.... or undecided ?~?
    No riding till July.
    I'm currently re-lining my pockets with greasy, oil-soaked dollar bills.

    Still undecided as well. Today I'm leaning coil...

    Maybe a fresh victim will clear my head...bring on the seals!
    Extreme stationary biker.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    Geo you still have time to repent and sell the frame on the wall for an El Guapo

    El Guapo's are better artwork and weigh the same

    A Zoke Stoked El Guapo would be real nice. Those new Zoke air plungers would be RAD on an El Guapo.

  20. #20
    Trophy Husband
    Reputation: geolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,012
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    Geo you still have time to repent and sell the frame on the wall for an El Guapo

    El Guapo's are better artwork and weigh the same

    A Zoke Stoked El Guapo would be real nice. Those new Zoke air plungers would be RAD on an El Guapo.
    I have toyed with the idea of selling the frame. I would not buy a El Guapo. I don't need it. I have the SuMo. The SuMo would go on a diet.

    Please don't ask me to sell my SuMo.

    I'm waiting to see the new Tranny Blindside.
    Extreme stationary biker.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    I have toyed with the idea of selling the frame. I would not buy a El Guapo. I don't need it. I have the SuMo. The SuMo would go on a diet.

    Please don't ask me to sell my SuMo.

    I'm waiting to see the new Tranny Blindside.

    El Guapo is needed. You can build a light RAD trail bike.

    You know how much you like the SuMo.... believe that the El Guapo delivers the same promise. The El Guapo is set up perfectly for a longer fork. You can get a sweet 68 degree HA easy with an incredible BB height. No weight lost of gained from the frame on your wall and it will be stiffer, pedal just as well, climb better, more travel.... No doubt. Please PM demo_slug for the good oil.


    Super Size the SuMo. Make a man out of it

  22. #22
    the 36 year old grom
    Reputation: demo_slug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,726
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    I have toyed with the idea of selling the frame. I would not buy a El Guapo. I don't need it. I have the SuMo. The SuMo would go on a diet.

    Please don't ask me to sell my SuMo.

    I'm waiting to see the new Tranny Blindside.
    all the cool kids are trading up from el SuMo to el Guapo.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    geolover

    consider your options carefully

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    You need a Titus beside your SuMo

  25. #25
    Trophy Husband
    Reputation: geolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,012
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    all the cool kids are trading up from el SuMo to el Guapo.
    If you want to sell me your DH bike...I'd consider the Guap.

    AM
    Less than 1 pound difference between SuMo and Guap.
    If I went 6" travel bike I'd really have to look at the RFX...I like the looks of the new geometry.
    Extreme stationary biker.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    If you want to sell me your DH bike...I'd consider the Guap.

    AM
    Less than 1 pound difference between SuMo and Guap.
    If I went 6" travel bike I'd really have to look at the RFX...I like the looks of the new geometry.

    You're frame hanging on the wall weighs an El Guapo's worth.

    You are correct about build weights.... a build can make a bike (within limits of course).

    Everything you want out of the frame on your wall the EG can do at the same weight. The EG has more robust build options. It's not a matter of 5" or 6" with these two. The EG can pedal just as good as the frame on your wall. It can climb just as good. All say it will be stiffer too all at the same weight.

    Think trail bike build on the EG and the penny will drop mate . It doesn't have to be Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy. EG is Cocalis suspension design trust it.

    08 36 Talas would be super sweet with an 08 Roco shock (air or Ti coil your fancy). EG has angles just begging to go. Why fart around with Pikes, 32 tube forks, or jacked around frame geometry to get a descent fork. El Guapo is calling.

    RFX... that's at your own risk

  27. #27
    the 36 year old grom
    Reputation: demo_slug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,726
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    If you want to sell me your DH bike...I'd consider the Guap.

    AM
    Less than 1 pound difference between SuMo and Guap.
    If I went 6" travel bike I'd really have to look at the RFX...I like the looks of the new geometry.
    SuMo FR and Guapo are 2 very different bikes..... just different. SuMo is taller, shorter. its more nimble. its an FR bike. get a SuMo and wheelie like a 12 year old on a BMX. land jumps like a big cat. the 7 inch coil set up is ridiculously smooth and bottomless. easy to get behind the seat and point it down the steep stuff. GeoLove is probably on the right bike for PNW/north shore stuff. a very fun bike. I'd put Mr AM on a sumo.

    Guapo corners better at speed. its laterally stiffer then el SuMo or el ML. my motolite handling techniques translate easily and naturally to the El guapo. it fit me like a glove. its like a motolite on steriods., so its like a racerX on double steriods , it really is the perfect bike for a ML owner that wants to go bigger.......

  28. #28
    Trophy Husband
    Reputation: geolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,012
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    Everything you want out of the frame on your wall the EG can do at the same weight. The EG has more robust build options. It's not a matter of 5" or 6" with these two. The EG can pedal just as good as the frame on your wall. It can climb just as good. All say it will be stiffer too all at the same weight.

    Think trail bike build on the EG and the penny will drop mate . It doesn't have to be Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy. EG is Cocalis suspension design trust it.

    08 36 Talas would be super sweet with an 08 Roco shock (air or Ti coil your fancy). EG has angles just begging to go. Why fart around with Pikes, 32 tube forks, or jacked around frame geometry to get a descent fork. El Guapo is calling.
    EG is also as much as I paid for my SuMo WITH brand new 66 rc2x....and that is with a constipated Pearl.

    I do have an extra 8.5 x 2.5 DHX air (hanging in my garage... ).
    Extreme stationary biker.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    EG is also as much as I paid for my SuMo WITH brand new 66 rc2x....and that is with a constipated Pearl.

    I do have an extra 8.5 x 2.5 DHX air (hanging in my garage... ).
    sell the constipated shock for few shillings , club 10 extra seals and call it a day

    you're gunna blow your dough on something else in life anyways... just add the extra dough and order some of the good oil:

    El Guapo El Guapo El Guapo El Guapo El Guapo El Guapo El Guapo

    the frame hanging on the wall will sell better than cold amber fluid at the moment

  30. #30
    Trophy Husband
    Reputation: geolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,012
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    you're gunna blow your dough on something else in life anyways...
    You mean something like this?
    nolan20weeks.JPG
    Extreme stationary biker.

  31. #31
    the 36 year old grom
    Reputation: demo_slug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,726
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    You mean something like this?
    Buy him a XCL frame now.... you might have it built up in time for his 16th birthday.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    Buy him a XCL frame now.... you might have it built up in time for his 16th birthday.


    Edit: maybe order 2 El Guapos's....
    Last edited by All Mountain; 06-07-2007 at 05:58 AM.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    You mean something like this
    That's sensational news !~!

    All the best for you and your partner

  34. #34
    Do It Yourself
    Reputation: Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,721
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    I use a pack... I need to bolts to mount a poly Lion battery for my bar light.

    Same advice that I had for Warp: Duct tape.
    Long Live Long Rides

  35. #35
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,799
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    You mean something like this?
    Congrats, Geo!!

  36. #36
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,830
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    You mean something like this?
    Looks like three-four months old... You weren't at home back then, were you?

    Anyways.... It doesn't really matters. If the pigs are in your pigpen, then they belong to you.

    Just kidding...


    CONGRATULATIONS, BRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I can picture father and son out there in the big white, with Geo throughly and patiently teaching his son how to properly club a seal.

    Man, I'll take that XCL because obviously you won't ride anymore. Unless you still prefer it as ornament in your place.
    Check my Site

  37. #37
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Same advice that I had for Warp: Duct tape.
    Yeah... You only need two things in your toolbox.

    If it moves and it shouldn't... Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and it should... WD40.

    Man, you wouldn't know how many Gas Turbines have been installed and are already flying/operating based on this simple advice.
    Check my Site

  38. #38
    Trophy Husband
    Reputation: geolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Looks like three-four months old... You weren't at home back then, were you?
    20 weeks, actually. And I was around, thank you. Thanks for the kind words fellas...has been trying times. My wife was/is recovering from cervical cancer. We started trying to have kids (the fun part!) two months after her surgery. Actually she got pregnant the first time (literally)...

    I might not have a big gun, but I got good aim.

    I can picture father and son out there in the big white, with Geo throughly and patiently teaching his son how to properly club a seal.
    This is a skill you are born with...it cannot be taught.

    Man, I'll take that XCL because obviously you won't ride anymore. Unless you still prefer it as ornament in your place.
    I'm not sure what you're supposed to do with a baby...it's likely I'll just hang it up next to the XCL until its old enough to go to work.
    Extreme stationary biker.

  39. #39
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,830
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    20 weeks, actually. And I was around, thank you. Thanks for the kind words fellas...has been trying times. My wife was/is recovering from cervical cancer. We started trying to have kids (the fun part!) two months after her surgery. Actually she got pregnant the first time (literally)...

    I might not have a big gun, but I got good aim.
    Double congrats, then!!
    That's for your wife's recovery and Mini-Geo

    Man, that's great news...

    Same here... My wife was on pills when she got pregnant... So we were kinda surprised but very happy. That little sucka is lovely.



    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    This is a skill you are born with...it cannot be taught.
    Well... then chances are he/she has it in his/her blood.


    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    I'm not sure what you're supposed to do with a baby...it's likely I'll just hang it up next to the XCL until its old enough to go to work.
    You have just summed up the first six-months... they're basically inanimate objects that ask for food and sleep, until they can move on their own... Then, the fun starts and your life ends. They have an ability of hurting themselves any time you lost them from sight, that you wouldn't believe.

    But don't worry... you'll sort it out.

    On a serious note... You'll feel things you never thought you would feel. It's amazing how you get attached so bad to someone who suddenly appears into your life out from the nothing.

    Again, Congrats!!!
    Check my Site

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Same advice that I had for Warp: Duct tape.
    duct tape is for sissies

    100 mile-an-hour tape is for men

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    20 weeks, actually. And I was around, thank you. Thanks for the kind words fellas...has been trying times. My wife was/is recovering from cervical cancer. We started trying to have kids (the fun part!) two months after her surgery. Actually she got pregnant the first time (literally)...
    I might not have a big gun, but I got good aim.
    This is a skill you are born with...it cannot be taught.
    I'm not sure what you're supposed to do with a baby...it's likely I'll just hang it up next to the XCL until its old enough to go to work.
    Sorry geo It must have been a very difficult time, and the long distance work making it harder.

    But I guess... no seal can wait unclubbed... work must go on, frames to hang on walls...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •