mtbr member

WARNING- El Guapo Kool-Aid Content.

Well, took the morning off and set down to the hustle and bustle that is Newton, Mass for a pre-hours, semi-private demo today. My goals- Take my Ti ML and put it up against as many Titae as can be ridden in three hours. Disclaimer- I am a Titus homer, and proudly admit to it. While as unbiased as possible, this review should be read with the basis that I was super-stoked to throw legs over the El Guapo and Racer-X along with my moto. No pictures- Everyone's seen the Titus Demo-mobile and trail pics were out of the question.

Terrain: Cutler Reserve is a small park pretty close to the city. I tried all bikes on the same 3.5ish mile section. Mostly smooth doubletrack along with roots, rocks, and a few rock moves/drops, no more than 2-3' (I had to look for them. This was my first time riding here, and hoped to see a bit more technical features to try the guap on, but a free demo is still a free demo). No complaints here.

I first took out my motolite before the demo opened shop just to get a feel for the trails. In hindsight, I am happy I did this as I knew what to expect with my own bike rather than being influenced by the "new bike smell" if I started with them first.

Next, the Racer-X. I didnt think* I would notice the difference in weight from the ML, but I really did. Acceleration was killer- made the moto feel sluggish and I feelthat it climbs better than 85% of other fully bikes I've tried. This would be my bike if I lived out west- it was made for buff singletrack intertwined with a few smaller obstacle patches. It felt a little noodly in the baby heads, but nothing I couldnt overcome with a bit of body english and softer pedaling. I didnt do the step-downs on the rx, although it felt solid enough to try.

And Finally, El Guapo- Took me a few minutes in the lot to get everything settled with the Pearl. My pulse rate was aboout 160bpm just due to the excitement of getting on the bike. It was time to rail. First impressions are- woah, whatever weight difference between the Moto and the Guap certainly feel negligable. This frame is stiffer than a virgin at a whorehouse!! Cockpit size when compared to my large moto was a little more cramped on the top tube. It is a more FR oriented bike though, so I suppose that is to be expected. It was a competent climber, which is to be expected due to the extra travel and the pearl's platform just not working for me (it was definitely a two-stage travel shock, unfortunately the platform was so harsh that it may as well been a 1" stroke). It was very forgiving in the baby heads and roots, never once losing the contact patch and rolling over everything easy and plush. Rock moves were laughed at by the mighty Guapo- rolling everything I could find and correcting my lines when I was purposely throwing them off. I cannot explain to you how stable this thing is on drops and step-ups/downs. It is confidence inspiring on the big, techy tricks to a point that I wasn't thinking technically anymore. Just roll it and drop... I wish I could have tried it on some larger stuff, but overall it was a very pleasant experience.

Summary: I love my moto-lite. It is by far the best do-it-all bike I have tried. After testing the other mountain offerings, I still maintain that for a do-it-all bike, the moto is still superior. The El Guapo has allllmost bridged that gap though. It is more stable in the rough, through the air, and pointed downhill. The moto however was a better climber, better behaved in the buff trails, and personally felt a bit more comfortable (granted, the guap was a demo, so I really couldn't fiddle with it too too much) than the Guapo. Would I buy an El Guapo over a motolite? If I did more shuttle runs and had bigger cashews, hell yea. In a cocaine heartbeat. Unfortunately, I don't have macedamia sized testicles and only shuttle run once a month or so. Most of my riding wouldnt be able to reap the benefits of the El Guapo.

Hope this helped though, for any on the fence. In reference to RnZ's review, I agree with him in that the El Guapo is more of a light Super-moto than it is a heavy motolite. That comparo was spot on.
    Last edited by golfduke; 07-25-2007 at 11:39 AM.

thats right living legend
    Great review!... Thanks.

It's still a shame you forgot your camera though.

searcher
    Good report GD, thanks. It was a very good idea that you used the ML on the same trails where you tested the others , I am sure it gave you a fair comparison.
    Kovi

Veni Vidi Vici
    Thanks for the review GD somehow it neutralized a bit the stong urge of UGI in me...

I wear white socks
    Apr 2007
    The Demo tour does not make it down here till the middle of next month. I have been debating not even riding the El G so I won't know what I am missing

Seriously, Thanks for the feedback. It make me feel better about my decision.

Chris

"Its All Good"
    I Dig my MotoLite too...... But I dig the El G too..........

A good review indeed GD..... As mentioned, dam good thinking in slinking out onto the trail first with your ML.....

Pleased you noticed the far smaller cockpit feel, it is for sure smaller, but not so small it is uncomfortable, or is wasnt for me after 4 hours in the saddle..

It would be a winner for a one bike though, heavey wheels set and coil shock, and a lighter wheels set and Roco Air or RP23.... Jobs done, single bike, many tasks.

AM, to be honest, the riding you are doing, you could well n truly handle havigin an El G, no doubt about that.....

10 points for the write up, take off 2 points for no pics......
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    too right !~! the lack of good clear suitably annotated photos was a major disappointment

ML is treating me fine, but would not knock back El G

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    good review... no excuse for the lack of pics .. we could at least see the grin on your face during the demo

mtbr member
    haha, sorry about the pics... I still to this day don't have a pic of my completed motolite on here either... I suppose I'm just anti-picture taking for some strange reason.

'I'll work on that.

Quote Originally Posted by golfduke
    haha, sorry about the pics... I still to this day don't have a pic of my completed motolite on here either... I suppose I'm just anti-picture taking for some strange reason.

'I'll work on that.
    ok.. you are forgiven

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    at least give us some fuzzy photos like Blackey gives us

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    at least give us some fuzzy photos like Blackey gives us
    Nah, we want SLR studio pics with macros like Cris'
    Check my Site

"Its All Good"
    I just like pictures, saves typing 1000 words.... You know the saying............
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Nah, we want SLR studio pics with macros like Cris'
    cool...