mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Vivid Air vs RP23 vs RT3 on EG

Just ordered an EG though on-one as a second bike when I don't feel like lugging my heavy DH bike around.

The frame already included a Monarch RT3 but given the feed back from the EG owners coil shocks are much more preferred.

I have noted that the Monarch RT3 was a recent change made by on-one/titus and the frame used be come with Fox RP23. It seemed like most of the negitive comments about the air shocks are from those who used the RP23.

I am wondering whether the change to RT3 was simply a cost cutting move by on-one/titus or does it actually provide some improvement on the EG.

Since I already down a heavy DH bike I really want this bike to be different and light by keeping the use of an air shock. If the RT3 doesn't really cut it, I am wondering whether a Vivid Air would work. I have seen quite a few people using it on DH biks with good results so I am really tempted to try it on the EG.

Any feedback on the RT3 or Vivid Air would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

mtbr member

You should give the RT3 a chance

Its a much better shock then the RP23. All depends on the intended use but it can handle light FR. I think the switch to the RT3 was made before On-One took possesion of Titus and they were already on order from RS. Most people rave about the RT3. I love the RT3 over the RP 23 and DHX 5 I have run on my 2010 EG.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    That is great to hear Craig, thank you!

I am going stick with the RT3 for a couple rides first and see how everything works out. As I am used to riding a DH bike and intend to ride on the same trails, I guess it will probably be quite demanding on the rear shocks.

If everything works out, I am going to have some spare cash to spend on a new set of wheels then. I am thinking of a set of ZTR flow right now.

mtbr member
    What fork are you going to run? You will be surprised at how good the RT3 works. I've been running Flows for the past year, havent knocked them out of true once. Good, solid wheelset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Well I have a 160mm 2010 Van 36 right now so I am going to keep using it.

Kindna against my goal of going light weight but it is a good fork and is in really good condition other than the fact that the stachions got scratched up by a friend who was borrowing my bike. He dropped it while WALKING the bike!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    mgv101, have you considered the monarch PLUS RC3? It's basically a shock that takes the best bits from the monarch line, adds in stuff from the more downhill shock (can't recall which bits, and from which shock), to give the best of both worlds. pretty expensive, but said to be one of the best air shocks ever.

given that you are talking about going hard on the shock, and seem to want the benefit of coil shocks, you seem like the perfect candidate for the PLUS RC3.

RHRF!
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    ...I've been running Flows for the past year, havent knocked them out of true once. Good, solid wheelset.
    +1 for the Flows! Excellent AM rim!
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    +Flows are good, still haven't trued after a year.. They were very well built btw

mtbr member

did your RT3 come with the mounting hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    What fork are you going to run? You will be surprised at how good the RT3 works. I've been running Flows for the past year, havent knocked them out of true once. Good, solid wheelset.
    ...think Im gonna go with the RT3 after reading what you and a couple of others are saying w.r.t. an air shock for my "lite" build.

mtbr member

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den
    ...think Im gonna go with the RT3 after reading what you and a couple of others are saying w.r.t. an air shock for my "lite" build.
    I think you will like it.

mtbr member
    Third the Flows...full year on mine and they are still true.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    OK! OK! I will get the flows.

But I am going to wait for the frame to arrive first.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sorry guys, flows were all out of stock. I was impatient so I have ordered Fulcrum Red Zone instead.

This turned out to be a mistake as the frame took MUCH longer than expected to arrive and the flows are already back in stock now. Should've waited.

The frame finally came yesterday but turned out the shock was missing. This will be another long wait as I'll have to wait for the shocks to be restocked before they could even send me the shock!

Lets hope this is worth the wait.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Are you getting the new Vivid air?? Like to hear all about it

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    No I am just waiting for the stock Monarch RT3 to come in.

According to the store, it was supposed to come pre-installed on the frame but all I've got was a piece of plastic rod in-between the shock mounts.

Will see how the stock shock perform first before considering switching.

The Cheater
    Why not just buy a RT3 from PUSH instead?
    Titux X Carbon 2010 race 9.93kg
    Titux X 2009 "Deore 2012" training 11.55kg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Because all the Titus frames are sold with shocks when ordering from On-One.

Had finally built up the EG with a borrowed DHX5 air shock and took it for a ride last week. Was riding with a beginner and only had the chance to try it on some easy stuff, did not ride it hard at all. The small bump compliance were not exactly great on the DHX air.

The RT3 just came in. Going to give it a try next week.