ronbo613

Vintage Titus Motolite

Some of you may have read my post about Titus swingarm parts; Jeff T, aka "Titus Jeff", offered to send me the parts they had for this bike at no charge. No doubt he had to look for these parts in the bottom shelf of the last row of shelves in the Titus facility; this bike hasn't been sold for ten years. Thanks to Jeff, I was able to tweak the swingarm bolt and retainer nut, install a couple new bearings and get this bike back on the trail.
    I'm not sure of the exact year this Motolite was made; I believe this model was produced about 1999 or 2000. It has been ridden regularly since then. Most of the components have been replaced; XTR derailleurs, XT Rapidfire Plus shifters, Hayes Mag disc brakes, Ritchey hubs and rims, Race Face crank and Thompson seatpost and stem. The four bar suspension was the best design available at the time this bike was made; nearly ten years later this suspension design is still valid.
    I've contacted Titus about replacement parts a number of times. Recently, it has become clear that Titus has taken a real step to provide real quality customer service to Titus bike owners. If you own a Titus; or are considering purchasing one, you can rest easy knowing that Titus will take care of you as a Titus bicycle owner. There are many companies that make good bicycles; it may be customer service that puts one company ahead of the others.
    With the price of bicycles these days; it would be nice to know that ten years down the road you can ride the bike you own today.
    Thank you Jeff for your help, if you ever swing through the Columbia Gorge, you can take it for a ride.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613
    I'm not sure of the exact year this Motolite was made; I believe this model was produced about 1999 or 2000.
    Great looking piece of history. I love the "Horst-Link" sticker.

Thanks for posting.
    Extreme stationary biker.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Same here

Service from Titus has been exceptional (compared to M...., K..., S............, and others I have worked with. They always seem to be cheerful and come out with a good solution for my customers and me.
    Your bike is in the 2000 catalog. Frame weight 6 pounds.

I just built a similar color Motolite yesterday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ronbo613
    2000 sounds about right. I think only the last year of this Motolite had tabs for disc brakes. The fork is a 2001 Bomber.
    This bike has been well used and well taken care of. The only real weak link is where the steel swingarm bolt goes into that aluminum piece on the swingarm. Even though I use blue Loctite to keep the bolt from working itself loose, it seems to unbolt after a period of time. Since parts are scarce, I will really have to keep an eye on it. Other than that, this bike still rides great.
    I have another bike, so this one will probably be used as a loaner to our friends who come to visit.

beer is good
    Hey, I had one of those. Rode it for 5 years.
    Great bike, way ahead of it's time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

mtbr member

Great Bike

Thanks for the posts guys- I enjoy seeing the bikes well cared for and enjoyed. Neat XTR mechs. Original paint still looks good.

ronbo613
    Great bike, way ahead of it's time.
    Pretty much a "top shelf" bike when it came out. The suspension design was definitely ahead of it's time.

"El Whatever"
    Ronbo... I can only say thanks!!

Stunning... atonishing... Thanks for sharing, bro!
    Check my Site

ronbo613
    If you visit the Columbia Gorge, you could probably take it for a ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Awesome. I'm glad to see that not only did Titus take care of you, but they got a 10 year old bike up and running. There aren't too many companies that can say that. Try finding parts for a 10 year old Specialized! Thanks again for sharing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AssClown
    Awesome. I'm glad to see that not only did Titus take care of you, but they got a 10 year old bike up and running. There aren't too many companies that can say that. Try finding parts for a 10 year old Specialized! Thanks again for sharing.

Heck, I had a 3 year old Specialized FSR that I could not get bushings for!

ronbo613
    It is clear that Titus has made customer service a priority, so if you own, or are planning to buy a Titus, you're in good shape. Jeff is a really cool guy, Titus made a good choice there.
    Now that Titus knows their bikes will last ten years; maybe they will stock replacement parts a little longer!
    Good bikes, good customer service; all good.