on my 3rd wind...

Versatile El Guapo!!!

Finally got couple setups on EG V3 that I am pretty stoked about. It was a long journey swapping many parts to fit my needs but I think I finally got it dialed.

First is 32.5lbs burly all-mtn 650B machine. I say "650B" since installing Conti TK 26", 2.4, yields outer tire diameter at 27.25". Notable components: Marz 55, 160mm, Ti RC3; TK 2.4 Black Chili; and Hope Pro 2 wheelset with DT Swiss EX 5.10 rim

Second is 29.4lbs enduro race 26er shredder. Notable components: Rock Shox Pike 650B version, 160mm, RCT3; Easton Haven Carbon wheelset; and Kenda 2.35 Excavator front/Blue Groove 2.35 rear.

With simple 30 min fork and wheel swap, it's ready to tackle any terrain I desire to ride .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Versatile El Guapo!!!-photo.jpg  

Versatile El Guapo!!!-photo2.jpg  

Versatile El Guapo!!!-photo3.jpg  

Versatile El Guapo!!!-photo4.jpg  

Last edited by SingleTrackHound; 09-15-2013 at 07:24 AM. Reason: to note 2nd setup is 26" wheel setup
    sth

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Nice combo sth!

Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackHound View Post
    Finally got couple setups on EG V3 that I am pretty stoked about. It was a long journey swapping many parts to fit my needs but I think I finally got it dialed.

First is 32.5lbs burly all-mtn 650B machine. I say "650B" since installing Conti TK 26", 2.4, yields outer tire diameter at 27.25". Notable components: Marz 55, 160mm, Ti RC3; TK 2.4 Black Chili; and Hope Pro 2 wheelset with DT Swiss EX 5.10 rim

Second is 29.4lbs enduro race shredder. Notable components: Rock Shox Pike 650B version, 160mm, RCT3; Easton Haven Carbon wheelset; and Kenda 2.35 Excavator front/Blue Groove 2.35 rear.

With simple 30 min fork and wheel swap, it's ready to tackle any terrain I desire to ride .
    How do you like the pike, do tell

mtbr member
    How do you like the pike, do tell
    Pike is the boobies, on any bike
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

on my 3rd wind...
    Pike is an amazing fork. Rock Shox has hit a home run with this fork for sure provided that it does not develop reliability issue. This fork was the first thing I swapped out before going out for ride. I could tell EG became instantly nimble. It doesnt have the quite the suppleness of Marz 55 at super slow speed stuff but once bike gets moving at moderate speed it becomes very plush and tracks the terrain just as well. During ride fork rides high in its travel and does not wallow at all. I am running 52psi (10psi less than recommendation) with no token. When I am done with 3hr mostly smooth singletrack ride the fork still have 1.5" unused travel left as indicated by o-ring on the stanchion but I can almost bottom the fork by slamming the handlebar down. It weighs just under 4lbs with cut steerer tube and weight saving 1.1lbs on the fork is instantly apparent during ride. I can't say one bad thing about this fork. It's almost stiff as 55 and I have not noticed any flex what so ever during ride. One of the reason why I bought this fork is to raise the bottom bracket height since 160mm 650B version has 552mm A/C height almost as tall as Lyrik 170mm. And it certainly has done that while slacking out the head angle to 65.5 deg without messing up the EG's climbing ability. By far the Pike has been the most beneficial upgrade I've made to my bike.
    sth

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Sounds like it lives up to the previous reputation of the Pike. Thanks for the comparison to the 55, that gives me a good ballpark on this thing. Bet it's the perfect platform for el G29 too...if it ever comes out of hiding

"El Whatever"
    So, what is the geometry in the V3 version of the EG?
    Is there a V4 version?
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Is the Easton Haven rim 650b?

If so, what is the clearance like on the rear triangle with the suspension compressed?

on my 3rd wind...
    @Warp, my EG V3 with Pike 160mm 650B fork (542mm AC) measured 65 deg head angle iPhone app. BBH of around ~13.1". All this at rocker mounted on most forward (progressive) mounting hole. When rocker is mounted to lower hole (factory setup when frame is shipped), HA slacks another 1 deg and BBH lowers ~0.2".

@Thug, if you read post carefully I was simply making a joke that I got a 650B bike by simply installing Conti TK 2.4 tire. TK is a 26" tire but it has a such a huge volume that the diameter measured out to be 27.25". And no Easton haven carbon wheel is not a 650B, it's 26". Only real 650B part I have is RS PIKE 160M fork. I did that to change the geo on my EG and lighten it up.
    sth

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    V4, hmm 27.5" rubber is nice, but couple other versatile frame options come to mind : ) ...if there's gonna be a V4?
    Last edited by Deerhill; 09-14-2013 at 01:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    @Warp, my EG V3 with Pike 160mm 650B fork (542mm AC) measured 65 deg head angle iPhone app. BBH of around ~13.1". All this at rocker mounted on most forward (progressive) mounting hole. When rocker is mounted to lower hole (factory setup when frame is shipped), HA slacks another 1 deg and BBH lowers ~0.2".

@Thug, if you read post carefully I was simply making a joke that I got a 650B bike by simply installing Conti TK 2.4 tire. TK is a 26" tire but it has a such a huge volume that the diameter measured out to be 27.25". And no Easton haven carbon wheel is not a 650B, it's 26". Only real 650B part I have is RS PIKE 160M fork. I did that to change the geo on my EG and lighten it up.
    My EG has the same rubber and a 170mm fork (Marz 55CR) - feel like i wont be needing a 650b bike any time soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prancisfena View Post
    My EG has the same rubber and a 170mm fork (Marz 55CR) - feel like i wont be needing a 650b bike any time soon.
    Nope you don't... I almost succumb to the 27.5 hype or at least from reading initially. But with a large vol rubber on 26 assuming no clearance issue-- its hardly a diff after having a go on few occasions on both sizes within the same day. Hoard a few 26 rims and rubbers though. Mfrs don't like us "resistant-to-change" lot very much

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den View Post
    Nope you don't... I almost succumb to the 27.5 hype or at least from reading initially. But with a large vol rubber on 26 assuming no clearance issue-- its hardly a diff after having a go on few occasions on both sizes within the same day. Hoard a few 26 rims and rubbers though. Mfrs don't like us "resistant-to-change" lot very much
    The interesting thing is go to your local LBS with a tape measure and measure the tire diameter of a new 27.5 bike. I did just that and was a little surprised that it measured 27". Like you, I have big tires on my 26" bike and the diameter of those wheels are 27" also. I assume with the bigger rims, the diameter will get larger when bigger tires come out? This was some KHS hardtail. I actually asked the guy if it really was a 27.5 bike.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Yeah, most of them have been pinner xc type..

56mm taper HT beefed up 83mm threaded bb would make a sweet V4

mtbr member

Aaah.

I assumed that because you had a 650b Pike, those Easton's were 650b.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Yeah, most of them have been pinner xc type..

56mm taper HT beefed up 83mm threaded bb would make a sweet V4
    83MM? Hmmm. Not sure about that one
    but swapping out my front pogo now for a lowered RV-1 seems very doable...
    That's probably the last thing I'll do on my V1. Pretty much done with all the tweakings after ~4.5 yrs on this bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Iscg breathing room, would be nice to use it w/ affordable triple style drivetrain (long live 9sp). Can always be faced down.

RV-1?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    180 double...36mm.. I like where this is headed

mtbr member

Teaser

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    180 double...36mm.. I like where this is headed
    Versatile El Guapo!!!-c5v39kf0y1haypohkp8ymrtr5ng_xi-dpdscynpb37k.jpg
    ...pulled a heist on Santa before his official delivery as usual
    You guys should start seeing them in the shops maybe next month.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Egcellent

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    @ STH how's your Pike holding up to EG after a couple months ride time, you put some mileage on it?

on my 3rd wind...
    I sure did. It is a great performing fork. Raised my BBH to somewhat livable height at 13.0" and plushness is only slightly below Marz 55. Still can't get over the stiffness the fork is when it only weighs 3.97lbs. Unfortunately fork developed a creaky crown after few rides. It went out for repair to RS and just got it back. RS replaced the upper and lower. I just got back from Hurricane bike trip and it absolutely rocked! Towards the end of the trip I thought I heard some creak again when I grabbed the front brake...not sure though. I need to pull the fork out and inspect it again to see if it again developed creak.
    sth

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

They all seem to

Wanted this one to not creak! (very cool RS replaced the lower too though)