mtbr member

US vs. UK Pricing

I am a looking at picking up a El Guapo frame, but I am confused at the Titus pricing variance between the UK On-One website and the US Shop.titusti.com website. I can buy the same EG frame in the UK for $825 + $67 shipping for a total price of $893.28. Or I can buy from the US site at $999.99 + $20.99 shipping for a total price of $1020.98. Can someone please explain the rational for a product manufactured in the US being cheaper to ship to the UK and then ship back to the US, than buying the product from the US distributor directly? I am seriously considering the EG as my next frame, but stuff like this makes me wonder if anyone is minding the store at the US distributor.

Also, if anyone has opinions on the BB height and pedal strikes, they would be appreciated. I live in CO and do a lot of technical climbing, I afraid that the sagged BB height may be too low.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by davemk View Post
    I am a looking at picking up a El Guapo frame, but I am confused at the Titus pricing variance between the UK On-One website and the US Shop.titusti.com website. I can buy the same EG frame in the UK for $825 + $67 shipping for a total price of $893.28. Or I can buy from the US site at $999.99 + $20.99 shipping for a total price of $1020.98. Can someone please explain the rational for a product manufactured in the US being cheaper to ship to the UK and then ship back to the US, than buying the product from the US distributor directly? I am seriously considering the EG as my next frame, but stuff like this makes me wonder if anyone is minding the store at the US distributor.

Also, if anyone has opinions on the BB height and pedal strikes, they would be appreciated. I live in CO and do a lot of technical climbing, I afraid that the sagged BB height may be too low.
    fyi, EG is not manufactured in the US. it is manufactured in taiwan

its normal i think, different country and different place incur different cost. Not sure if purchase from UK to US incur any additional tax or not on top of the slower delivery speed from UK.

mtbr member
    The titus website says they are built in America. Bottom of the page.

Titus Bicycles US - About Us

I'm not 100% sure but from the comments on the ON-ONE forum, it seems like people who have purchased bikes from ON-ONE UK haven't had any import duties imposed on purchases.

mtbr member
    El Guapo is one of the few frames that is made in Taiwan, most are made at SAPA in Portland. However, with SAPA abandoning the the bike biz, that leaves very few USA builders. Most will be looking overseas to Taiwan for production. As far as pedal strikes go, yeah it will happen. You can minimize it by becoming aware of your pedal position. Go with 170mm cranks. I live in Tahoe and we have similar techy climbing, I've been riding the EG for three years now and love it. Pedal strikes are the price you pay for a great handling frame, if the BB height gets above 13.5", the CG gets too high and the bike doesnt handle well. PM me if you want to purchase from the US site, I can help you out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by davemk View Post

I made a post similar to this just today, and haven't had any responses yet. I want the EG large in white with the CCDB Air rar shock, and only On-One carries the setup like this. I can get it for ~$1200 shipped to me in CA, but don't know what duties/taxes/tariffs apply. Would love some guidance here since I can't order it from Titus this way, I have to go through On-One.

@craigstr, can you help me make the purchase?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Wondering if anyone else has bought this setup yet...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I bought a V3 large in the raw finish with the ccdb shock. It took 17 days and there was no other charges other than the cost of the frame and the shipping charges. I live in Long Beach, Ca. I think you will be very happy with your choice, once you ride the new design.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by doralswheels View Post
    I bought a V3 large in the raw finish with the ccdb shock. It took 17 days and there was no other charges other than the cost of the frame and the shipping charges. I live in Long Beach, Ca. I think you will be very happy with your choice, once you ride the new design.
    Great to hear. I ordered the Large V3 w/CCDB about a week ago and am gonna build it up with the Marzocchi 55 RC3 Evo Ti. I've been on a SC Blur Carbon XC and am excited to build up my very own first custom rig; The Carbon XC wasn't cutting it on the hills here in NorCal. It'll be exciting learning all the ins and outs of building my own bike.

p.s. anyone in the market for a 2010 Blur Carbon XC? =)