Thread: Updated EG!

a tight kick sound

Updated EG!

This baby has been around a while but finally got some new goods for her! Can't wait to get some dirt time. Need to dial the suspension in. Any suggestions are welcome on suspension notes for these two (RC2DH and Vivid Air- thanks Renny!)!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Updated EG!-img_20130323_185523.jpg  

Updated EG!-img_20130323_185401.jpg  

Last edited by boone; 03-25-2013 at 03:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Very nice rig!

Do you consider dropper post? reverb would be great I think

a tight kick sound
    Would love to get one. Trying to decide if it's worth the unreal amount of coin for one or not!

mtbr member
    I'm a dropper junkie... but objectively, if your usual rides is a one way ticket up and then some long down... then probably not worth it.

But if they are a never ending series of roller-coasting terrain-- then its something you probably don't want to miss out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Great Guapo!
    Question: Is there enough space for vivid and doesnt it rub rocker/mounts anywhere?
    Im' going to put vivid on my guapo too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

nice

Quote Originally Posted by boone View Post
    Would love to get one. Trying to decide if it's worth the unreal amount of coin for one or not!
    I've wanted a pooper post for so long and still say the same thing, well both. Top of the hill "too expensive/heavy", at the middle or bottom "fack, I'm buy'n!"

mtbr member
    Very nice.

I have a Reverb on my EG. Best money I've spent on the bike!

a tight kick sound
    Thanks Guys!
    Mishgun1- Vivid is surely a tight fit but as far as I can tell there is not contact at any point throughout the travel. Needs some fine tuning to get it dialed just right. I'm not there yet!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Kind of OT, does anyone know offset on the lyrik? I never tried one and am noticing the axle in the pic is looking forward compared to fox

a tight kick sound
    Not sure Deerhill. Can't find it anywhere on the web. I'll measure if it will give you some basis for comparison?

a tight kick sound

Shake-down

Shake-down ride felt good
    Whole set-up is definitely slacker than I had expected. Tough on the climbs but handled all the regular steep stuff on my standard ride no problem with VERY little wandering (this is a medium so slightly small for me and expected this to happen- but the shorter TT and slack HA are a definite plus in the other direction!).
    Boy oh boy though. On the downhill this bike set up like this is waaaaay faster than I expected it to be. And strangely quiet! I couldn't understand what was happening for a second. The bike picked up speed to where I expected it to settle in...and it kept accelerating. Very surprising feeling!
    Fork is running at ~55psi (I'm 195lbs) with 3 clicks of low speed compression and 4 clicks of high speed. Forgot to write down the rebound- damnit! Fork settles in at about 25% normal sag while seated and over 35% when I stand on it. Feels reeeeally smooth on the way down.
    Shock is running about 190psi with 3 clicks end rebound, 2 clicks from "off" on compression and 4-5 clicks from slow on beginning rebound.
    Will continue to play around with settings.

Dropper post is gonna be a must!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Updated EG!-img_20130326_183551.jpg  

Updated EG!-img_20130326_185837.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Lyrik sounds sweet.. I'll find the info somewhere no worries, not even sure what the fox is either, more offset and shorter stem just something I've been thinking about lately

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Very nice rig! Once again, another example of why I'm thinking its time to get one

a tight kick sound
    Metalray- I highly recommend getting one. They are cheap new and DIRT cheap used!

Deerhill- I'm really liking this combo: Chromag OSX Fubars, Chromag HiFi 50mm stem with Lyrik set to 170. If I were racing anything other than DH/Enduro or climbing all day I'd want a longer stem. But then again if I were climbing all day or doing a XC race I would be on the 456C!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Lyrik sounds sweet.. I'll find the info somewhere no worries, not even sure what the fox is either, more offset and shorter stem just something I've been thinking about lately
    My 2 centavos. Was initially worried if I would be too much "over the bar" but the 35mm stem has seen the longest service on the EG compared to my other stems and not likely to swap it back to anything else (unless going back down to ~700mm bars which I don't see as quite likely either). HA isn't the slackest on this frame but not a problem with a more forward bias position either (at least for me).

Offset @ full extension
    Lyrik 40mm +/- 0.5mm
    Fox36 37.5mm +/- 2.5mm

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

must be the white I am seeing

My Van is black and has the axle a little further down.. don't think I would spot a measly 3mm in a pic

Thanks man, you know my next question ; ) what's the Vengeance?

Outcast
    Boone, how much sag are you running on the vivid? Did you change the compression settings from where I had them? This will give me a reference so I can maybe help you tune it to your liking.
    Last edited by Renegade; 03-27-2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: ....

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by boone View Post
    Boone, guess what I have in my parts collection? I traded a rear shock I had for a reverb. I prefer the gravity dropper I had on my guapo, and I'm putting that back on.Works great, and I don't want an arm and a leg for it. You have my e-mail address.....!

mtbr member
    My Van is black and has the axle a little further down.. don't think I would spot a measly 3mm in a pic

Thanks man, you know my next question ; ) what's the Vengeance?
    Unfortunately I have no idea... and it doesnt seem to exist anywhere. Not even on my "x-files". Anyway their A-C has never been industrial std-- usually longer. And that really changes the bike handling more than anything else... on the EG, its so far been a positive thing for me. Can't say it is a good thing for all bikes or diff riders...

a tight kick sound
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Boone, guess what I have in my parts collection? I traded a rear shock I had for a reverb. I prefer the gravity dropper I had on my guapo, and I'm putting that back on.Works great, and I don't want an arm and a leg for it. You have my e-mail address.....!
    Uh oh....

a tight kick sound
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Boone, how much sag are you running on the vivid? Did you change the compression settings from where I had them? This will give me a reference so I can maybe help you tune it to your liking.
    I changed it a little bit after a little riding. Running about 30%, maybe a little more in sag. Kept the same end-stroke rebound I think, lowered the compression a fair bit and I think I have the beginning rebound the same, maybe a hair closer to slow.

Think I have it good now. The compression setting is quite a bit more sensitive than I expected. 4-5 clicks in from off is amazingly stiff for climbing and down to 2-3 it's waaaay plush for the DH. With 4-5 clicks I can't even get past half stroke on the DH even at the 30+% sag setting. Is this thing really that sensitive over just a few clicks of compression? Mid stroke control is out of this world!

NOT Team Sanchez
    Looks good, Boone. As your El Guapo becomes updated mine continues to grow outdated, but it's still the best bike I've ever owned.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Nice list for rake/offset from the suspension forum Standard rake/offset for suspension forks?

mtbr member

:thumbsup:

Nice list for rake/offset from the suspension forum Standard rake/offset for suspension forks?
    39mm for the Slant. Interesting. Now I'm gonna be the next trial-style mountain biker. Front wheel pivot over tight switchbacks here I come