mtbr member

Update on the Monarch RT3 & 2x10

So finally got out after a really long winter. I must say the Monarch is a much better shock then the RP23 supplied with the 2010 El Guapo. It has much more mid stroke support and much less wallow. In the firmest setting it hardly bobs at all even under uneven pedalling. In the middle setting, it felt like it opened up when it needed to but stayed fairly firm under even pedalling forces. In the open setting it just felt great, I was able to set it at about 28% sag (155 psi, I weigh 180) and use all but the last 1/4" of travel. The rear end felt glued to the trail. My other major upgrade was a X-9 2x10 drive train. 26/39 up front, 11-36 rear. I was a little weary because I like to push the middle ring and I was afraid I wouldnt be able to but the 39-36 combo seemed just a little but harder to turn then my old 34-34. Shifts were crisp and quick with no issues. I had one section of climb that I had to go granny and the 26-36 felt just a bit harder to turn then the 22-34, it felt more like a 22-32. I rarely used the granny gear before so this should work out perfectly!
    Last edited by craigstr; 04-19-2011 at 06:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update!
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

what's that rattle?
    Good to hear. Is this one of the shocks from Titus tuned for the EG? Which year of RP23 and which air can size were you comparing it to?

I'd also be interested to hear your opinions on the Dueller and/or Vivid on the Guapo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Good to hear

How's the bunny hop affected wide open, still 1/4 travel left?

155psi would smell fishy on the RP poopee= righteous BO

Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    In the open setting it just felt great, I was able to set it at about 28% sag (155 psi, I weigh 180) and use all but the last 1/4" of travel.
    Monarch starting to sound good. Might be time to go back to air, hell $200 sumthin from Titus is a deal..

mtbr member

Not sure what you mean?

I had the 2010 RP23 HV can w/ low tune. Hated it from the first day. I tried shimming it with several different sized materials. It just never felt right. I never really hit anything large on the shakedown ride except maybe some 2' drops, had to bunny hop some puddles at speed and had no problems. I used to always feel the RP23 either bottoming or spiking, the best thing I can say about the Monarch is that I didnt feel it, it just did what it was supposed to seemlessly. I was going to throw the Diverse on my new Delirium for a shakedown ride, after I mounted it I noticed it was dripping fluid out of the "H" compression adjust knob, not good. Guess it is going back to the factory, it has like 15 minutes of driveway test time on it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I had the same RP.. Just meant the RP would be plush set up wide open, but it would bottom like that. And I tried it completely shimmed.

Adding pressure to prevent BO just meant having to slow the rebound way down= not as plush or active.

Was asking the bunny hop thing because sometimes I can tell a good shock if it's plush/active without bucking, and it doesn't come close to bottom out with a good hard hop. Hope that's more clear, kind of hard to put into words.

Sounds like the Titus tune nailed it. Good to hear