Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Twisted Titanium

I thought this was pretty neat. The Lynskey Helix road frame uses a twisted Titanium top tube. Check it out.

Lynsky Video showing how Ti frames are made.

http://tinyurl.com/caebxx

Lynsky Video of how their Ti frames are finished.

http://tinyurl.com/ca85tf

Sopwithcamel
    Last edited by sopwithcamel; 05-05-2009 at 05:12 AM.

"El Whatever"
    Cool... gotta love how road manufacturers try to justify their ridiculous prices with weird shapes. Anyone remember the Pinarello Dogma??
    Check my Site

Ultimated Outsider
    If it does not make you faster it useless, but it looks cool though.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Well by twisting it like that you increase the tubes Polar moment of Inertia and Area moment of inertia. In plain English, by twisting the tube like that it becomes torrosionally and laterally stiffer. Titanium is a nice frame building material but its Specific Modulus (Modulus of Elasticity divided by its Density) is not as aluminum or carbon fiber. So to get the frame stiffness desired for the frame it all ways forced the frame builder to spec wider and thicker diameter tubes then what was required for the actual tensile strength of the frame.

Sopwithcamel

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Cool... gotta love how road manufacturers try to justify their ridiculous prices with weird shapes. Anyone remember the Pinarello Dogma??
    We'll see if this is a truly tangible improvement or not.

Litespeed has been doing that GET tubing for years and (over)charging ridiculous prices for standard geo frames. Their GET tubing isn't even tubing. It's formed sheet Ti. The appearance is subtle, and then you get the usual ABG baggage associated with their builds.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The Lightspeed GET tubing sounds like a fancy name for external butting. Lynskey tubing manipulation might be the next step beyond that. Speaking of tubing manipulation; the other day I asked Scott Nicol of Ibis bikes if it's possible to hyroform Titanium. He though so but figured the spring back of the material might be a problem. If Ibis introduces a Hydroformed Titanium frame next year you can blame me. Opps, just googled! A company called "Van Nicholas" produces a Ti frame called the Astraeus with Hydro formed tubing. You know you just got to love technology.

Sopwithcamel

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by sopwithcamel
    Well by twisting it like that you increase the tubes Polar moment of Inertia and Area moment of inertia.

Sopwithcamel
    I dunno... if you look at one of the pics of the tubes, the twisted tube comes from an actually round tube which will have a higher Polar MOI as more of it's actual cross section area is outwards of the square shape formed by the twisting.

Being the same tube, the mass and weight remain the same.

It'd be good to run the numbers... or better yet, doing some DT.
    Check my Site

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Helix is off the shizzle

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    twisted tube = longer tubes = more weight, right?
    ride fast...take chances...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Depends how they do. By twisting the tubes they may be able to use smaller diameter tubes. So check the weight.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    I don't care if it improves the performance, I WANT IT

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Yah, she is a beautiful bike. At the end of August I sent Lynskey Performance a question asking why they don't electropolish their frames. They sent me a email back asking if I could give them a steer to a vendor. So I did. So now I am thinking they are going to have a super shiny Lynskey's at Interbike and it going to be all my fault. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Flystagg
    I don't care if it improves the performance, I WANT IT
    now thats what i'm talkin about! we speak the same language

my current "project" with Lynskey is looking too like it will have the Helix as well and should be badazz for sure! that is, assuming my OCD does not scare away Mark

Seeeriously easy Livin
    Your building up another lynskey, (counting the on one), as crazy as you are I'm still looking forward to the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Flystagg
    Your building up another lynskey, (counting the on one), as crazy as you are I'm still looking forward to the results.
    yep...its gonna be very psick. have all the parts except headset, fork, and of course frame finalized

banned

I've been wondering

what the hell was wrong with my downtube. I thought it was just all the torque I had been laying to it twisted it up that way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Seeeriously easy Livin
    Your toptube looks a bit droopy to, I'd keep an eye on that might be manufacturing defect

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sopwithcamel
    Well by twisting it like that you increase the tubes Polar moment of Inertia and Area moment of inertia. In plain English, by twisting the tube like that it becomes torrosionally and laterally stiffer. Titanium is a nice frame building material but its Specific Modulus (Modulus of Elasticity divided by its Density) is not as aluminum or carbon fiber. So to get the frame stiffness desired for the frame it all ways forced the frame builder to spec wider and thicker diameter tubes then what was required for the actual tensile strength of the frame.

Sopwithcamel
    yea, thats some highly advanced sh1t there. they've only been using this cutting edge "twisted bar" design in metal porch fences and gates since what like the 50's?

Quote Originally Posted by salimoneus
    yea, thats some highly advanced sh1t there. they've only been using this cutting edge "twisted bar" design in metal porch fences and gates since what like the 50's?

who cares about all that hocus pocus...i got it cuz the chicks dig it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Helix tubes are really ghey. Only someone like Fo would find it desirable.

Does it cost extra?

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Helix tubes are really ghey. Only someone like Fo would find it desirable.

Does it cost extra?
    I know you r but what am i? u r clearly very jealous

and for the record, i DID want it for xtra stiffness cuz of my gnar riding - you wouldnt understand

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You probably want to be gnar like mikesee and are clearly an attention and post whore. Why don't you grow out your hair and make a big/stiff Helix ponytail while you're at it. I have to go ponder hub colors.

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    I know you r but what am i? u r clearly very jealous

and for the record, i DID want it for xtra stiffness cuz of my gnar riding - you wouldnt understand

Ti is addictive
    You probably want to be gnar like mikesee and are clearly an attention and post whore. Why don't you grow out your hair and make a big/stiff Helix ponytail while you're at it. I have to go ponder hub colors.

Weird, mines not coming with any Helix tubing, just a lot of bending of tubes
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you knew what Fo was like, you would know that his obsession goes into really unhealthy levels. He is also an attention-whore (mentioned twice now) so he must have what others don't. I'm surprised he didn't do a half-Helix bike for some insane reason that only make sense to him.

Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Weird, mines not coming with any Helix tubing, just a lot of bending of tubes

Ti is addictive
    If you knew what Fo was like, you would know that his obsession goes into really unhealthy levels. He is also an attention-whore (mentioned twice now) so he must have what others don't. I'm surprised he didn't do a half-Helix bike for some insane reason that only make sense to him.

Well they have Helix tubing for Stays, Downtube, and Toptube, guess no seatube as you'd need a corkscrew for a seatpost I would assume.

I still haven't figured what he's building as he seems to bounce from one bike to another.....he seems to bounce between HT to 6 inch travel bike every 4 months, so I'm stumped.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast