mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Transferring Motolite Components From Med to Large Frame?

Hi,

I bought a medium frame Motolite new back in 2007 and I love it. The bike shop measured me and everything and said the medium was a great fit. They didn't have a large in stock so I didn't try it for comparison.

I feel like the medium size is too small for me. Even with the seatpost maxed out, I am still not able to extend my legs enough to pedal comfortably and I'm having to bend over too far to reach the handlebars which is resulting in back pain.

I should have probably bought a large, but I was thinking of finding a large frame and transferring my components to it. Other than the frame size, is there any component difference between the medium and large...was wondering specifically about the fork.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rob

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crtfour View Post
    Hi,

I bought a medium frame Motolite new back in 2007 and I love it. The bike shop measured me and everything and said the medium was a great fit. They didn't have a large in stock so I didn't try it for comparison.

I feel like the medium size is too small for me. Even with the seatpost maxed out, I am still not able to extend my legs enough to pedal comfortably and I'm having to bend over too far to reach the handlebars which is resulting in back pain.

I should have probably bought a large, but I was thinking of finding a large frame and transferring my components to it. Other than the frame size, is there any component difference between the medium and large...was wondering specifically about the fork.

Rob
    How tall are you? I am 6" with 34" inseem and ride a large. Medium felt way to small.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam.

Bike to the Bone...
    I'm 5'11" as well and ran a med ML. I don't remember my inseam. I think that there were no changes in components between sizes (the only one, as far as I remember, was shock size on the small one).

Dozer
    You shouldn't have any issues transferring your components. You'll have to run new shifter cables, but chances are you're due for new ones anyway. The brake lines should be close enough without warranting new hydro hoses. The geometry for each size is the same, so the fork should be no problem to switch -- although the head tubes might be slightly different lengths, so you might need to watch your fork's steerer tube length.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam.
    Actually, you are right on the cusp of medium/large. I would still go with a medium.

All of the components should transfer over but the head tube is a little different. The medium has a 4.5" head tube while the large has a 5.5" head tube. Depending upon how your fork is set up now, it could be a problem.

mtbr member
    Looks like the head tube is 1" longer on the large frame. http://www.titusti.com/bikes/motolite.html#

I'm 6'0 with 32" inseam (pants inseam that is) and I ride a large. Often wish I was on medium. Seems to me you'd be fine on a medium, but I say ride what's comfortable and it sounds like you're not.

Might try a longer stem and/or setback seatpost. If you have spacers on top of your stem, try putting under the stem to raise it up a bit. Probably cheaper and a lot less effort than a frame swap.

Lightly salted
    Hi,

Rob
    The only thing you might have a problem with is if the large frame head tube is longer than the medium frame head tube. You may not be able to use the fork it's its steerer tube is to short to use on the large frame. Besides that maybe some of your cables for brakes and shifters may need to be longer for a large frame.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Hi,

Rob
    From your description it seems that reach is not the issue, just the vertical fit. The large may cause other fit problems.

Get a longer seat post so you can raise the saddle and a stem with more riser and/or a riser bar so you are not as bent over.

I have a 34+" inseam and can get the saddle high enough on a medium frame.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    From your description it seems that reach is not the issue, just the vertical fit. The large may cause other fit problems.

Get a longer seat post so you can raise the saddle and a stem with more riser and/or a riser bar so you are not as bent over.

I have a 34+" inseam and can get the saddle high enough on a medium frame.
    with drop bars and a 45 degree rise stem. thanks for the insight on precise fit though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm 5'11 w/ a 32" inseam, as well (though I do have weirdly long arms), and ride a large ML that I definitely wish was a medium. It's not any one thing that feels too big -- standover is borderline, but OK; reach is good w/ a 90mm stem; seatpost isn't pushed all the way in or anything -- but the total effect is that when I saddle up, it feels like a big ass bike.
    It's weird to hop on my 29er for a ride and feel like it's small by comparison.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Velveeta View Post
    with drop bars and a 45 degree rise stem. thanks for the insight on precise fit though.
    The bar and stem used do not affect saddle height.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    5'11" and 32" inseam here too, and I'm riding a ML medium. Perfect. Had a large in brand X (Cannondale) and it fit well too - I think it just depends on the bike brand/model when you are in between sizes as we are. It was recommended that I buy the medium over the large and glad I did. I use a Thompson masterpiece seatpost (non-setback - works fine) and a Thompson 90mm stem. Like I said, perfect. OB, sure you want the extra strech out of a large size frame? I would expect your front end will push in turns though going downhill it will feel more stable. But, I'll bet there's a weight penalty of 1/2-1 pound going with the large.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hey thanks guys for all the responses. Sounds like the medium should be the correct size for my height/inseam. I will play around with a longer seatpost and a riser bar and hopefully that will do the trick.

Rob

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    do those panaracer tires come with a free bowl of soup?
    Last edited by Velveeta; 06-24-2011 at 08:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The bar and stem used do not affect saddle height.
    You look like a monkey humping a football when you ride that thing. hey... maybe you could write a review of your mom's basement while you're at it.
    Last edited by Velveeta; 06-24-2011 at 08:34 PM.