Thread: Titus X in MBA

mtbr member

Titus X in MBA

Forum has been a little quiet on the new X
    Here is MBA take on it all

http://titusti.com/07/press/09X_MountainBikeAction.pdf

interesting comment about rear triagle flex - considering same rear triangle - light rail etc is on the FTM

Cheers from downunder

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I never saw anything about the rear triangle flex on the 4 pages of the download. I have the new FTM and the Light Rail is super stiff. Not sure who they had riding the thing or what their bias is, but I am 175 (185 w/gear) and in no way have a felt even the slightest flex out of the rear.

In regards to MBA, I think its the worst mountain biking rag out there. They have extreme loyalties to certain manufacturers and simply refuse to review particular others. It's full of ads and pics and not enough unbiased feed back and reviews. I for one never read their crappy periodical!!!

mtbr member

lateral movt

The sentence I was refering to is under descending

" Wrecking crewers did note slight lateral movement in the rear triangle during braking while entering high speed fire road corners "

To me could be either slightly softer sidewall of the small block or not inflated correctly rather than rear triangle issue.

I ride Carb RX and STIFF AS with my FTM finally landed in godzone and on the courier ....
    LBS to build her up tomorrow.

ಠ_ಠ
    Quote Originally Posted by mw04snow
    The sentence I was refering to is under descending

" Wrecking crewers did note slight lateral movement in the rear triangle during braking while entering high speed fire road corners "

To me could be either slightly softer sidewall of the small block or not inflated correctly rather than rear triangle issue.

I ride Carb RX and STIFF AS with my FTM finally landed in godzone and on the courier ....
    LBS to build her up tomorrow.

Right could definitely be from the lighter tire. I only just found this out first hand. I recently read a review of my tires (Geax Barro 2.3 TNT), and the reviewer wrote that the minimum pressure he could use without getting squirmy sidewalls was 33psi. I had been using 29psi, which is the minimum stated pressure on the tire. This past weekend I aired the rear up to 33psi, and the entire bike felt more solid. I've riding on a flexy rear tire for more than a year thinking that it was the frame the whole time.
    Last edited by dulyebr; 03-24-2009 at 07:09 AM.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    Right could definitely be from the lighter tire. I only just found this out first hand. I recently read a review of my tires (Geax Barro 2.3 TNT), and the reviewer wrote that the minimum pressure he could use without getting squirmy sidewalls was 33psi. I have been using 29psi, which is the minimum stated pressure on the tire. This past weekend I aired the rear up to 33psi, and the entire bike felt more solid. I've riding on a flexy rear tire for more than a year thinking that it was the frame the whole time.
    I first ran a set of Mavic Crossland wheels on the ML. I never felt the bike as stiff as I've read, until I tried other wheels.... whatadifference..

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The key to word is "during braking" which means that some how the braking forces are causing lateral flex.

Sopwithacmel

mtbr member
    The review was very favorable though. The lateral movement during breaking was the only negative....although they just couldn't resist working in one of their favorite manufacturer's names in the last sentence.

mtbr member
    Ah I missed that .....
    I still reckon it wa sthe tyre sidewall flexing
    Anyway my FTM - being built up as we speak ? the first FTM out of the US ??

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Actually, I sounds more like a bending moment induced by the rear brake caliper under braking, casing the left seat stay to defect laterally.

Hurry up and finish your FTM already! Plus we demand pictures!

Sopwithcamel

mtbr member
    Took FTM quick spin yest , but needs a bit of set up work
    140 TALAS with 15mm are STIFF as no deflection etc - see how plush once worn in.
    Rear susp hard to tell as rear tyre deflating ( need to reseal tubeless ) but coming from Carb RX its like riding on an easy chair.
    Climbing great but more active in PP than RX , will report more when I get geometry finally sorted .
    Ano Orange in the sinlight is amazing - photos dont do justice

dog
    sit! stay!
    crikey! wish they'd reviewed the FTM first...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Knowing how MBA liked the Motolite in the past, they will be in no hurry to write that review. For the simple reason that as soon as they right the review, they will have to give the bike back to Titus.

Sopwithcamel

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'll have my Ti FTM frame tomorrow. Swapping all of the bits (-seat-post) from my 08 Ti ML tomorrow night. It will be an exact comparison regarding stiffness and all the other stuff.
    I'll even do the subjective dropout squeeze right out of the box.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I am looking forward to seeing that comparison and review Orthorex, should be a beautiful bike once it is all built up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TejasMTB
    I never saw anything about the rear triangle flex on the 4 pages of the download. I have the new FTM and the Light Rail is super stiff. Not sure who they had riding the thing or what their bias is, but I am 175 (185 w/gear) and in no way have a felt even the slightest flex out of the rear.

In regards to MBA, I think its the worst mountain biking rag out there. They have extreme loyalties to certain manufacturers and simply refuse to review particular others. It's full of ads and pics and not enough unbiased feed back and reviews. I for one never read their crappy periodical!!!
    I read the article too. The frame looked too small for the rider in the pictures which may account for some of the flex. I also wonder if they noted some flex compared to the full aluminum rear end of the older titus bikes? I didn't feel the article was that positive. There just wasn't much meat to the article. I was expecting a glorious review, and was a little disappointed. I wonder if they're siding some with Chris at Pivot.

Had the bike been made by Trek or Specialized, I'm sure the bike would have the ability to "walk on water". What a coincidence, the bike makers that put the largest ads in the magazine, get the best reviews.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Slow1..... A couple of facts, MBAction was really hard on Trek when they review the old Fuel. In fact it forced Trek to speed development and release of the new Fuel. As for Specialized MBA liked both the new Epic and the Stumper Jumper but they didn't like the Specialized 's specific suspension components as they were having reliability issues and require really precise setup.

As for the Titus X, Titus did shave a lot of grams off the Light Rail rear end. The original rear end on the Titus Racer-X was never really optimized for weight, stiffness, and strength using Finite Element Analysis, the crew at Titus just slowly evolved it over several years. I must add they did an amazing job.

Specialized, Cannonade, Trek and Giant all have million dollar Test Labs for testing and optimizing there bikes. Titus still has to do their R & D testing the old fashioned way, they actually have to go out and ride their bikes. As a result they do not get as many test bikes to hone each years design. Currently as we speak Titus is hard at work designing the 2010 bikes so the more feed back they get on the 2009 bikes the better the 2010 bikes will be.

So Titus Jeff, if you’re listening, please add Hi Modulas Carbon chainstays, to the 2010 “Titus X”. Ibis uses a company called “Inda Composite Technologies” in Shenzhen China. By all accounts they do some very beautiful work.

Here is the link to the company: http://www.inda-nano.com/

Sopwithcamel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sopwithcamel
    Slow1..... A couple of facts, MBAction was really hard on Trek when they review the old Fuel. In fact it forced Trek to speed development and release of the new Fuel.

Sopwithcamel
    I'm just got sick of hearing about the new trek rear suspension design. It seemed like MBAction managed to place a trek comment in every topic.

I don't understand why they were so hard on trek before about the suspension not being supple when braking, most of the reviews on bikes now that are firm under braking are described as: "let the brakes off before the rough stuff to enjoy the travel". Isn't that another way of saying the suspension is not as smooth with braking?

Sorry to highjack the thread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Why are getting upset about a Trek when you should be out riding? It's not like you or I would be caught dead riding on one. None of the MBA wrecking crew ride Trek's. Last time I counted half the MBA editorial staff were riding ethier a Titus Motolite or Racer-X. These are bikes they actually payed for with their own hard earned money.

Your also right about the braking Issues on the Trek. It does suffer from brake lock out the of the rear suspension because it's not a true Horest Link bike. Trek's ABP is as close as Trek could get to a Horst Link with out infringing on the Specilized own patent. But just wait, in three years time the market will be flooded with Horset Link bikes because the patent expires October 21, 2011.

Sopwithcamel