Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Titus at Sea Otter

Ran into Michael and the gang at the Titus booth at Sea Otter. I saw two El Guapo 29's in the flesh. One was super raw with the super clean 12x142 rear end, new decal on the bottom tube and some clean cable routing. The other frame was black with no decals but had new bearings at the horst link pivot and will also have enduro needle bearings at the rear shock mount, both had CC Double Barrel Air's. Michael said that the 12-142 rear end is in the works for the 26" El Guapos and will be available for retrofit to older models. I pleaded my case to have them develop a 27.5" EG, lets see if they listen. Also look for a 27.5" aluminum hardtail in the near future made by Zen in Portland available in 4 sizes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Titus at Sea Otter-p1030042.jpg  

Titus at Sea Otter-p1030043.jpg  

Titus at Sea Otter-p1030044.jpg  

Titus at Sea Otter-p1030045.jpg  

Titus at Sea Otter-p1030046.jpg  

a tight kick sound
    Interesting!
    Thanks for the update.
    I like the idea of the bearings in the rear horst link.

I'm wondering though, with the new changes to the rear end of the EG and everyone asking for new versions (26, 27.5 and all widths), if it wouldn't just make more sense to create a fully new rear end adaptor like the new banshees. This way you would make one set for 26" (9,10 or 12MM axles) in 135, 142 or 150mm rear spacing AND all the same for 27.5 wheels too. People could mix and match rear adaptor sets to their liking with one frame set. Seems as though with the V3 EG having such a low BB height this would be the perfect frame to do this on.

Anyway, thanks for the picks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Man that raw finish looks nice

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Titus at Sea Otter

I also like that raw finish.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Now I can see the photos on a monitor

I like the new parts/changes, love to hear about the new horst bearings. Been on those RWC eyelet needles for 3 years and they feel great..made a noticeable improvement in the suspension

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    wow, that rear end looks great.
    look really easy to get the wheel off and on.

great to know that they gonna have it retrofit to existing EG. please have some good deal for existing owner...

Let the good times roll.
    Bearings at the Horst link pivot and shock eyelet sounds great! And I'm glad to hear that a TA rear is coming for the 26er.

I don't like downtube routing. My last bike had it, and I chopped 2 brake hoses on rocks kicked up by the front wheel. But maybe these are far enough to the side to reduce the chances of that somewhat.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    will also have enduro needle bearings at the rear shock mount, both had CC Double Barrel Air's.
    How the heck do they fit those? RWC's/Enduro guy here mentioned that one need to machine out the eyelet, as it is smaller than one on Fox/Rockshox. So I did not order them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    How the heck do they fit those? RWC's/Enduro guy here mentioned that one need to machine out the eyelet, as it is smaller than one on Fox/Rockshox. So I did not order them.
    Good question. It looks like the span has changed on the rocker. Seems to have beefed out near that bolt

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Good question. It looks like the span has changed on the rocker. Seems to have beefed out near that bolt
    Huh? You mean they put needle bearing in the rocker, not in the shock eyelet?

To quote Chris:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris2fur View Post
    If you are running the DB Air, the shock eyelets are 14.7mm. That's too small to run the needle bearings. However, you can have a machine shop take them out to 15.05mm.

mtbr member
    No, my understanding from Bre was that they were in the rear shock bushing. Both those frames were the new 29 EG, it looked like a slightly modified rocker.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Huh? You mean they put needle bearing in the rocker, not in the shock eyelet? To quote Chris:
    Nah, would like to know how it's fitted to the DBA as well, was noticing craigstrs photos.. Pretty jealous on the attention put into this eg, brake tabs more welds on ss, rocker, shorter bridge, st, etc...I do remember some sort of inserts used for different size bolts. It came with the rwc kit, not sure if that's used to fit the Cane Creeks?
    Last edited by Deerhill; 04-24-2013 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Can't remember which kit it was

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i also noticed that the new 26" EG replacement also have the new brake tab with more weld on SS.

mtbr member

Thanks Craig for the update...

Sounds like good news for my 2 old rear ends

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    craigstr, do you have any more photos of the black one?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenk4563 View Post
    I'll try and sort some photos.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenk4563 View Post
    I was told it was a 29r with some changes (ie. bearings in the horst link). If I would have know in was a new 26 model, I would have taken more pictures!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    I was told it was a 29r with some changes (ie. bearings in the horst link). If I would have know in was a new 26 model, I would have taken more pictures!
    It's half a development concept/testbed, half a really cool bike we wanted to trial.

We might be pushing against the tide, "still" working on 26in models, but hey - we love them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    SOC13: New, Prototype Titus Trail & 29er Mountain Bikes, Fat Bikes & More

- is that 160mm on the 29er a typo? I thought it was 140mm
    - not sure of the point of the 130mm 26" bike. Retiring the FTM and wanna leverage the EG name to fill that gap in the model range? Could be a good 650b bike (as speculated), but a front end with 30mm more travel than the rear (which i imagine is necessary to stop the BB from dragging along the trail) seems a little unbalanced. Perhaps a good super d/enduro bike?
    - the 142x12 brings it up to date (though I doubt it would be much different to my fun bolted rear hub on the current 135x10 rear end)
    - are the horst link bearings a marketing gimmick? wouldn't bushes be better for such pivots that move very little? lighter too.
    - is both the rear der and brake cable routing going the down tube way? hope so. it has been pretty tricky getting the cable routing right when it is routed along a path that compresses with the suspension.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2 View Post
    but a front end with 30mm more travel than the rear (which i imagine is necessary to stop the BB from dragging along the trail) seems a little unbalanced.
    I wondered why people think it is the case. Hardtails, with 0mm travel, ride just fine, so this one is somewhat in between.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I wondered why people think it is the case. Hardtails, with 0mm travel, ride just fine, so this one is somewhat in between.
    i actually prefer having a bit more travel on the front end, and i understand and have heard the hardtail analogy before.

but, if they want to sell them, they'll have to contend with the markets, of riders who are used to riding full suspension bikes like "normal" full suspension bikes, where they are used to both ends having similar feel/travel.

i know there are some other bikes on the market with 30-40mm longer fronts ends on them, but they are pretty rare. Do you have one of them?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    i know there are some other bikes on the market with 30-40mm longer fronts ends on them, but they are pretty rare. Do you have one of them?
    I have one that is adjustable from 171 to 136 (with 158 and 146 options) - Nicolai Helius AM, with 170mm front. I do like how it feels in 146mm mode, but it rides a bit tall in it. Ordered front shock mount that moves it forward 4mm (~10mm drop at axle, slackening it 0.5 deg) will see if I like it. Probably will switch to less travel/lower/slacker for smoother rides, it takes like a minute..

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have one that is adjustable from 171 to 136 (with 158 and 146 options) - Nicolai Helius AM, with 170mm front. I do like how it feels in 146mm mode, but it rides a bit tall in it. Ordered front shock mount that moves it forward 4mm (~10mm drop at axle, slackening it 0.5 deg) will see if I like it. Probably will switch to less travel/lower/slacker for smoother rides, it takes like a minute..
    never ridden one, but those nicolai bikes, with the build quality, solidness and adjustability, have always looked like pretty awesome bikes.

but, do you reckon you would've still bought that bike if it only had the 136mm/146mm travel options?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    but, do you reckon you would've still bought that bike if it only had the 136mm/146mm travel options?
    I would have considered it, but probably no. I have another full suspension bike. But if I had only one bike, something lightweight with 130mm rear and slack 160mm front - one of those new lightweight ones like Pike or Fox 34 - would be a nice option. I think it would cover more types of riding. Helius is a bit of a tank.

mtbr member
    Info is hard to come by for this frame, is the geo finalized & posted somewhere?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast