mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Titus racer X Verses Specialized Epic

Hi

I assume Titus has used under licence the FSR rear end from specialized on the Titus Racer X.

From about 2008 it looks like the epic changed the position of the shock on the epic to look more like the racer x.

I would just like to know the history more and untimely which is the better bike.
    Follow me on Twitter @OnOneCarbon456

Hi I'am an On-One Carbon 456 mountain bike, follow me to find out what i get up to...

mtbr member
    Specialized has a patent on FSR (Horst link). They did not "invent" the FSR concept, just like their other technologies to date. Think of the brain... then look at a Terralogic fork for instance. Titus then was a small outfit that had passionate people on board. The Epic is a capable bike, no doubt. The Racer X is a legend in its own right. It worked very well without much technical and marketing mumbo jumbo. I prefer to have passion than clout, so the Racer X is the better bike for me. Just my .02

mtbr member
    I think the lawyers are the only ones that know who is legally using FSR. Look at Knolly, basically an FSR rear but fine tuned up the ying yang with the 4x4 rocker to make one of the best climbing traction bikes anywhere. That design just claws its way up loose terrain like a bulldozer yet goes downhill like a DH bike, all without a license to use FSR?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    I think the lawyers are the only ones that know who is legally using FSR. Look at Knolly, basically an FSR rear but fine tuned up the ying yang with the 4x4 rocker to make one of the best climbing traction bikes anywhere. That design just claws its way up loose terrain like a bulldozer yet goes downhill like a DH bike, all without a license to use FSR?
    The FSR patent was filed in 1994 so assuming a 20 year patent life, it should be up next year. At this point, it probably helps Specialized bikes to have other companies using the system as it is free press for them. With that said, the whole HL thing is over rated, as is most suspension designs.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Or you can just get a bike from Europe. Both my Rotwild frame and Nicolai frame are "Horst" link. If I was getting a new aluminum frame right now for this purpose - Nicolai Helius TR.. It is my favorite suspension, but other systems are also very good nowadays. Nothing wrong with a well sorted out single pivot, or one of those multilink variations..

And whatever the choice - Specialized should not be in it. Screw them.