mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Titus Racer X crashed - ouch - need welder!

Well, I really smashed up my Racer X over memorial day weekend at Kingdom Trails. Used a tree as a brake, managed to dive/roll out of it, but amazed people that I wasn't banged up. Didn't see this until later, as the bike seemed okay initially. (Down tube has a bit of kink in it now.. sigh)

Tried (don't laugh too much) contacting on-one Titus, but still haven't heard back from them. Mainly just was looking to get the frame in competent hands to be fixed properly, obviously its out of warranty etc.

Are any of the original builders still at Titus or have they moved on, and would anyone know how to contact them?

Titus Racer X crashed - ouch - need welder!-img_0268.jpgTitus Racer X crashed - ouch - need welder!-img_0266.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Dear god man, dat head angle.. Glad to see you are alright, I'm almost certain if your body took the same hit that frame did that you'd be broken in some form or another.

I'd say that is a write-off at this point and I wouldn't expect Titus to cover this (even in their prime, when the frame was new).

The good thing is you can find some pretty sweet frames for a good deal now days. I know this might be heresy on this site, but checkout the pinkbike classifieds. I ended up getting my 2009 MotoLite II frame with a High volume rp23 and a thompson elite seatpost for $350 after shipping. Steal of a deal if you ask me

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    buy a new frame, that one is toast

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hang that junk on the wall and go shopping for a new frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post
    buy a new frame, that one is toast
    Quote Originally Posted by musikron View Post
    Hang that junk on the wall and go shopping for a new frame.
    yup

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FireinMTB View Post
    Dear god man, dat head angle.. Glad to see you are alright, I'm almost certain if your body took the same hit that frame did that you'd be broken in some form or another.

I'd say that is a write-off at this point and I wouldn't expect Titus to cover this (even in their prime, when the frame was new).

The good thing is you can find some pretty sweet frames for a good deal now days. I know this might be heresy on this site, but checkout the pinkbike classifieds. I ended up getting my 2009 MotoLite II frame with a High volume rp23 and a thompson elite seatpost for $350 after shipping. Steal of a deal if you ask me

Yea, I count myself lucky, did the cardinal sin of looking not through the apex but at the tree... ergo bike meet tree.

Didn't expect Titus to cover the frame, that's my own stupidity, even if it was under warranty I wouldn't expect coverage, as this wasn't mfg failure.

I did get a response back from Titus and we are exploring options. Cost of repair is about 85% the cost of a new frame. eek. They are willing to offer me a rockstar frame for a decent price. Which is certainly nice of them as they don't have to do anything for me so to speak. Just not sure about the rockstar . Guess its research time.

Your motolite was a steal! wow!!! Big problem for me isn't the frame cost, I can figure that one out so to speak, but its , which frame is going to be "right" for me. Guess it means lots of research! chuckle.

Bit heartbroken as I did like this frame... sigh...and I just don't like to throw things out.
    To some of the other replies, wow, so heartless to give up on a "steed" that has been faithful for so long, so quickly.

Wonder if any smaller independents could fix it up...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just ride it as-is and enjoy your new 75* head angle, LOL

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    PM me if you are interested in a brand new 2008 race x size large frame in brown ano. Doral
    Last edited by doralswheels; 06-04-2014 at 10:33 PM. Reason: add frame

Dirt Huffer
    I always see Racers X frames pop up on ebay that are reasonably inexpensive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The Rockstar (carbon) is a solid bike. In case you're interested.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorslife View Post
    Yea, I count myself lucky, did the cardinal sin of looking not through the apex but at the tree... ergo bike meet tree.

Didn't expect Titus to cover the frame, that's my own stupidity, even if it was under warranty I wouldn't expect coverage, as this wasn't mfg failure.

I did get a response back from Titus and we are exploring options. Cost of repair is about 85% the cost of a new frame. eek. They are willing to offer me a rockstar frame for a decent price. Which is certainly nice of them as they don't have to do anything for me so to speak. Just not sure about the rockstar . Guess its research time.

Your motolite was a steal! wow!!! Big problem for me isn't the frame cost, I can figure that one out so to speak, but its , which frame is going to be "right" for me. Guess it means lots of research! chuckle.

Bit heartbroken as I did like this frame... sigh...and I just don't like to throw things out.
    To some of the other replies, wow, so heartless to give up on a "steed" that has been faithful for so long, so quickly.

Wonder if any smaller independents could fix it up...
    The Rockstar is a nice upgrade. Pretty much the same thing but with an extra inch of travel in back, and lower standover. I think I paid $900 for it shipped with a RS Monarch shock.

I had a RX29er and upgraded to a Rockstar V1, and love it. I specifically wanted the V1 frame because the headtube was shorter, so I could use my Lefty fork with it. I ended up selling my RX29er frame and RP23 shock for $550 about a year and a half ago.

I see RX29er frames show up on ebay all the time if you want a direct replacement. I say start there. There was even a shop a while back that was blowing out complete RX29er bikes for super cheap with a low rent Deore built. The frame is the same, just painted a sage green color.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Still have this? I'm interested!

Quote Originally Posted by doralswheels View Post
    PM me if you are interested in a brand new 2008 race x size large frame in brown ano. Doral

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker View Post
    Still have this? I'm interested!
    Yes, I still have the new Titus racer-x, large 2008 frame in brown ano. Email me for pictures. doralswheelsATyahooDOTcom.