mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Titus Moto-Lite - what new Fox shock?

My approximately 2006 moto-lite has a non-original fox rp2 shock on it (200x50mm). I'm looking at breathing some life into my bike with either a PUSH service to the rp2, or buying a new rp23 (ideally with Kashima coating).

The shock can be bought with different air can sizes & valving. Anyone know what variant is needed? If I sell the rp2 and don't spend the money on a push, then I will have most of the money it'll cost for the new shock(but won't have the money to push it too).

Thanks

mtbr member
    Between a new RP23 or the Push treatment, I would go PUSH all the way. The PUSH mod will totally transform your ride and will make PP a viable option. I would also highly recommend moving to a HV sleeve and getting the PUSH bottom out bumper. It will make a huge difference.

With that said, if you can live with a little weight, a coil shock will blow you away. The ride you get from a coil shock, and we are only talking about a low end Vanilla R that you can push, will climb great but will be head and shoulders above the air shocks on the way down. Look on e-bay for a cheap vanilla-R and get it pushed.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Hi,
    Thanks.

PUSH seems like my best option, just that it'll be $169 for the service plus $45 for switching from my large air can down to the OEM medium air can. I just don't like the idea of spending $220 (maybe + tax, not sure where they are) to service and tune the shock. I was told the ML takes medium volume air can.

I see Titus are selling a frame + monarch shock for $600. If only they sold the shock on it's own for $200.

As for an RP23, I just cannot find out what the 'custom valving' is for a moto-lite. I know length, stroke and air can volume, but nothing else.

thanks

mtbr member
    Usually the ML took a low tune shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stillkeen View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks.

PUSH seems like my best option, just that it'll be $169 for the service plus $45 for switching from my large air can down to the OEM medium air can. I just don't like the idea of spending $220 (maybe + tax, not sure where they are) to service and tune the shock. I was told the ML takes medium volume air can.

I see Titus are selling a frame + monarch shock for $600. If only they sold the shock on it's own for $200.

As for an RP23, I just cannot find out what the 'custom valving' is for a moto-lite. I know length, stroke and air can volume, but nothing else.

thanks
    The custom valving is nothing but the selection of a specific tune from Fox. Most likely a medium compression, light rebound tune. If you have the large air can already, I would keep it and move to a push bottom out bumper. You can modify the HV can using shims (the DGC mod) for further performance gains. A pushed shock is better than new stock shock.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    The custom valving is nothing but the selection of a specific tune from Fox. Most likely a medium compression, light rebound tune. If you have the large air can already, I would keep it and move to a push bottom out bumper. You can modify the HV can using shims (the DGC mod) for further performance gains. A pushed shock is better than new stock shock.
    Fox confirmed 'medium' tune for compression and rebound. I've fitted the largest air can volume shim, which brings it to almost exactly the same as a factory RP23.

The ride is so much better now, as I can run the shock softer, yet with the increased compression it hardens up as the travel progresses. I do believe that a PUSH tune would be even better, however I'm not prepared to spend $200 for it.

I have ordered the new bushing kits (the new style), which Jenson will hopefully get to me at some point (it's been 3 weeks so far). That should free the shock pivoting up a bit, and hopefully improve the performance even more.

Additionally, the bike is going from XTR-965 to a Zee/XT/Saint mixed 1x10 which will drop a pound from the weight that should keep me happy another year or two before 'needing' an upgrade.