Some guy
    Jul 2007

Titus ML-1 frame swapover

Thinking of getting a Titus ML-1 ($600 plus ship. at coloradocyclist.com) frame and doing a parts swapover from my hardtail. I'm 5'10.5", 200 lbs (a solid dude) and looking for a robust trailbike that I can also use in a local race series. My current parts for swapover are Reba Race 100mm fork (7.25" headtube - that enough?), XT drivetrain, BB7 Brakes, Crossride wheelset.

There isn't a Titus dealer around where I can go test ride a ML-1 so I'd be buying this sight unseen. Just wondering if you experts can comment on the suitability of this frame for my weight, parts, and local trails (Ontario - rolling singletrack, rocky stuff, logs, less than 1.5' drops).

Any input it appreciated!

mtbr member
    I can't comment regarding weight suitability (I am 5'6", 135 lbs on a small ML2), but I'm in southern Ontario. I find that this bike handles the terrain I ride around here (the Don, Durham, Kelso, Ravenshoe, Hardwood, Buckwallow) very well, and could probably be ridden a lot harder.

I think you'll want a longer fork for it though. I have a 90-130mm TALAS on mine, and almost never use the travel adjust. I personally wouldn't use less than a 120mm travel fork on the ML.

Still $600 is a GREAT price, especially compared to what I paid for mine in Toronto 2 years ago

"El Whatever"
    The ML stood the abuse All Mountain (the Knolly board moderator) put to it... he's a big bloke and really aggressive bonehead rider.

My buddy Rzozaya also had a ML that took his 200+ pounds without a hitch.

As mentioned, the Reba is short for the ML. Get something adjustable between 140-100mm. For climbing at race pace, the 100mm will be more suitable, but other than that, it'll be too vertical. The ML commonly feels happiest at 120-130mm.

Within that range of weight and riding style, the ML can take every terrain you may throw at it. Folks in places as dissimilar as BC, Arizona, England and Mexico enjoy their ML's.

It's a serious trail weapon.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have a 2007 ML-1 (size large) and weigh 230 lbs and I love this bike. I think it will be a great bike for the type of riding you are describing.

You will however need a different fork, I have a Fox Talus 100/120/140 fork and run it at 120 for most riding but 140 for some downhill stuff and 100 for some long climbs. The bike seems to handle best in the 120-130 range and you will be hating the ride with a 100 fork.

As for steerer tube length it would depend if you are getting a M or L frame size. I am 6'-1" tall hand have a large but you may be better on a Med. The Motolite runs big for the stated sizes, there are lots of threads about frame size for the ML on this forum.

To do the frame swap plan on all new cables and guides as they usually don't transfer well. There are also some cable routing threads here as it is not obvious how to run the cables through and around the rocker link.

Good luck with the frame upgrade, you will love the ML.
    Chet

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Dang it!!!! I got my ML-1 from Colorado Cyclist 3 weeks ago for $ 799.00. The new $ 599.00 price is unbelievable.

This frame rocks. I am extremely happy with the purchase.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Many of the newer Rebas can be convereted to 120mm. I believe there are a couple of write ups over in susp forum or if you had it rebuilt I would think it could be done then. Push charges around $160 to rebuild a fork. Heck of a lot cheaper than a new talas if you like the reba.

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    I do love the Reba. My Reba Race is a 2007 I believe and I think it's actually 85/115mm travel. It came with 2 rubber spacers that I did not install so I think that means it's in 115mm mode right now. Hopefully that would get me started with the ML.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I wouldn't worry about your weight, their are a lot more belier fellows out there then you riding ML's. Also frame durability is more dependent on riding style then rider weight. So as long as you don't do a lot of drops to flat ground you will be just fine.

Sopwithcamel