Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

New question here. Titus FTM Carbon - Wheelset, Fork, Headset selection

*I've posted this on BikeRadar to get some UK specific feedback on some of the components, but assume I will get more/different input from actual Titus FTM owners from this forum.

I'm planning to purchase one of the Titus FTM Carbon frames (large/silver) from On-One but am struggling with some of the component choices so grateful for advice. (I haven't decided on the size yet and waiting for On One to confirm that I can visit their showroom in Roehampton to check out the bikes before I order)

Forks:
    How much of a difference does the tapered steerer make for the front end?
    Does it matter if I use the XX fork without XX components e.g. is the XLOC remote handlbar mounted and doesn't need SRAM XX brakes/shifters to be mounted?
    I can't decide between
    Revelation RTL Ti Dual Position Air 15mm Maxle Lite (with 1 1/8 inch steerer) 450
    or
    Revelation XX World Cup Dual Position Air 15mm Maxle Lite with tapered 1 1/8 to 1.5 in steerer 599

Wheelset:
    I think the On One wheelset would be cool to go with the bike Silver/Blue if I got matching blue hub and white rim - but these are new wheels and I'm concerned about durability.
    So it's either
    On One MAX Wheelset 259.99
    Hope Pro 2 Blue hubs with white Stans Crest and DT Rev spokes (~350)
    Superstar Switch Evo blue hubs with white Stans Crest and SAPIM Double Butted spokes (~275)

Headset:
    I want a Chris King headset but just can't figure out which one goes with the Titus FTM Carbon - is it the inset model 1 1/8 to 1.5?

Groupset:
    I'll hold off for the 2012 XT to be available and want to run a 2x10 setup. Heard I need to watch the Q factor and keep it around 165.
    Rest of components I'm not too bothered about...

Thanks for feeddback or other ideas...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'd also like to know which headset to go with. The titus page says they use a CK inset.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yeah I'm still confused about which headset - especially how to source in the UK.

Update from Thomas from On-One's website: (commenting on the on one smoothie mixer headset)
    "Sorry guys, you can't use this on an FTM Carbon, thought it will work on the Aluminium FTM. The only headset we know that definately works on an FTM Carbon (as in we have tested it) is an FSA NO.42/CF/ACB which we are trying to source stock of from FSA at the moment. More at http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/327/025100_NO42CFACB"

http://on-one.co.uk/i/q/HSOOSMTAPER/...apered-headset

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

lots of questions

I may have to move to the UK to help you guys out.

I mostly use any Cane Creek headset with an i (Italian) after the name. 110, IS81, IS3-1.
    Also FSA Italian.

The Fox Talas 140 RLC QR15 tapered would be my first choice. I know where to get the OEM version that came with the FTM Carbon. 3 positions, but no remote. $550.

XX hydraulic is a nice feature and works with any brakes/shifters.
    I would want tapered and thru axle on this bike.

SRAM has the right Q-factor (166) for the bike. Also has color coordinated drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Bikerbob,

Would this Pro RMI integrated headset work?

http://www.pro-bikegear.com/publish/...-PRHS0001.html

I can't seem to find exact dimensions of it :/

Also, I can't seem to find much info on the Pro brand, besides it is a Shimano company.

Thanks,
    /g

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have one of the FTM carbon frames on order from On One too. I have bought the hope tapered headset for mine I believe this is the correct type for fitting a tapered fork.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hi Chris - have a frame on order too - apparently they should have them in the next day or two. As I understand it the hope tapered headset is internal i.e. semi-integrated rather than integrated so may not be suitable. May be worth calling Hope as they may be able to mix and match parts from their integrated headsets instead (or I could be wrong and you may be ok!)

I have spoken to on one and the FSA Orbit CF40 differentiated headset (FSA CF40 No.42 / 52 ACB headset) will be ok - I've googled it and its widely available although on one will have some in stock soon

Also I believe from Cane Creek the following combination should be ok - you can order direct from their site...

http://canecreek.com/component-heads....IS52%20Bottom

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the info razz having looked at the info you provided it would seem I do have the wrong one! I have found that Evans Cycles sell the Cane Creek parts suggested so I might get them from there.
    Last edited by chris2407; 05-05-2011 at 03:58 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Chris and ridin8ude - what wheels did you go for in the end?
    I've gone for the grey / blue frame so would love to get some of the crank brothers cobalt wheels to match but they are so expensive. may get merlin to build some white ztr arch's wih blue hope hubs instead.
    gone for the talas 150's - arrived yesterday
    merlin also had a great deal on xt groupset a couple of weeks ago so went for that so just need to decide on stem, seatpost and bars - depends if i go down the hope or crank brothers route i think. what have you gone for?

Chris - good spot on the cane creek stuff - i'll probably go for that too and i went for the planet x fork bung... http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/...ng-mk-2---11-8

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well i've also ordered the FTM Carbon in Black and plan on this Spec

Forks-Rockshox Revelation dual air 120mm -150mm
    Drivetrain - Full Sram XX
    Bars- Monkey Lite Carbon
    Brakes- Hope M4's 160mm Front 140mm Rear (Rotors are Gold but may change to Red or BLack)
    Stem - Hope XC ( Gold but may change to Red or Black )
    Wheelset - Bontrager Rhytham Comp ( will change at later date )

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm getting a silver/blue frame in large. I've gone for the following spec:

Wheels: American Classic Disc tubeless
    Fork: Rockshox Revelation RLT 140mm 15mm thru axle
    Drivetrain: Shimano XT 10 speed with XTR shifters
    Brakes: Shimano XTR trail 180mm rotors front & rear
    Bars: Controltech carbon fibre 710mm width

I've haven't got the stem and seatpost yet i'm going to buy them when I get the frame so I can accurately gauge what I need - i'm tall so fit is going to be quite important. I'll probably go Thomson for both though.

The cobalt wheels do look good and they are on offer at Chainreaction at the moment but i've heard that the bearings on earlier models were pretty terrible. The American Classics don't really match the frame with their red hubs but they are very light for the money so I have high hopes for them.

Madmick that build of yours is going to be super light!

Dozer
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2407
    The cobalt wheels do look good and they are on offer at Chainreaction at the moment but i've heard that the bearings on earlier models were pretty terrible.
    Deals can be found on them if you search, especially since CB just unveiled their whole new line at Sea Otter. I really like mine. They seem like an excellent balance of light weight and stiffness. I have heard that the first generation did have some rear hub issues, but I think by now most of those have filtered out of the market.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yeah hope it will be pretty light as at this moment in time i have a Trek Ex8 which i'll be stripping down and use most of the parts for the FTM and that weighs in at 27.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've also ordered a medium frame from on-one, most of the parts are stripped from my current bike, a giant trance x2, only the headset and fork are new.

fork: Fox 32 Talas FIT RLC 150
    headset: FSA Orbit CF-40 ACB
    drivetrain: XTR/XT mix with XT shifters
    brakes: Avid Elixir CR 203/180mm
    wheels: WTB Laserdisc Trail

dunno about the weight, I'm looking more for durability than an extra-lightweight build.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahdog31
    Deals can be found on them if you search, especially since CB just unveiled their whole new line at Sea Otter. I really like mine. They seem like an excellent balance of light weight and stiffness. I have heard that the first generation did have some rear hub issues, but I think by now most of those have filtered out of the market.
    Good to hear you've had a good experience with them - it looks like Chain Reaction and ebay look the best bets on price. I saw the new wheels on the Crank Brothers site - some new colours but no doubt no discounts on those for a while. Do you know if there's any way to tell if the wheels are the 1st gen ones? I was looking at the blue ones - not sure if they were available from the start?

mtbr member
    May 2011

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by roliK
    I've also ordered a medium frame from on-one, most of the parts are stripped from my current bike, a giant trance x2, only the headset and fork are new.

fork: Fox 32 Talas FIT RLC 150
    headset: FSA Orbit CF-40 ACB
    drivetrain: XTR/XT mix with XT shifters
    brakes: Avid Elixir CR 203/180mm
    wheels: WTB Laserdisc Trail

dunno about the weight, I'm looking more for durability than an extra-lightweight build.
    i'm sure it will be lighter than the trance anyway. i have a trance 2007 and think its built of lead

fingers crossed the frames will be here soon

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    i have a FTM on order as well i would like to use a non tappered fork.
    can someone help me out my head hurts

The Cheater
    For those who are still wondering. Titus has put up a detailed pdf for choosing the headset for the X Carbon and the FTM:

http://shop.titusti.com/titus_headse...carbon_FTM.pdf
    Titux X Carbon 2010 race 9.93kg
    Titux X 2009 "Deore 2012" training 11.55kg

Dozer
    Quote Originally Posted by the_razz
    Do you know if there's any way to tell if the wheels are the 1st gen ones? I was looking at the blue ones - not sure if they were available from the start?
    Blue was the first color available, followed by black and champagne, then the special OEM colors (red, silver, etc.). That said, they kept making blue all the way through, so if you get a used set of blue ones I suppose it's possible to get a 1st gen. set. Not sure if you can identify a 1st gen set without opening the freehub.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

How to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahdog31
    Blue was the first color available, followed by black and champagne, then the special OEM colors (red, silver, etc.). That said, they kept making blue all the way through, so if you get a used set of blue ones I suppose it's possible to get a 1st gen. set. Not sure if you can identify a 1st gen set without opening the freehub.
    I am closing out some blue ones. Thye are second generation. You can tell by removing the cassette body. Updated item is hexagonal (octagonal) and does not thread on. ...

Dozer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob.com
    I am closing out some blue ones. Thye are second generation. You can tell by removing the cassette body. Updated item is hexagonal (octagonal) and does not thread on. ...
    Thanks for clarifying, Bob! You rock, dude.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    For anyone who has ordered a FTM Carbon from On-One in the UK before 18th April
    The shipment has arrived and the the lucky one will have it shipped out today.

I'm one of Lucky few

Just hope the headset comes soon so i can start to build it up

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob.com
    thanks - i managed to get some from ebay and the guy confirmed they were the latest production run - will double check when i get them now i know what to check for

i just got the email saying my frame has been shipped too - so fingers crossed everything else arrives soon

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    mines on its way tomorrow as well i am still no closer in the headset stakes using a straigher steerer i don't seem to be able to turn the headset finder into somthing i can buy from

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast