mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Titus FTM Carbon 2010 Which size for 6' rider

Ive wanted a custom Titus Ti MTB for at least 10 years.
    Now that I can get a Titus carbon for a knock down price I just cant pass it up.

So I will go for the Silver Titus FTM Carbon but am really struggling to decide which size is right.

Im roughly 6' or 182cm tall.
    My inseam is about 32/33 inches.
    I think a reach of 24.25 inches sounds long to me for a trail bike.
    Also 19.25 is big for a medium the 21.25 sounds huge for the large (but the standover of 30.39 seems ok)

So this puts me onto the medium frame.
    But if I go medium then Im worried I might need a setback seatpost and a longer stem than Id like on a 5 inch travel bike.
    Similarly for the large I dont want to be stretched out and relegated to a super stumpy stem which makes the steering all twitchy.

Does anyone have experience with the frames/bikes and can give some advice on which size to go for?

Time appears to be of the essence so I need to make a decision quickly before the bikes are sold out!

Hueston Woods Trail Crew
    I would lean toward large. If you could measure the distance from crank bolt to saddle rail on your current bike, that might nail it down for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm 6' and rockin a medium Motolite.
    With 100mm stem its pure comfort!
    Hard2catch

mtbr member
    I'm almost the same size as you (5' 11.5", 33 inseam) and FWIW the large FTB I rode at Interbike felt huge. They had kind of a long stem on it (probably a 120 not sure) but even so I think a medium would've been better for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Not sure the geo difference between FTM and Motolite, but I'm 6-0, 32" inseam and ride a M Motolite and would do the same again.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks all for the replies - I'll dig out the motolite geometry to do a comparison.

@ Bikerbob: I misread your request - I measured from the center of BB/crankbolt to top of the saddle.
    On my Santa Cruz Chameleon it's ~ 29.5 inches
    On my LOOK road bike it's ~30.5 inches

I'd rather end up with a slightly too small bike that I can manage with stems and seat posts rather than a too large frame which I wouldn't have much room to tweak.

So I'm leaning to the medium size at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob.com
    I would lean toward large. If you could measure the distance from crank bolt to saddle rail on your current bike, that might nail it down for me.

At Work
    I am 5'11" with a 31" inseam and ride a Large FTM. I am borderline between Med/Large frame bikes. I dont have any issues with Fit. They did put a little shorter stem on it for me when I was testing it out. I ride a Large / 19" on all my other bikes as well.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ridin8ude
    Thanks all for the replies - I'll dig out the motolite geometry to do a comparison.

@ Bikerbob: I misread your request - I measured from the center of BB/crankbolt to top of the saddle.
    On my Santa Cruz Chameleon it's ~ 29.5 inches
    On my LOOK road bike it's ~30.5 inches

I'd rather end up with a slightly too small bike that I can manage with stems and seat posts rather than a too large frame which I wouldn't have much room to tweak.

So I'm leaning to the medium size at the moment.
    What mtb and size are you riding now? Do you like its fit and handling?

I am just over 6' with a 34+" inseam and like the medium Carbon FTM demo I have been riding.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm haven't done alot of MTB lately - mostly road cycling where i use a 56/57cm frame.
    I did alot of XC in the past and had a Trek STP-400 (2000/2001) that was a size 19.5 and was really stretched out - but perfect for XC with 80mm SID Race fork it had a Top Tube length of 24.6 which is what puts me off the Titus Large a bit as its 24.25 inches which sounds long for a slacker head tube AM type bike.

I want this bike for all mountain and prefer a size small enough for maneuverability rather than something too large that I can't handle it properly.
    So scared to get the Large if it's really too big - but equally scared to get the medium if it's just way too small.

I'm in the UK at the moment so will be picking this up via the On One shipment so no chance to try in advance and will be stuck with whatever decision I make.

Again grateful for everyone giving their thoughts...

Can anyone with a Large or Medium FTM Carbon help me out to take a measurement from the front tip of their saddle to the centre of their handlebars measured in the stem clamp? (and tell me their stem length)
    Just trying to get an idea of the reach.
    Even better if you can also give the measurement from center of BB (crank bolt) to saddle rail (or top of saddle).

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ridin8ude
    I'm haven't done alot of MTB lately - mostly road cycling where i use a 56/57cm frame.
    I did alot of XC in the past and had a Trek STP-400 (2000/2001) that was a size 19.5 and was really stretched out - but perfect for XC with 80mm SID Race fork it had a Top Tube length of 24.6 which is what puts me off the Titus Large a bit as its 24.25 inches which sounds long for a slacker head tube AM type bike.

I want this bike for all mountain and prefer a size small enough for maneuverability rather than something too large that I can't handle it properly.
    So scared to get the Large if it's really too big - but equally scared to get the medium if it's just way too small.

I'm in the UK at the moment so will be picking this up via the On One shipment so no chance to try in advance and will be stuck with whatever decision I make.

Again grateful for everyone giving their thoughts...

Can anyone with a Large or Medium FTM Carbon help me out to take a measurement from the front tip of their saddle to the centre of their handlebars measured in the stem clamp? (and tell me their stem length)
    Just trying to get an idea of the reach.
    Even better if you can also give the measurement from center of BB (crank bolt) to saddle rail (or top of saddle).
    I can measure the medium tomorrow, but I think you would be fine on that size. But I do not change the TT/reach of my mtbs, regardless of style.

Will give you the frame reach (horizontal distance from BB to top of head tube). Much better than saddle to bar, both of which could be placed anywhere.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I haven't logged onto MTBR for quite awhile but had a couple messages waiting for me asking me which model I ended up buying.

Well I bought the FTM Carbon in Large, but the thing was friggin massive! So I drove up north to Sheffield and swapped it out for a Medium. The bike now suites me fine, I maybe could have got by with a large, but it would have been less comfortable than my medium frame. Hope that helps anyone in similar dilemma.

Otherwise bikes great! Loving it and would highly recommend...