mtbr member

Titus Eleven with 650b wheels

ibikergal xx small Titus Eleven with a bolt in 650b wheel conversion.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"El Whatever"
    Sweet... how does it ride, bro?
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    I love the way it rides!! I have a Racer X, X-Small so the geometry is very close to that. I have been using a 650B on the front of the Racer X for awhile and loved it.

It handles great in the tight stuff and seems stable in high speed stuff. It really rolls well over things and it is a real climber. It is about 2.5 lb lighter than my Racer X so it accelerates great due to the weight diff. and it being a hard tail. I have 170mm cranks so the toe overlap with the front wheel is not a problem if I stay clipped in. Jeffh did a great job building it up for me, the Nokon cable housings are a bi**h to install, but it really shifts great.
    "The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the
    pilot." By: Michael Altshuler

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have been really thinking about 650B'ing my Eleven- but I was nervous the geared config would have been too tight- really nice to see it can be done!

Why the "bolt-on" wheel? Easier to convert to SS?
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member
    That looks fast and very cool. The Eleven is a 26" bike normally? Looks like everything fits really well. Is that a custom titanium frame designed around the 650b or the stock 26" offering?

I loved the 650b Carver Ti hardtail I rode at I-bike two years ago. What a rocket! I'm going to have to add this to my "Dream Stable" list over on the Passion forum.

mtbr member
    To answer a few question:
    "bolt-on" cause it is lighter

The Eleven is normally a 26" bike, but I have been using a 650b wheel on the front of my Racer X for almost a year and when I wanted to build a hard tail I was hoping to make it 650b. I am only 5'3" so a 29er was not practical. I was not sure when I got the frame if it would work in the rear until I got the frame and tried it and the rear wheel has more room than the 26" on the rear of my Racer X. Titus does not make the Eleven anymore but they make a hard tail called the Fireline, I am not sure if it is the same or not.

mtbr member
    But wouldn't the extra height from the wheel+tire get in the way of the fork travel. Im guessing u can only get ~ 50-60 mm of travel before the bottom of crown hits the tire. Correct me if Im wrong.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Thanks for the info! Quick question (follow up)

A previous poster asked the question if the frame was stock sized- I have a small stock from 2006 and the stays are curvy wishbone (I think yours is the same). As a 26" were you running the fork travel at 80mm or 100mm? Reason being I was wondering if you felt you needed to lower the travel to compensate for the larger wheel? I thought the xx smalls were built around 80mm geometery but could be wrong. Makes sense to me if both wheel sizes are being increased equally, the fork travel could just stay the same...

Thanks for this post, this has been something I have been tooling around for quite awhile... and the bike looks amazing, great job!
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member
    This is a stock sized XX Small frame. I have the fox fork set at 80mm and I did a test by taking all the air out of the fork the tire still clears to crown and would be ridable.

The bigger wheels may slow the steering down just a little because this is what it did to the Racer X.