North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004

Titus El Guapo Seymour test - or its a bike not a piece of jewelry!

Titus El Guapo Seymour test - or its a bike not a piece of jewelry!

Titus El Guapo Seymour test - or its a bike not a piece of jewelry! from Lee Lau on Vimeo.

Boogeyman on Seymour. I was told this was a tough bike. It was a tough bike that handled a pretty rough trail very well. I forgot I had a big ring and shaved some cedar off ramps here and there but other then that; this is a competent downhiller and a tight, stiff, competent riding machine.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Nice clip, but you really didn't stress the head tube all that much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

mountain-biker-jumps-over-train

Speaking of FMEA, check out this clip on bikerumor.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2009/06/23/...ps-over-train/

Sopwithcamel

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Good stuff

Well done, LeeL.

We should get that clip up on the Titus website.. at least Facebook.

Miami Vice?

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL
    Boogeyman on Seymour. I was told this was a tough bike. It was a tough bike that handled a pretty rough trail very well. I forgot I had a big ring and shaved some cedar off ramps here and there but other then that; this is a competent downhiller and a tight, stiff, competent riding machine.
    Where is the video of you cleaning Empress on the Guapo?
    Extreme stationary biker.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I was already working the poor Guapo pretty hard. You didn't need to see me stuffing it into the soft loose berms at the end of Piledriver. I pussed out and took it down Empress Bypass ostensibly to check out the high speed performance. It did fine there but I didn't shoot video

Bikerbob - go for it. Btw - Mikey was very nice and so was Johnny H. If you guys ever want a longer term test... I'd do it

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Titus contact

I was already working the poor Guapo pretty hard. You didn't need to see me stuffing it into the soft loose berms at the end of Piledriver. I pussed out and took it down Empress Bypass ostensibly to check out the high speed performance. It did fine there but I didn't shoot video

Bikerbob - go for it. Btw - Mikey was very nice and so was Johnny H. If you guys ever want a longer term test... I'd do it
    Titus guys liked your video and asked me who you were.
    Call Chris 800 85 Titusti or email chris at titusti.com

NOT Team Sanchez
    Awesome Leel, I loved the vid, so how'd you like the Guap, IMO the best mid travel FR bike on the market, yes, you heard it, I said FR bike!
    I like bikes.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I thought it climbed really well - Mikey had the suspension set up perfect for me. Obviously I really liked it on the downhill and think it's quite a decent freeride bike actually. I think it's quite a bit more capable on downhills then some other commenters on this board who have suggested that perhaps the El Guapo shouldn't be used in more rugged trails speculating (without grounds IMO) that it might fail.

I'd change it up a bit. Bashguard to replace bigger ring would be good. I'd put on thinner grips. Maybe a slightly wider bar. I'd maybe raise the front end a tiny bit. I already have a XC bike for longer climbs so I'd tweak this more for downhill.

Otherwise that was a really stiff predictable ride. That's what I mean by a "tight" ride, Just a joy to ride. I felt at home on it right away. I think that's credit to Johnny H and Mikey who set it up so nicely. That's really well-maintained for a demo bike

I'd definitely enjoy the opportunity to see just how far one could freeride this bike on a longer term test
    I

what's that rattle?
    Great video - your captions cracked me up!

I think it's quite a bit more capable on downhills then some other commenters on this board who have suggested that perhaps the El Guapo shouldn't be used in more rugged trails speculating (without grounds IMO) that it might fail.
    That's news to me...Are you sure those comments weren't meant for the Firebird???

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Check out the comments in the Great White North thread which IMO are a disservice to the quite capable downhill abilities of the El Guapo

Trophy Husband
    I'd definitely enjoy the opportunity to see just how far one could freeride this bike on a longer term test
    Here is Wasea04 testing his....I think the El Guapo would handle several years of Shore abuse just fine.

DSC08817.JPG
    Extreme stationary biker.

NOT Team Sanchez
    People equate Travel with DH performance which isn't always true, case in point being the El Guapo, stout tubing, good angles, and six inches is all the El G needs to rip.........I'm truly not being biased, I've ridden and owned quite a few different bikes and the El Guapo has hit my sweet spot for what I do.

So after reading the thread I have two questions: Leel, what did the Titus guys say about what the Guap should or shouldn't do, or maybe I don't wan the answer to that, I think they might say less just to be safe and I don't want that floating around in my head off a good sized hit. Oh well, I trust her, I've taken some good abuse with no worries, you've already probably heard the story but the jump in the pic Geo posted is the one I overshot by seven feet landing to flat ( I was excited to show my bro the move and I guess I pedaled too hard into it, the jump is 9.5'x22' and when I overshot it was more like 28'x12' to flat!) with no damage or even squirming, minus my derailleur getting eaten, I even stayed up and was brought to a pleasant stop by new method of braking.........breaking spokes with what was left of my der, it sounded like a lawnmower . I didn't even bottom out either! And secondly, I want an El Guapo jersey!!!!!!!!

Edit.

I just scored a LS El Guapo jersey on the Titus website for $25, why didn't anyone mention the great sale they're having on Titus clothing?!
    Last edited by wasea04; 07-01-2009 at 11:14 PM.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member

Very Cool

I like the bike! El Guapo yess.

NOT Team Sanchez

speaking of heatube strength.......

Quote Originally Posted by sopwithcamel
    Nice clip, but you really didn't stress the head tube all that much.
    I just gave Chris at Titus a call and asked whether or not I could run a dual crown 180mm fork on the Guap' to which he replied it could probably take it but, he wouldn't recommend it. It's in the very grey area he said. As far as my 180mm rc3 was concerned he said it was also more than the bike was designed for but that it could handle it just fine..........I agree Remember though that 160mm is what this bike was designed for guys, and Titus advises using 160mm fork. (adviso statement)
    I like bikes.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Titus El Guapo in decline

mtbr member
    Awesome pic of Wasea04- new desktop photo! That should get me stoked every day.