mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Titus Carbon X Chainstay Pivot Pin Problem

Hi,
    I'm trying to remove the 8mm pivot pin from my chainstay (Titus Carbon X) to replace the bearings. However, the bolt is super tight. After quite some force it has started to move but after a few turns I realised it is actually opening up on the driveside, not the non-drive side where the bold head is. I heard some pretty nasty noises as I began opening the bolt.

I'm afraid of destroying the whole chainstay, maybe I have already because of the expansion? What should I do to get the bolt to come out on the non-drive side?
    Titus Carbon X Chainstay Pivot Pin Problem-dsc_0315.jpgTitus Carbon X Chainstay Pivot Pin Problem-dsc_0316.jpg

In the picture you can see the bolt emerging on the drive side.

Thanks!
    Ronan

mtbr member
    Spray the crap out of it with some type of penetrant and let it soak for a while. It is obviously seized in the non drive side stay.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hi,
    Ok thanks that sounds like a plan. Will do that this evening. Should I then try and knock the drive side stay back in line once the penetrant has seeped in? Am very worried about the carbon cracking under the strain of the pin having extended the width of the stay.
    Thanks!
    Ronan

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hi,
    Tried using copious amounts of penetrant on the non drive side and it didn't move a mm. Also tried to give the drive side a few hard taps around the bolt with no movement either. It looks to me like it might be one of the bearings protruding out on the drive side. Am literally stuck now.
    Thanks,
    Ronan

mtbr member
    Not really sure how to help you out. I would try to c-clamp the two sides of the stay and tighten the bolt to draw the stay back together, then tighten the c-clamp and the try and loosen the pivot bolt making sure the stay doesnt spread apart.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the suggestions. Finally got bike back from the LBS yesterday and they rekon it is totally stuck. They couldn't get it off. Am going to talk with Titus and see what they can do for me.
    Regards,
    Ronan