mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Titanium Racer X

I'm considering either the '07 titanium RX or the aluminum model with the ultimate race group. What are the advantages of the titanium vs. aluminum? Is it just weight? What is the difference in weight (I'll likely be getting a size small).

Bottom line: Is the titanium model worth the extra cash? Thanks in advance for any advice.

--Dean

Ti is addictive

I love my Ti racer-X

But thats my own thing.

Ti is good if you're goin custom (I didn't cause the standard frame was like molded for me),
    Want a little more vibration dampening(in my view),
    Want thicker more durable(take this comment with a grain of salt-don't want to stir any debates or SH*t up_as this was a bone of contention on a previous thread)
    Want the ultimate in bling (nothing says I got nothin better to do with my money then to buy a whole lot of Ti bicycle products)

Now the cons of going Ti

Price-mucho expensive especially if goin for exo-ti
    Heavier (by 3-4 ounces unless you go Exogrid then its the same as the aluminum)
    Wait time(all Ti's are started upon order placed-so if you don't mind waiting for a 4-8 week period hey no problem.

As far as 07 vs 06, think its just an anodized yoke on the swingarm and rp23 vs rp3on 06

I went Ti as well, cause I got one hell of a deal on my build thatwas within my budget when deciding between AL vs Ti

Whatever the choice AL, Ti, EXO I think you'll enjoy the Racer-X no matter what.

Ti is addictive

If you change frames every season,,,,,,

I must say, if you are one to change frames every season and want to go all out weightweinee then I would have to say go Al version with Ti bolt kit.
    Mind you if you're wanting ultralight weight all out race bike, I hate to say myself I would go to homerland and look at a turner nitrous. But unfortunately I'm too fat for one of those(190lbs and I think they have a weight limit of 175????)

For me I tend to keep my bikes and only get rid of them when the wifey complain

Heres a pic of my steed and my build, opted to custom spec as it came in better priced then ordering the ultimate kit
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Titanium pros and cons

Pros:
    3)Custom geometry
    1)Durability
    2)Bling factor (questionable. Titus titanium is brushed not polished. Not really blingy…)
    Cons:
    1)Price
    2)Weight (the aluminum Racer X frame does not qualify as light, but the titanium is quite heavier. The titanium has the brushed finnish, so it is thick and heavy. If I had to choose again, I would not order a titanium bike from Titus. I would rather go with Litespeed they have very light polished titanium frames. But again, I am sort of a weight weenie).
    3)Wait time

thats right living legend
    I much prefer the brushed ti of Titus over the polished of LSP.

I've alway's thought Tituses ti frames looked more hmmm hardcore? And that was long before I'd ever considered purchasing a Titus for myself.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    the good:
    1. with no major mishap, ti can outlast your cycling life (your life even?). the only thing that needs replacing is the rear triangle(bushing/bearings as well).

2. no heartaches if your front triangle gets scratched. use scotchbrite and it'll be as good as new! decals can be renewed

3. only ti and exo have custom geometry

the bad:
    1. if one day Titus were to come up with some radical new design that obsoletes the old rear triangle, you're pretty much f**ked.

2. if u need wear and tear as a reason to buy a new bike, u can forget it. better roll your truck over the bike.