Thread: Tire Talk

Trophy Husband

Tire Talk

Anybody have any experience with this tire? LINKY

Pic:
    gazzaswa.JPG

I used to have a pair of the Nokian NBX's...I liked 'em.

Talk amongst yourselves....
    Extreme stationary biker.

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Anybody have any experience with this tire? LINKY

Pic:
    gazzaswa.JPG

I used to have a pair of the Nokian NBX's...I liked 'em.

Talk amongst yourselves....

I run gazzalodi G 2.6 DH? I used to brag about them every other post?? I got one on the back of my SuMo DH. used to run them front and rear on the FR...why do you ask?

I ran them tubless on a mavic 823. very nice tire for just about everything DH. very long lasting, tubeless compatible. great tracktion on the edge. and center. even a heavy guy can run retarded low PSI tubless. I ran about 22PSI. my buddy used to run them at 14PSI, but that would kill rims on rocky DH runs. rolls incredibly fast.

very thick small tire.

2.6s are small ( exact same size as a nevegal 2.35) and heavy. 1400g. but there is no reason to run a tube.

PS they fit the rear of a motolite.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    I run gazzalodi G 2.6 DH? I used to brag about them every other post?? I got one on the back of my SuMo DH. used to run them front and rear on the FR...why do you ask?

I ran them tubless on a mavic 823. very nice tire for just about everything DH. very long lasting, tubeless compatible. great tracktion on the edge. and center. even a heavy guy can run retarded low PSI tubless. I ran about 22PSI. my buddy used to run them at 14PSI, but that would kill rims on rocky DH runs. rolls incredibly fast.

very thick small tire.

2.6s are small ( exact same size as a nevegal 2.35) and heavy. 1400g. but there is no reason to run a tube.

So, you're saying you like them???

These are the AM version. 795g. 2.3. I am looking at getting one for the rear of the XCL for the rainy season. Looks like a grippy tire.

"Its All Good"
    cariboulover, be done with it and get a Big Betty for the front and a Nobby Nick for the back, talk to Larry or Chad and the jobs done, you will be stoked with that combo....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

gravity curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    cariboulover, be done with it and get a Big Betty for the front and a Nobby Nick for the back, talk to Larry or Chad and the jobs done, you will be stoked with that combo....
    I'm running that combo right now on my spot: 2.4BB (triple) up front and 2.4NN in the back. The BB is a great front tire, and the NN rolls fast and gets the job done in the back. I sometimes run BB (guey glooey)/BB (triple), although that's a lot of tire for longer rides with big climbs. I also run NN/NN (both 2.4) when I want a faster and lighter setup. NNs are very fast rolling for the traction they give - very thin sidewalls are the only real downside. Among those 4 tires, I have most everything covered.

the 36 year old grom

These are the AM version. 795g. 2.3. I am looking at getting one for the rear of the XCL for the rainy season. Looks like a grippy tire.
    I don't know about rainy season. seems to be a choice of which tire sucks less.

the gazzaloddi G is a favorite tire, but I think that was more a factor of the low PSI. it has a very squar profile, I seem to recall that the tread has a dead spot in a shallow lean. yeah now I remember. I could count on the tires sliding until the edge hooks, the edge always hooks. . a little disconcerning, until you learn to corner on the tire's edge. In the old days I would lean the bike like a road bike. i.e. lean the bike and the body as one.

Now days... I lean the bike to get the edge of the tire to bite going into corners. i.e. lean the bike more then the rider. the edge of any tire is going to have more agressive tread then the center.

"El Whatever"

It depends on terrain... rain season in my regular riding spot means this...

It really depends on what sucks less as Demo mentions.

If it gets just wet-wet with with not much mud, you can go with a wide sticky tyre.

In sticky mud conditions, narrow spikey tyres are better and also if mud is too deep and the soil beneath is loose.

In mixed conditions, just get the tyre that will get the job done for the most of the ride and bear with the burden on the rest.
    Check my Site

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    It depends on terrain... rain season in my regular riding spot means this...

In sticky mud conditions, narrow spikey tyres are better and also if mud is too deep and the soil beneath is loose.

In mixed conditions, just get the tyre that will get the job done for the most of the ride and bear with the burden on the rest.
    Yup, you're right...I should have defined the conditions and desired use better.

IMO, the PNW doesn't have too much "sticky" mud...and if there is, usually there are enough puddles around to wash away most of it. By grip, I mean for wet roots and man-made woody TTF's.

I normally use Nevegals, which are great, but I'm just looking at experimenting...plus, Neve's don't last very long (knobs ripping off, bead tearing away from sidewall, quick wearing), but they are grippy! I also don't have issues running them at low pressures...I generally run them between 20-25psi, but have run them at 15.

The Bettys look like a great tire, but really are a little too wide for a back tire (for me)...I should give them a try out front though.

"El Whatever"
    Yup, you're right...I should have defined the conditions and desired use better.

IMO, the PNW doesn't have too much "sticky" mud...and if there is, usually there are enough puddles around to wash away most of it. By grip, I mean for wet roots and man-made woody TTF's.

I normally use Nevegals, which are great, but I'm just looking at experimenting...plus, Neve's don't last very long (knobs ripping off, bead tearing away from sidewall, quick wearing), but they are grippy! I also don't have issues running them at low pressures...I generally run them between 20-25psi, but have run them at 15.

The Bettys look like a great tire, but really are a little too wide for a back tire (for me)...I should give them a try out front though.
    You need tyres made out of chewing gum... as wide as they get.

I keep reading Nevegals are the shizzle for those conditions.

Maybe one of the Maxxis tyres with those 40 duro rubber like Minions. Betty's in Gooey Glooey are another contender, but no tyre that soft is gonna last. Not even F1 tyres have got that... and they literally have armies of engineers and teams designing and testing tyres for them, circuit by circuit, condition by condition. Somewhere I read Bridgestone have like 30 compounds for them, even if they can take only two per race.... wet and intermediate tyres not included.
    Check my Site

Trophy Husband
    You need tyres made out of chewing gum... as wide as they get.

I keep reading Nevegals are the shizzle for those conditions.

Maybe one of the Maxxis tyres with those 40 duro rubber like Minions. Betty's in Gooey Glooey are another contender, but no tyre that soft is gonna last...
    The Gazza G SWA in the original post is 40...one of the reasons I was asking about it. Wonder why it gets no love...except for demo slug love.

the 36 year old grom
    The Gazza G SWA in the original post is 40...one of the reasons I was asking about it. Wonder why it gets no love...except for demo slug love.
    Actually the Marzucki tire is the same as the Gazzaloddi. only difference was Marz had discovered that their logo happened to be the best tread block design. So it has little Ms all over it for the fan boy fashion victims in all of us. surprisingly there was some buzz over the Marz version of the tire.

"El Whatever"

Tyre bug itching... again...

Well... a bro is trying HARD to keep my NN's for his bike.

So, while I think I'll keep the NN for the rear (man, light nice tyre), I'm thinking to finally bite the bullet and try the Nevegals in 2.35" Stick-E for the front one.

Any thoughts??
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Are you saying that they can be converted to tubeless using Stan's or something or are you saying that they are UST compatible out of the box?

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolden Gears
    Are you saying that they can be converted to tubeless using Stan's or something or are you saying that they are UST compatible out of the box?
    the old nokian site called the MX wire bead casing Gazzaloddi G "tubeless compatable". which is why a got them. I always ran sealent with them mounted on 823s and they air up easy with a floor pump. its a very very thick tire. they are not foldable..

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

So, while I think I'll keep the NN for the rear (man, light nice tyre), I'm thinking to finally bite the bullet and try the Nevegals in 2.35" Stick-E for the front one.

Any thoughts??
    put your money towards the best shoes you can possibly get first... you have a fine selection of tyres already

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    put your money towards the best shoes you can possibly get first... you have a fine selection of tyres already
    I'd be no investing money on this one...

When I asked my wife about the shoes, she heard "shoes" and magically funds were granted. I'll have to wait a month or two, but so far they are "approved"
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hey Warp

Wallabies ate up the Springboks 25-17, although we were trailing 0-14 at one stage.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    Hey Warp

Wallabies ate up the Springboks 25-17, although we were trailing 0-14 at one stage.
    Cool!!! Dang, they're unstoppable...

Thanks for tenderizing them for "us"... Next weekend AB's Vs Springboks at Jade in Christchurch.

Do you know any channel that broadcasts the thing... I may download a P2P stuff to watch it.

Tried this trick with F1 but didn't got a dang channel... yet.
    Check my Site

Ti is addictive

Any thoughts??

Don't by the Kenda's for a couple of weeks,.......I will ship you a set (used around the block only once.........)
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Don't by the Kenda's for a couple of weeks,.......I will ship you a set (used around the block only once.........)
    All right... I'll not oppose any resistance... Thanks, Ti!!!
    Check my Site

the 36 year old grom
    I thought all the sheep rubbing together made the lightning?

"El Whatever"
    I thought all the sheep rubbing together made the lightning?
    Nah, it comes from the rubber rubbing on wool...

BTW... Mexico kicked Kiwi arse last sunday the Soccer Sub-20 WC... Sorry, Whafe, Aids, TA and all other Kiwis. We had to...
    Check my Site