Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Is it time for me to go 29?

Thanks Jeremy & Shiggy for sending me the new V2 Rockstar to demo. Hope you guys are prepared to drive down to Reno to get it back! :-). Weight is 27.25 lbs with temporary flat pedals (just to get it built up and tuned). I've never seen or heard of these tires, maybe Shiggy can give us the 411. Last race of my local series is tonight, I'm tempted to race it but this course has a pretty tricky, high speed DH section that I want to make sure I feel at home on. I have a two week break before the Northstar Series starts, I intend to give the Rockstar a proper shakedown.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

what's that rattle?
    That is a LOT less travel considering the mere 3/4lb of weight loss. Your EG is sick, I wouldn't switch at this point if I were you.

I've been asking myself the same question re. the 29er full suspension. I really like the looks of the Tallboy LTc, haven't seen anything else that makes me want to make the switch.

mtbr member
    I agree about the less travel vs weight thing. But I would say half the bikes at the local races are 29" lately. I've got to give it a try. I rode a RIP 9 at Interbike a few years back, the one thing that amazed me is how it rolled over small rocks and trail chatter that would have a much bigger effect on a 26" wheel. I'm hoping that the new geo makes it feel even more comfy. It feels much bigger then the EG. I think you could build one of these in the low 26, even high 25 lb range. Carbon bars, post, lighter seat, pedals, lighter grips, run tubeless. A friend has a Tallboy LTC, 28 lbs with a Kronlog post. He invested in some carbon wheels (not sure what brand) that he said will save a pound. Pretty impressive for such a big bike.

mtbr member
    When you get lazy the 29 inch wheels kick in. But, when you feal froggy, they hold you back. It's like a 50 cal with a flash supressor. Sure no one sees you but what the fun is that?

It really isn't that bad. More like sex with a rubber. Alot of people do it, some even have to do it, others choose to. Me, I've been bang'n the same trails for years so I go bare back and feal it all.

Oh wow, if that doesn't end up in a sig it should!
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Kind of looks like a low slung Motolite.. tire might have a pinchflat from that rock garden

what's that rattle?
    I was really tempted to buy an On-One Lurcher during the Father's Day blowout (dealbreaker was that the shipping to Canada was $100 more than shipping in the US). Something like that built in the low 20s might be a good 29er option for smoother courses.

I've seen a few sub-26lb Tallboy LTc builds. Want.

Terrible: Thank you for providing two excellent similes. I would "rep you", but I don't understand the purpose of that system and refuse to use it.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Blofeld View Post
    I was really tempted to buy an On-One Lurcher during the Father's Day blowout (dealbreaker was that the shipping to Canada was $100 more than shipping in the US). Something like that built in the low 20s might be a good 29er option for smoother courses.

I've seen a few sub-26lb Tallboy LTc builds. Want.

Terrible: Thank you for providing two excellent similes. I would "rep you", but I don't understand the purpose of that system and refuse to use it.
    Call us about the shipping to Canada. The system usually way overestimates the cost.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

what's that rattle?
    Thanks Shiggy, one more reason to let UGI get out of control...

mtbr member
    I finally was able to get my first ride on the Rockstar today. So far I am impressed but the question I ask myself is "what does it do better then my 26" bike?" The only think I can come up with is that it does hold momentum better then a 26" bike. It rolls over rocks a bit better. The ride I did to day was the Tahoe Rim Trail to the Incline Flume, we did a 7 mile road climb up Mt Rose Highway. With the XC race treads the thing climbed up the highway like a road bike, once on rolling trail, if I kept speed up, motoring along seemed like less effort but when I got to any granny gear climbs, boy did I notice the bigger wheels the 26/36 felt more like I was climbing in the 38/36 on my El Guapo. I was impressed with the Rubena Syllica tires, they felt pretty grippy and rolled very fast. Faster DH with sandy sections was a bit sketchy but if the trail was hard they gripped well. I felt more comfortable on the bike and you do get the sensation that you are riding in the bike as opposed to on it. The big question is if I am going to race it it next week in the Northstar series, at this point I am not sure, the dirt at Northstar is loose and these tires will not be a safe bet. I'm thinking about getting some tires with a bit more meat, the bike also has a horribly squealing front XO brake. The rotor has a good wobble in it, I was able to get it almost straight, I sanded the pads and cleaned the rotor with disc brake cleaner. I'm going to keep riding it for the rest of the week and try and figure out the front brake. I cant descend on the bike as well as the EG and that is my strongest asset but I think I can probably climb a bit faster on the Rockstar. Question is which is more important?

mtbr member
    DH is more fun than climbing. I'd rather push a couch to the top than ride down on a bar-stool.

Also, on the pads. Soak them in alcohol for 30 minutes then bake it off on your grill outside. Seems to help with all the junk that gets inside new pads. I use simple green to clean new rotors. A sprits with simple green then into the sink with dawn dish washing liquid.

mtbr member
    Well the bike isn't new, it was the same bike twentynine inches tested:
    Titus Cycles Rockstar: Mid-Term
    apparently they weren't very kind to it. Both rotors were bent and it has some pretty good nicks and scratches on it, its your typical demo bike. Who knows what the rotors and pads were put through.

mtbr member
    Yeah those things tend to get abused from what I hear. I'm just not a fan of any brakes other than shimano or hope. Just seen too many issues.

Sram makes (or did make) a spray that was great for brake rotors and pads. I have whats left of a can from the old shop and I have yet to find another source for it. I'm not sure if they quit making it or what happend.

NOT Team Sanchez
    One word: Formula!

Also, I've been experimenting with an El Rey, and my observations are similar to yours, Craig. On fast, rolling, curvy trails the 29er is superb as it holds speed so well and corners nicely. On moderate sized rocks it's also noticeably better than my 26ers. Where I feel held back is when it gets really chunky and fast, the wheels flex like crazy and make me pretty nervous. I'm running huge 30 plus mm Alex rims on a 20mm front axle and solid 10mm axle, it's not a wimpy setup, but I guess I've been spoiled by riding nothing but 729's for the last five years. I've also taken it off a few 16-17 feet doubles smoothly, although I do feel the rear end getting kicked up a bit due to the wheelbase.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    I'm not planning on taking it off any doubles or drops, if I get one it will be purely for racing and trail riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    craigstr how would you compare handling to the Motolite?

I've tried out the 29 wheels (hard tail, no fs yet) and have similar findings. Wheels are soo flimsy, step back to late 80's early 90's. I'm thinking if I build anything larger than 26" 36 h is a must

mtbr member
    It handles well, I cant really say I remember the ML's handling. Corners very well even with the xc rubber, I ordered some cheapish Intense System 29 in 2.25 tires with a bit more meat to give it try. I rode it this morning on a loop I time myself on, I was 45 seconds ahead of my PB 3 miles into a 4 mile climb when the chain went over the big cog. No damage done except it made me realize it needs a new derailleur hanger, I tried to have a shop straighten it but its been bent so many times it started to crack. Shiggy is sending me another one. The 29" wheels are very flimsy, this bike has Cobalt Race wheels and I can flex the wheel all the way to the seatstay and there are many rub marks already there.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    It handles well, I cant really say I remember the ML's handling. Corners very well even with the xc rubber, I ordered some cheapish Intense System 29 in 2.25 tires with a bit more meat to give it try. I rode it this morning on a loop I time myself on, I was 45 seconds ahead of my PB 3 miles into a 4 mile climb when the chain went over the big cog. No damage done except it made me realize it needs a new derailleur hanger, I tried to have a shop straighten it but its been bent so many times it started to crack. Shiggy is sending me another one. The 29" wheels are very flimsy, this bike has Cobalt Race wheels and I can flex the wheel all the way to the seatstay and there are many rub marks already there.
    The 29er Cobalts are on the flexy side. I prefer standard 32 spoke wheels.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I agree Shiggy, all the CB wheels are flexy, even the 26". If I were to build a 29 I would go with some American Classics, I really like the weight and stiffness of my 26" All Mountain wheels, top rank wheels in my book at an affordable price.

mtbr member
    Why not a pair of ck hubs and try out the new stans flow ex rims? It would do us all alot of good considering you are actually going to use a 29'r where most fear to tread. I like to see 29" wheels put up agains the worst possible conditions even though I have personally disavow'd them (sp?)

mtbr member
    Hell, get me a pair of rims and I'll build you the wheelset for shipping costs just to see you kill them in a race.

mtbr member

Thanks for the offer...

Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    Why not a pair of ck hubs and try out the new stans flow ex rims? It would do us all alot of good considering you are actually going to use a 29'r where most fear to tread. I like to see 29" wheels put up agains the worst possible conditions even though I have personally disavow'd them (sp?)
    I've run Stan's Flows but I think the tire retention on the AC's is better. Cant beat 1600 grams for a 29 trail wheel.
    MTB 29 TUBELESS

mtbr member
    Yeah I notice that the AC's have the a lip on the inside of the tires bead once seated. Seems like that would keep them from burping off at high lean angles. I think stans just ups the O.D. on their rims to keep them seated. Makes for a ***** of a time getting new tires on too.

And now that I looked at the specs on those rims they are really nice......stans did just put all their non-EX rims on sale though.

mtbr member

A few more rides under my belt

I've had the chance to get another ride in on the Rockstar, a more long XC type ride. I've got all the brake and shifting issues remedied. I put some Intense System 29 tires on it with a bit more bite then the Rubena's which gives me a little more confidence. I had three Strava PR's on the ride today, all on the long, rolling climb up. Again reinforces the fact that once you get the big wheels rolling and are strong enough to keep them rolling, you can be faster on XC type terrain. However on the downside, I was slower through some of the downhill & technical segments then on the EG. A riding buddy commented that I am taking more XC type lines, if I were on the EG its all fall line, shortest distance between two points. There were also a couple of really tight uphill swithcbacks that I couldnt make that I clear all the time on the EG. I'm also struggling with the gearing. The 26/39 up front wouldnt work for the terrain I ride, I would have to swap it for a 24/38 in the front. I could see why the 29 er is replacing the 26" XC bike, its easier to ride, more comfortable, and faster over bumpy terrain. I see why most companies are only offering their XC bikes in 29 (or 650B) wheels now, the 26" XC bike is obsolete. The ride I did today is I ride I do all the time in the spring, its 15.7 miles:
    Bike Ride Profile | 16miles near Reno | Times and Records | Strava
    Usually takes me about 1:45 to 1:50, so my time was pretty average. I havent done it in a while on the EG and I know I am in much better shape then the last time I rode it on the EG, it would be interesting to see how quick I am on the EG compared to the Rockstar. I see myself getting a 29er for racing on XC type courses, the Northstar series is going to have a hillclimb this year, if I still have the Rockstar, I see myself riding it for the fireroad climb to the top of Northstar.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

jms
    mtbr member

Way Too Much

Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    if I still have the Rockstar, I see myself riding it for the fireroad climb to the top of Northstar.
    The Rockstar will be way too much bike for that event. Hardtail all the way. Too bad you can't get your hands on a Fireline. The Rockstars are good trail, and passable XC race bikes, but certainly not hill climb rigs. I've got a 24.5 lb RX29, and I'd STILL use my 29er hardtail for a hill climb type of event.
    Last edited by jms; 07-14-2012 at 08:29 PM.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Well my bike choices are a 38 lb Knolly Delirium, a 28 Lb El Guapo, or a 27 lb. Rockstar for the hillclimb. Very few people ride hardtails in Tahoe, terrain is way too technical.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast