mtbr member
    May 2005

Ti ML --> Ti FTM

I finished building-up my Ti FTM last night. I made a direct part swap from the Ti ML. (- the seat-post)

1: I immediately felt like I was sitting more "in" the bike compared to the ML. I can't explain it any better than that. It might be my imagination, but I felt it the second I rode off.

2: Initial turn in is not as quick on the FTM. Steering input is a bit more gradual and predictable. For my taste, this is a big improvement. Possibly not so for others.

3: I don't remember feeling the same ML front end lightness on the steep climbs today, but I'll have to revisit that. It's never really bothered me on the ML so I'll have to think more about it tomorrow.

4: The rear is definitely stiffer, no doubt about it. All of the spots (on this trail) that made me think about flex in the past were either gone or greatly diminished. Tires, wheels, everything was swapped from the ML to the FTM. The FTM is stiffer.

5: The FTM (with the latest RP23) is way more plush, there is no comparison. Maybe the 09 RP23 makes all the difference, or maybe it's the combination.

A few pics:

Last edited by orthorex; 03-28-2009 at 02:58 PM.

dog
    sit! stay!
    tres nice!!!

that's for posting you're initial ride impressions!

interesting about the rear feeling stiffer... and the slower steering...

also, it's supposed to have a lower BB... could you tell and difference from that?
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dog
    tres nice!!!

that's for posting you're initial ride impressions!

interesting about the rear feeling stiffer... and the slower steering...

also, it's supposed to have a lower BB... could you tell and difference from that?
    I'll focus on the front end during steep climbs and the lower BB tomorrow. Different ride. As far as the steering goes, it is by no means sluggish. Initial turn-in seems more consistent with the rest. More gradual. I love it.

Ti is addictive
    You just had to give it a good review didn't you.......You know my ML is my least favorite Titus since I got the EG, so now you've dangled temptation in front of me.

Sounds like you've found nirvana....enjoy and post up more comparison notes
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

Ultimated Outsider
    Nice pup. Bike is nice to.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

mtbr member

Very Nice

Beautiful Bike, Dog and House!! Enjoy Orthorex.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yes, finally someone else to back up my claim on the rear end stiffness, it really is a lot stiffer!

Great pics of the beautiful bike, dog, and house. Please keep us up to date on your thoughts the more you ride.

I too have not had the front "creep" when riding up and I ride mine with a fixed 140mm Float! The Titus demo day was this weekend and the rep they brought out for it told me the FTM was designed around a 140mm fork, so for all of you out there worrying about the right fork choice, fear no more!

Paper or plastic?
    I like plush!! This is good to know. Any of you rode a Mojo or 5 Spot before to compare the level of plushness?

I agree with TiEndo. Once you ride an EG, it's hard to ride anything else.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    May 2005
    After ride #2 what is clear to me is that FTM is laterally stiffer, more plush (09 RP23?), and more stable descending than the ML. FTM is a bit longer and lower. The front and rear end feel more in sync with each other. It's quieter. The rear end feels more planted over choppy ruts and under braking. I never had issues with a "light" front end on the ML, and the FTM feels fine here as well so I can't claim improvement in this area.

My pal rode it a bit bit today. He has ridden my old ML as well. The first thing he said after cranking it around was..."it feels lower".

During the first third of the descent today, I thought I was wrong about my initial thoughts on the FTM being more plush. It felt just like the ML used to feel in that section. I stopped, and found the Pro Pedal was on, position 1.

I am loving the FTM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Wick
    Beautiful Bike, Dog and House!! Enjoy Orthorex.
    Thanks Wick. If I had to choose between the three, I would take the dog. In a second.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Would you have frame weights of ftm vs motolite?

Is the improvement of the ftm enough to warrant changing from a ti moto to an alu ftm? I love ti but can't afford the ti ftm. TIA

mtbr member
    Maybe this is a dumb question but does your ti ML also have carbon fiber seat stays?
    Thanks, CK

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade K
    Maybe this is a dumb question but does your ti ML also have carbon fiber seat stays?
    Thanks, CK
    They or "it" is CF but different than last years. The seat-stays are now one piece.

"El Whatever"
    Thanks Ortho for giving us something to send our kid's college savings to. Education is overrated anyways...
    Check my Site

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Thanks Ortho for giving us something to send our kid's college savings to. Education is overrated anyways...
    I say hold on to the savings and just see if Bikerbob will do a straight kid-for-Ti FTM trade.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm really glad to hear about the "lighter front end" on climbs. That was my only beef with my ML1. Although I have since gotten used to it and don't notice it much anymore unless at 140mm travel. The lower bottom bracket seems to be the only major geometry difference between FTM and ML. Chainstays, wheelbase and HA are all the same. Are the geometry numbers on the website taken with the same fork for the ML and FTM? I suppose a different fork could tweak the geometry a bit.