mtbr member

Thoughts on El Guapo

I ride an '07 ML with Talas 140, PUSH's RP23, and 2.4 Continental MK's. I really do like this bike, my only desire is a bit more capable descender with better cornering. OK, let me restate that - I'm looking for something that will help me become a better descender and take corners at higher speed with more confidence.

I like the geometry of the EG, but am a bit leery of weight. I've been considering other bikes like the Mojo HD 140, Yeti 575, and Pivot 5.7 - but with the current firesale on a EG's I feel it's something I should at least consider.

If I were to swap over an all XT build, Juicy 7's, Stan's Flow w/ Hadley wheelset, Maxm aluminum bars, and gravity dropper, would I be in the sub 30lb range?

Seems I might also be hamstringing the EG a bit with a 140mm shock. Was hoping to keep things on the cheap, but bumping up to a 150mm or 160mm seems appropriate.

Thoughts on weight and fork option?

mtbr member

Must have a 160mm fork

Quote Originally Posted by ebeer
    I ride an '07 ML with Talas 140, PUSH's RP23, and 2.4 Continental MK's. I really do like this bike, my only desire is a bit more capable descender with better cornering. OK, let me restate that - I'm looking for something that will help me become a better descender and take corners at higher speed with more confidence.

I like the geometry of the EG, but am a bit leery of weight. I've been considering other bikes like the Mojo HD 140, Yeti 575, and Pivot 5.7 - but with the current firesale on a EG's I feel it's something I should at least consider.

If I were to swap over an all XT build, Juicy 7's, Stan's Flow w/ Hadley wheelset, Maxm aluminum bars, and gravity dropper, would I be in the sub 30lb range?

Seems I might also be hamstringing the EG a bit with a 140mm shock. Was hoping to keep things on the cheap, but bumping up to a 150mm or 160mm seems appropriate.

Thoughts on weight and fork option?
    I went from an ML to an EG and I love it. With a 140 or 150 fork though the bb will be too low, the geometry is designed around a 160mm fork. All the bikes you mentioned as alternatives are a lesser bike then the EG, go with the EG and with the money you save get yourself a Lyric or Float 36, dont mess with travel adjust, the EG doesnt need it. The weight depends alot on frame size, I have a large with Flows, Float 36, and a Joplin 4 and mine is 31 lbs.

mtbr member
    How does your EG handle super steep and slow technical climbs? My daily loops combine steep ups and steep downs, I like to climb as much as I like to descend. Does the relaxed geometry and longer travel fork make things a lot tougher than the ML?

mtbr member

I think the EG climbs better then the ML

No front end wander at all. The thing rips on the DH's. Here is a little vid I put together in the fall.

mtbr member
    Nice vid! Thanks for the input, and happy to hear (which I've seen many times here as well) that the EG is a very capable climber. I thing geo and fit are probably the most important factors, I don't want weight to be a big factor - but with all the carbon long travel bikes and lighter frames it's hard not to be tempted. All said, especially considering price, the EG really seems a viable option.

Off the back...
    I'd concur - the EG climbs very well. To be honest, I think it climbs at least as well as the ML. The weight is not a significant factor.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    It's a good climber, I can go faster and it doesn't wander. I used to pull uphill endo's on the ML. Hasn't happened on the EG yet. If you want to raise the bb just us an external bottom headset cup, and get a tall rear tire.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The EG climbs better than the ML. The front end wanders a little bit on steep climbs and I have noticed any wandering on the EG. The EG is also very stable on descents.

mtbr member
    but with all the carbon long travel bikes and lighter frames it's hard not to be tempted.
    I post this every time some one talks about a long travel carbon bike but I like to put it out there! Carbon is great for race bikes and what not but I think it doesn't belong on "beater" bikes. I broke my 09 carbon enduro sl without riding it any harder than my 09 ftm.

That being said, I'm now on a 2010 EG and I'd never look back at carbon for my 6 inch+ bikes. It's just not needed either. With a build that isn't too weight concious (36 talas fork cheap specialized DT rims/hubs 2.35 schwalbe wicked will tires w/tubes) I'm still at 31.8 lbs.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    I think everyone who made the switch from the ML to an EG had the same initial concerns on the climb. Verdict as all above has said....the EG climbs better. In my opinion, another degree or 2 steeper on the seat tube would "perfect" that aspect but as is, its definitely no slouch.

Mine is built 35-36lb with a point-down bias most days. Won't win any climbing competition and like any long travel bike on the ups, strain is on the lower back after awhile. Techie climbs going over roots/ rocks and square edge, you'll appreciate that you can loft the front with control to put it back down while not snaking around on the incline.

Swapping over to my "lite" kit a... brings me back to warp speed on the ups. I honestly don't miss any of my old xc bikes.

In short, you can have a one-bike-do-it-all with it. With a few spare components to swap around, it broadens the capabilities of this frame even more.