parts leftover

For those with a Racer-X...

I'm interested in finding out what 5.5-6" travel trail/AM bike people are buying who also own a Racer-X and really like it.

My PUSHed Racer-X is doing great for me, but I want to find a longer-travel bike to compliment it that doesn't blow through travel due to high leverage ratios and design toward ultra-plush mattress feel. In other words, I want a decent amount of top to mid stroke support to be able to climb efficiently and do 30+ mile rides. At appropriate sag, I don't want to go through all six inches of travel on a root.

The El Guapo and Yeti 575 seem like good candidates since they use the Mac-strut style suspension that the Racer X does. I'm looking at DW/VPP bikes as well, however, I've heard that they can be too plush, offer pedal feedback, and that granny gears spinning don't engage the anti-squat characteristics.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    I've had a Hammerhead 100x (Racer X 100) for 7 years and have ridden tons of 5.5-6.5 inch AM bikes and owned two (Intense 6.6 and Knolly Delirium T), and the one that reminded me most of my HH was the '08 El Guapo.

It felt light, nimble, snappy, and flickable. It seems to steer sharp yet still be stable and the FSR horst rear suspension feels a lot like the HH. In fact when I got off of it after an hour long test ride on real trail I said, "This feels like a 6" version of my HH".

The Chumba EVO is also on that list as is the Norco LT 2 and, of course, the Del T.... although the DT feels like a lot bigger bike. More in the AM/FR category but still able to handle all day climbs and trail/AM type stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

6" travel Racer-X

Have a look at the 2010 Speclialized line up. The new S Works Enduro is exactly the bike you described. It's bascly a 6" travel Racer-X. I sure hope Titus is doing their home work!

http://www.mbaction.com/ME2/dirmod.a...DAA0A24410DDE9

Sopwithcamel

Ultimated Outsider
    Looks like the El Guapo is what you are looking for, with the right mix of componet it can be built in the sub 30, most who own it on here also had ML and X's and they love them.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schlim
    I'm interested in finding out what 5.5-6" travel trail/AM bike people are buying who also own a Racer-X and really like it.

My PUSHed Racer-X is doing great for me, but I want to find a longer-travel bike to compliment it that doesn't blow through travel due to high leverage ratios and design toward ultra-plush mattress feel. In other words, I want a decent amount of top to mid stroke support to be able to climb efficiently and do 30+ mile rides. At appropriate sag, I don't want to go through all six inches of travel on a root.

The El Guapo and Yeti 575 seem like good candidates since they use the Mac-strut style suspension that the Racer X does. I'm looking at DW/VPP bikes as well, however, I've heard that they can be too plush, offer pedal feedback, and that granny gears spinning don't engage the anti-squat characteristics.

Any suggestions?
    Before I bought my ML, I demoed a Blur LT (Vpp1), a dw linked Iron Horse and a Giant with Maestro. I found the suspension of all of these to be worse than the ML when in the granny gear. Of those three I would rank them as Giant (best), Iron Horse and Blur. VPP way overrated in my mind.

I have only limited time on an EG, but found it to be really nice, firm peddling but really plush at the same time.

NOT Team Sanchez

Sop a mole?

Quote Originally Posted by sopwithcamel
    Have a look at the 2010 Speclialized line up. The new S Works Enduro is exactly the bike you described. It's bascly a 6" travel Racer-X. I sure hope Titus is doing their home work!

http://www.mbaction.com/ME2/dirmod.a...DAA0A24410DDE9

Sopwithcamel
    This is the Titus board holmes, you sure are cozy with Spesh............collusion
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have had a hammerhead 100X for ~4-5 years now. I am looking at 5" travel bikes for my next upgrade.

Rode the Yeti 575, liked it, but not totally. Rode the Titus FTM, didn't like it. Rode the Pivot 429 (29" - not in the cards, would rather have a 5" 26" than a 4" 29er).

The current leader in the hunt is a Pivot Mach 5, followed by a Turner 5-spot. Either will be a great bike, it will really come down to the deal at the time.

But I am not done demo'ing bikes yet, since I am not buying until next spring, I have more options in the search.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

RJG
    mtbr member

Only 5"

I went from a Racer X to a Chumba XCL since the suspension design is pretty much the same. I would have gone with the ML but at the time the prices weren't what they seem to be today. Anyway, I would try the EL Guapo or the Chumba EVO for 6" travel if you like the Horst design. If you are more XC oriented then try the ML, XCL or the Yeti 575. I found that the angles made more a difference, mainly the slacker head angle, than the actual travel but that's just my opinion.
    Rick