mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Thompson Elite Seat Post Failures?

I have been following the Cozy Beehive blog discussing Thompson Elite Seat Post failures and now I am starting to get nervous. Here is the link:

http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/

Does this make anyone else nervous?

Sopwithcamel

Ti is addictive
    Nope, not at all.....consider the number of Thomson posts out there in this world, some being over a decade old. One guys blog stating seeing a couple shear breaks could be fluke or a just a bad batch. I'd be more nervous on a Carbon Fibre post or one of the Uberlight KCNC/Tune products. I've run Thomson posts on everyone of my bikes since 1996 and it will always be my first choice in Posts.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Nope, not at all.....consider the number of Thomson posts out there in this world, some being over a decade old. One guys blog stating seeing a couple shear breaks could be fluke or a just a bad batch. I'd be more nervous on a Carbon Fibre post or one of the Uberlight KCNC/Tune products. I've run Thomson posts on everyone of my bikes since 1996 and it will always be my first choice in Posts.
    well put, TiE!

dog
    sit! stay!
    i've never had one break or fail in any way... every other kind i've owned has broken...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

banned
    I'm sorry, the Cozy Beehive guy is nothing but an Alex Jones type conspiracy theorist and nothing more than a spammer trying to insert himself inanely into the discussions and making something out of nothing.

They're seatposts. Like anything else we use, they can break. That's the price we pay for demanding seatposts that don't weigh 800 grams.

In a few words, no. I have Thomsons on both our bikes. They're not the lightest, not the heaviest, but have been trouble-free for many for years. Better than many other posts, in fact.

The beehive guy is looking to make a big explosion out of nothing and drive hits to his site, like that Ryders glasses lady.

what's that rattle?
    Quote Originally Posted by sopwithcamel

Does this make anyone else nervous?
    Well, all those videos of babies really freaked me out when I clicked on your link.

As for the seatposts, the MTBR guy's didn't fail until there was a crack that went nearly halfway around the post. I think it's reasonable to assume that in most situations a rider would notice a crack of that size or hear some creaking before the failure. I guess apacherider's saddlebag could have hidden both clues in this case, but it also saved him when the post broke, so that's a wash.

I tried to read through the story about the bumblebee man's buddy, but I was a bit confused by all the stuff copy-and-pasted from the Thomson website. How small does a saddle have to be to let a bike land on it's seatpost? This one seems like a total fluke.

I'd say the only reason to worry is if Thomson has recently changed their material suppliers or if they are saving money by not using any coolant on their machines. The only other thing I can think of that could have caused both of these failures is the riders slamming their seatposts all the way down scoring the quote-unquote bending fuse, which would be more of a usage issue and not a worry.

banned
    Beehive guy is trying to find a problem for a conspiracy he's thought of before the problem.

Ultimated Outsider
    Beehive dude sounds like a lawyer trolling for info.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Ron is no lawyer, he is just a quirky Mechanical Engineer who is trying to figure out why a seat post that is suppose bend before it breaks is having sudden catastrophic failures.

Sopwithcamel

banned
    He doesn't sound like a mechanical engineer. If he was, then he wouldn't be so astounded at such things going on.

what's that rattle?
    A Thomson employee left a comment on the blog, saying that over-torquing is the only way that kind of ear-tab failure is likely to happen. Apparently, they break like that when the bolts are cranked to ~125in-lb (recommended max is 60in-lb).

He also said that Thomson would replace the post gratis, despite the high likelihood of ham-fisting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Blofeld.....

Thanks, I missed that part. It just goes to show you how important proper torque is on modern mountain bike components. It also nice to see LJ Thompson comment on the issue. That tells me they got a handle on it.

As for everyone that thought that Ron was trying to start a conspiracy, no this is just how engineers think and talk. Yah, I know we are a lot of fun at parties!

As for the babies, okay that is a little weird. Hopefully that is an inside joke.

Sopwithcamel

what's that rattle?

Not just engineer-speak

A single case study isn't a representative sample group. This is especially true when we have no idea of the part's history. What's boggling is how the bumblebee man took one broken post as an opportunity to slam Thomson's website as a "marketing mishap". Discussing the merits of anodization is one thing, too much of the rest of it reads like it's on some other agenda.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Bloefeld.......

Actually this is the second seat post we have seen break in this way in the last two months. Ron isn't grinding an axe here, he is just expressing a concern and informing people who use this seat post to inspect it frequently. He also hopes that Thompson is looking at the failures to see what is causing the failures. It could be something as simple as a change in factory process or procedure or even as simple as installation error. But I am sure Thompson will do a root cause engineering analysis as Ron suggests just to make sure.

Sopwithcamel