Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Thinking of buying a motolite

Im sick of all the maintenance required to ride my blur. The bearing in the link behind the bottom bracket wore out in less than a year. I don't race I just like to ride 3 times a week 10 to 12 miles a day.No drops over 2 ft. How long can you go without changing the bearings on a motolite?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You must be talking about the original blur.
    A year youre still under warranty.
    Just out of curiousity, how much maintenance issues
    have you had ? I've had a blur XC for about 4 mo,
    do about the same amount of riding as you do,
    and have done zero maintenance, with no
    problems so far.
    Maybe the new blurs have better bearing
    protection ?

OOPS, forgive me, this is supposed to be a Titus forum.
    All I can tell you about the ML is, I have a buddy that
    rides one, havent heard him complain about the
    bearings.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    From their web site:
    How often do I need to replace my Horst-link bushings and how do I do it?

The life of the sealed bearings and Horst pivot bushings on your bike will vary depending on the type of conditions you ride in and the way you ride. You should be able to get two or more years out of your Horst pivots if you disassemble them every 6-12 months to clean and re-lube the bushings.
    Mine's five months old, I haven't serviced them, still quiet and smooth.

thats right living legend
    In my experiance, the ML will serve you for quit some time. Probably till you forget it has bearings...

screamer
    I was told by my LBS that they've serviced the main pivots on only one of the MLs they've sold over the years. This was for a guy who severely pressure-washed his bike. Barring user error, they are extremely reliable especially in wet climates, one of the reasons why I opted for the bike (and not a Blur) in the first place.

mtbr member
    I owned a Motolite for six months and while it was a great bike i had some problems with the h-link bushings coming lose. Another thing to look out for is the paint is crap. The slightest contact with anything and it will flake off.

Eyes:blue. Knuckles:white
    Quote Originally Posted by forceyoda
    I owned a Motolite for six months and while it was a great bike i had some problems with the h-link bushings coming lose. Another thing to look out for is the paint is crap. The slightest contact with anything and it will flake off.
    Yeah, paint not great but problem can be mitigated by liberal use of clear sticky film of some description.

HL bushing problem easily solved too - remove bolts, wipe clean and coat the threads liberally in copper anti-sieze grease. When you re-insert them, the bushing sleeves are coated which reduces the friction causing them to loosen in the first place. Problem solved - mine haven't budged since I did this and you don't have the worry of stripping them as you might if you use loctite.

With those two problems out of the way you will enjoy one extremely fine bike.

the 36 year old grom
    Another thing to look out for is the paint is crap. The slightest contact with anything and it will flake off.
    my paint is great. close to a year and nothing more then minor cable rub. the red is beautifull as ever.

mtbr member
    The paint problem was with the 06 Models.
    I am not trying to diss the Motolite, i know it is a great bike but WENTZVILLE's question was related to the maintanence required to have one i was just letting him know what he would be looking at.
    Motolite Paint
    and here is what my own motolite looked like after a month of riding:
    Attached Images Attached Images

the 36 year old grom
    The paint problem was with the 06 Models.
    I am not trying to diss the Motolite, i know it is a great bike but WENTZVILLE's question was related to the maintenance required to have one i was just letting him know what he would be looking at.
    Motolite Paint
    and here is what my own motolite looked like after a month of riding:
    was there anything that was not correct about my post? nope, my motolite has great paint. this is a true statement. your motolite had crappy paint.

"Another thing to look out for is the paint is crap. The slightest contact with anything and it will flake off." does not hold true for "all" motolites past or present.. mine and my buddies do not have this same issue. the paint is great. seems like there was a manufacturing defect with paint on some motolites. you got a bad one. get it fixed and get over it.

I'm sure its not the first or the last time you'll buy something that was defective.

Yes...

Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    was there anything that was not correct about my post? nope, my motolite has great paint. this is a true statement. your motolite had crappy paint.

"Another thing to look out for is the paint is crap. The slightest contact with anything and it will flake off." does not hold true for "all" motolites past or present.. mine and my buddies do not have this same issue. the paint is great. seems like there was a manufacturing defect with paint on some motolites. you got a bad one. get it fixed and get over it.

I'm sure its not the first or the last time you'll buy something that was defective.

My paint has also been perfect after more than a year of abusing the $hit out of it. I guess it's true there was a bad batch of paint, people saying the ML's (paint is bad) is geting old. "Thier" paint was bad through a "mistake"... That means it shouldn't be the norm. So until we get another run of "bad paint" reports, this should not hold as a stated fact....

How do I know? Like I said the paint on my own ML has held up incredibly well. All it takes is a good wash, and she's brand new again.

mtbr member

Is it a defect or simply Titus cutting corners?
    Every other 06 Motolite I have seen looks the same way. You can search the forums and you will find plenty of other threads on this. I know that before 06 their paint was never an issue so you and your buddie would not have had to deal wiith it. But since they started making them over seas it has become one.
    I never implied that all Motolites "past and present" have the paint problem but when some one is asking about purchasing one they are going to be looking at the 06 model which unfortunatly has a low quality paint on an otherwise perfect bike.
    Last edited by forceyoda; 08-12-2006 at 11:41 PM.

Every other 06 Motolite I have seen looks the same way. You can search the forums and you will find plenty of other threads on this. I know that before 06 their paint was never an issue so you and your buddie would not have had to deal wiith it. But since they started making them over seas it has become one.
    I never implied that all Motolites "past and present" have the paint problem but when some one is asking about purchasing one their are going to be looking at the 06 model which unfortunatly has a low quality paint on an otherwise perfect bike.

Demo's mentioned his buddies ML befor and I can tell you I'm pretty sure it's an 06. Thier was a run of bad paint, some had gotten one, they posted. Not all ML's have had that problem.

The only thing you can say is, you and some people you read about had gotten a ML with bad paint... PERIOD!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    After looking at that picture, going beyond the paint issue, the blur XC,
    from what I've seen anyway, also looks like its built better.
    A year is not a bad use to get out of a set of bearings, especially
    if you do a lot of water crossings. I'm sure the ML is a great bike,
    I know people that have them and are happy with them, but I'm
    glad I opted for the blur XC. I think it climbs a better too (at least
    in my exp. in riding with people with ML's.)
    Last edited by coati; 08-12-2006 at 11:51 PM.

Whaa???

Quote Originally Posted by coati
    glad I opted for the blur XC. I think it climbs a little better too.

I've seen many Blur's, and ML's and I can assure you, that to my eye's the ML is built far better than any Blur I've ever seen.

As for climbing better... it's a Blur XC, I would hope so.

Uh... Waite A Minute???

glad I opted for the blur XC. I think it climbs a better too (at least
    in my exp. in riding with people with ML's.)

First your going by "that picture" to say the Blur's built better, now you ride along side guy's with MLs???

Edit: For the record, I noticed this due to your edit...
    Last edited by blackagness; 08-13-2006 at 12:03 AM.

the 36 year old grom
    cost cutting on 06 ML.....those cheep titus bastids. they also charge 100 buck less for it too... I should demand a refund!!!! man that just makes me mad. all you other guys got the same bike for $100 bucks less. I was robbed. Free rp3 upgrade, Freeride lowers. AL rocker bolts vs my cheap steel bolts. they just ripped me off...man that just makes me mad. how dare they improve thier product and charge less for it and then dare to sell them

.....at least mine is red.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    First your going by "that picture" to say the Blur's built better, now you ride along side guy's with MLs???

Edit: For the record, I noticed this due to your edit...
    Yes, I edited it because I felt I should be accurate, and not just
    make statements. Up the technical stuff it seems like this bike
    makes an easier job of it than the ML. I've just noticed from a
    few rides with one guy I know that has an ML - who is actually
    a stronger rider then me by the way - that he seems to have a
    harder time cleaning some of the uphill technical stuff.
    On the downhill side the ML wins.

Heres another edit to address the other part of your question:
    What I was referring to in the picture was the bottom bracket
    area. It just did not appear, and I'll grant you it wasnt a very
    close up shot, but you could see what it was more or less -
    of the kind of quality you'd see in, say, a Turner bottom
    bracket. To me it looked rather pedestrian for a bike in that
    price range.
    Last edited by coati; 08-13-2006 at 12:54 AM.

the 36 year old grom

, but you could see what it was more or less -
    of the kind of quality you'd see in, say, a Turner bottom
    bracket. To me it looked rather pedestrian for a bike in that
    price range.
    dude. you need to flip your blur over an take a look. becuase, its a bike that is closer to the ML price. I like the blur, but if you want to talk about cutting corners. those SC guys pinch/bent the rear end tubes to create clearnece for the tires. notice the ML chain stay yoke is Huge CNC section with the tire's relief in it. that is clean and deliberate. on SC ... ohShit the tire doesn't fit... pinch the tube, just put a big dent in it..

Yeah!

dude. you need to flip your blur over an take a look. becuase, its a bike that is closer to the ML price. I like the blur, but if you want to talk about cutting corners. those SC guys pinch/bent the rear end tubes to create clearnece for the tires. notice the ML chain stay yoke is Huge CNC section with the tire's relief in it. that is clean and deliberate. on SC ... ohShit the tire doesn't fit... pinch the tube, just put a big dent in it..

Yes, not to bag on the Blur, but PLEEAASSE!

"El Whatever"
    I never implied that all Motolites "past and present" have the paint problem but when some one is asking about purchasing one they are going to be looking at the 06 model which unfortunatly has a low quality paint on an otherwise perfect bike.
    Titus version is that it was a bad batch (how small or large, I don't know) where the primer was improperly cured and the top coat didn't come on right. They know about it.

Titus has offered to warrant ML's with this issue.. which is well known by TItus, dealers and customers.

Go back to your dealer, show them your problem and they'll work it out with Titus. Don't quit until they fully satisfy you. They will.

This goes to all ML owners.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Killer ML

I have a medium ML listed on e-bay. Check it out. TB

Eyes:blue. Knuckles:white
    my paint is great. close to a year and nothing more then minor cable rub. the red is beautifull as ever.
    Actually, on second thoughts, my paint is fine too! Possibly because I've gone for broke with the bikeshield, but even some exposed areas which take a hammering such as the BB shell are in pretty good condition. The chain has made a wee bit of a mess of the drive-side chainstay, but no worse than I've seen on other bikes and I've been careless with cassettes and disk rotors when removing the rear wheel, but apart from that she's still looking mighty fine 6 months down the line.

I think I've just been suffering from paint-damage paranoia rather than actual paint damage...

ಠ_ಠ
    Just checked out the underside of my ML and the chainstay next to the bottom bracket has gotten hammered by the chain. I thought I had done a good job protecting my chainstay both on top AND underneath, but the chain slap reaches all the way up to the chainstay yoke! Who knew?!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ok, I see the CNC part now. You've still got welds very close in on that. Theres not
    a lot of CNC work that I can see from that picture, but its good to have it.
    I dont think the VPP linkage lends itself to CNC work down there, but SC has
    done the next best thing and recessed the pivots well to minimize dirt
    collection, among other things.
    Since I was thinking about it, I did look at the bottom of the blur last night
    for comparison. It looks very cleanly executed. If I look at the 2 pivot points, from a
    construction standpoint, it looks well thought out to me. As far as what you say
    "pinched tubes" - I can assure you theres no pinched tubes on that rear end.
    Thats something you find on low end bikes, SC wouldnt do that.
    I have 2.1s on there now, and have no problem with clearance on muddy
    trails. This is something SC addressed with the 06 models.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast