mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Tapping the Titus knowledge bank - MotoLite shock options

It is coming up where I'll need to have my MotoLite's RP2 serviced. The shock should be serviced this winter, not having any problems with it - it's just about that time.

I have never liked the propedal setting on this shock, way too harsh to be useful for anything but racing so I always ride it wide open with about 12mm sag.

I am debating on whether to send the rp2 over to Push for a rebuild and custom tune or maybe look into getting the Monarch designed for the FTM and throwing it on. It would only be marginally more $$ to get the Monarch and I'd have a brand new shock. I'm running the Monarch that came stock on my El Guapo and I like it a lot.

Can anyone confirm if the FTM uses the same eye-2-eye and stroke length as the ML. Can anyone tell me how much different the shock curve is between the FTM and MotoLite when the ML is run in 5-inch mode? What about the beginning/ending leverage ratio? Finally, has anyone run the Monarch on their ML and can you share your opinions?

Not sure anyone knows all of this but I had to ask.

Thanks-

Bike Geek
    Hi, this is Bre and I work at Planet X / Titus and I'll try to help you out a little bit.

Yes the shocks use the same eye to eye and stroke so you would be able to use a Monarch if you like. From my experience the Monarch is a much stiffer acting shock. So if you are a fairly heavy rider and like a slower, stiffer feeling shock you will love the Monarch. Because I am light and small 5'5" I found the Monarch to be too stiff in all settings and made my Titus feel like a hardtail much of the time, even with 40% sag. Once I put a RP23 on the bike it came alive and felt like it should.
    Now take that with a grain of salt because I get a lot of feedback from riders that absolutely rave about the Monarch over the RP's. We also get a lot of riders that have their shocks tuned by Push and have super positive feedback about the feel once they get them back.

Oh, and one other thing to keep in mind about the two shocks. The Rock Shox bushing assembly is better than Fox's in that with the Fox ones you will get knocking in your suspension from the bushings being worn out in a year or two, depending on how much you ride. Of course this is fairly minor and can be easily repaired or even prevented with some RWC shock eye needle bearings, but it is still an issue we see a lot of.

Hope that helps a little bit!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Nice, thanks for the response. So funny, my air seals just blew out yesterday and I thought about what I'm ging to do. This gives me something to think about.

mtbr member
    Go for the Pushed shock, without question. I was close to 200lbs and had a RP23 that I had pushed. The PUSH treatment will make the PP useful and really improve the ride. On my 2007 ML, I moved to a HV sleeve with the Push bottom out bumper. I would run close to 18mm of Sag with PP1. This set-up would give me a ride that would climb great and was nice and plush on the downs. Highly recommended. In fact, the ML is a completely different bike with a Pushed shock. Stock, I actually found it harsh. With the Push mod, the bike is plush and bottomless.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Vespi, thanks for chiming in. I was leaning towards the Monarch but you may have swayed me. I'll call Push tomorrow and talk it thru with them. I'm sure they have done a ton of shocks for the MotoLite.

Mike

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just sent my wife's RP23 off to Push. They had it headed back to me the same day they got it. Now that's fast service. I'll let you know how it works after this weekend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Here's another vote for the Pushed RP2. Big improvement over stock, both with propedal engaged and not.

I also run a Fox DHX 5.0 air shock fitted with the new Fox frictionless bushings on my ML. Very nice! A little heavier though, but I can tune a setting that is right between the two RP2 settings such that I don't wallow as much with the RP2 in the open position and still has a relatively firm pedaling. Combined with a carbon lefty from my old Cannondale, I've got a customized suspension perfect for the rooty trails here in Houston. I'm 205 lbs.