Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

tallest reducer headset to fit an EG v3?

ok so turns out my Revelation is a little short for good dh geo on EG. can't afford new fork right now and i've fitted a very low HS (Hope D, have pics somewhere) soo..

what's lower cup with tallest stack height i can fit to my frame please?

is it this:
    Cane Creek Cycling Components :: Components :: Headsets

must take a straight steerer 1-1/8 fork too!

ideally compatible with Hope (stainless) bearings..

cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    think the king was like 15mm? had fsa that was big too

mtbr member
    May 2008
    well a King is out due to price, FSA i'll look into. Smoothie Mixer i'd prefer not. the CC 40 seems good balance of price/quality? thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    just came across this one on offer at CRC

Nukeproof Warhead 49IESS Headset 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

claims to have a 20mm height lower cup - looks ideal! any reason that wouldn't work? (lower cup only i mean, i already have an upper that's ok).

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ordered the CC40, will report back on stack height when fitted. also need to buy a new cup removal tool, or modify mine.

noticed Acros do one a bit taller than CC, but i couldn't find anywhere to buy it in UK.
    NP have some bad reviews.

btw, Hope supposedly do a high stack EC49/30 but i can't find anywhere that sells that either?

the lower stack D I have is approx 5mm, will keep it in case i ever get a longer fork and want to keep the position.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    fitted the CC40, increased height by about 7mm (lost two spacers) as expected. need to do more riding to really know what that's done to steering. like the bigger bearing. crown race was a bit tight..

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Just got an elGuapo myself and 1 1/8 revelations, may i ask where u bought that cane creek reducer cup from, can't find one in the UK? looks like a good alternative to on-ones smoothie mixer. You have a pic of it installed? cheers

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Cane Creek 40 Individual Headset Cups - Tweeks Cycles

one of my favourite shops! just mess around with the menus until it says EC49/30 and price is 31.49, next day delivery in uk almost certain. cheers.

sorry haven't taken pic since installing.
    tbh, i'm not sure i like the handling more or less than with the Hope..

edit: choose 1.5inch for Size, threadless, then 1.18 steerer, check code at top before adding to basket!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    cheers,

mtbr member
    May 2008
    just realised you may want complete headset, not sure how to get that sorry! can use any top cup basically, any 44mm i think. I have kept the Hope which is #2 from the picNmix, about 25.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Smiff, how have you got on with the CC40 headset cups ?. I was thinking on using a 150mm RS revelation and will hopefully be ordering a Med El Guapo in the next month or two. And was planning on using the on-one smoothie mixer headset as its one of the few which you can get in white (to match the frame), but unsure now.

Just a bit concerned about the BB height looking at the other thread.

Also did you have to get the headset & bb faced ? or everything fitted straight in.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    yeah CC40 is good i'll probably stick with it as long as i have this fork. only part you might need bike shop for is getting the crown on your fork, that was hard as documented on my stw thread..
    frame finishing on my EG was fine no need for any work there.

CC40 bearing not stainless so will see how it holds up to winter here.
    there are taller headsets like the Acros (15mm?) or Nukeproof (20mm i think), if you want max height! can't commend on either though. also have heard bad things about the smoothie which is why i avoided it. if you want colours, the top range CC have them, but are twice the price!

mtbr member
    It looks like I'll be going the EG way when the new ones are available in December.
    Was toying with the idea of the FTM but they only have green...not a fan of green. No more colours coming either :-(

I, too, will be running a 150mm fork (Float RLC tapered) so will be interested to hear how you get on with the headset/fork combination as I'll be looking to raise the front end a little...

Be interested to see some pics/build details/weights etc of your build Mr Smiff

edit: just been looking into headsets and think this will fit fine

Lower: Hope Pick n Mix Headsets - Bottom Cup | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com (Item F)

Upper: Hope Pick n Mix Headsets - Bottom Cup | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com (Item 2)

I've got these on my 456Carbon and the lower cup is approx 13mm deep (outside frame) and the crown race is easy to fit as it's split

Useful link: http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modul...ETS2011Web.pdf
    Last edited by deesta; 09-21-2012 at 03:27 AM.

mtbr member
    With all the issues of low bottom brackets why would you guys run an even lower fork than what the bike is built for?

I use a fork that is "too tall" for the frame and I still have pedal smack issues. Why not hold off, and find a deal on a decent 160-170mm fork? Your not going to like the bike with the lower fork and with all this headset swapping you've wasted money that could have been spent on a "proper" fork.

These are all of course my opinions and I do not mean to piss anyone off or come off like I'm telling you how to build your bike.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    With all the issues of low bottom brackets why would you guys run an even lower fork than what the bike is built for?

I use a fork that is "too tall" for the frame and I still have pedal smack issues. Why not hold off, and find a deal on a decent 160-170mm fork? Your not going to like the bike with the lower fork and with all this headset swapping you've wasted money that could have been spent on a "proper" fork.

These are all of course my opinions and I do not mean to piss anyone off or come off like I'm telling you how to build your bike.
    I'm not put off by low BB but just want to raise the front end a little to suit my riding position. My normal riding spots are fairly open tracks where pedal strikes will not be an issue. According to the website, the bike is designed for a 150/160mm fork so we are not using a fork that the frame isn't designed for. Also, I'm not going to be swapping headsets and wasting money, I'll be buying the one to suit the frame and my budget when I get the frame (although I won't even need to buy one as my current one will fit perfectly).
    Finally, how is a 150mm fork not a 'proper' fork?
    Steve

Dont Rep me
    I agree w/terrible.
    I'm running 170mm Lyrik and regret getting ZS lower cup, 12.75" is way too low for BB.
    Even if you ride wide open trails you hit your toe or pedal unless you stop pedaling through every turns.

on my 3rd wind...
    I think you will be fine as long as you know ahead of time that what bbh you are getting into that is 1" lower than other 6" rig. That 1" difference will be huge, good and bad, once you go out riding for the first time. Question is can you adjust well pedaling, 12.5" BBH, 6" travel bike that will most likely be ridden with 25-30% sag?
    sth

mtbr member
    Surely getting pedal strikes on corners is down to riding styles more than bike set-up? When I'm cornering my inside pedal is always high. I can understand it if you keep your feet flat or pedal through them but that's not my riding style..

on my 3rd wind...
    Sounds like you have similar riding style as me. Having said that so far 99% of my pedal strikes occurred during climbing, pedaling flats, and tech section.
    sth

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    If someone can find me a decent 160mm fork the same price as the 150mm RS revelation here in the UK, then for sure i would run the 160mm. I revelation is around 270 (about $400). For a 160mm fox your looking in the region of 500 plus ($750)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    agree with everything, just want to say, i'm not sure raising the front by 7mm (using lower cup) has made any appreciable difference to my pedal strikes, but i feel it does corner slightly less well on climbs. therefore, i'm not sure a 160mm fork is going to help much with the strikes either. (even assuming fork really is another 10mm higher A2C).

you are also slackening the front end on a bike that's already quite slack (for me) and thus affecting steering.

only possible solutions i can see here if you do want to increase bb height w/o slackening further are
    1) using an angleset in reverse
    2) using shock offset bushes in reverse (tricky to get this to work?). **

** this may be the best solution, if it works!

what does help strikes in a significant way i've found is using the remote lockout on fork (and even better on shock if you have it, the Monarch does not have it).

and of course 3) crank length 4) pedal thickness, both in a minor way.

still hoping to hear from brant & co if there is a problem with our frames, are they lower than designed?
    Last edited by Smiff; 09-21-2012 at 03:49 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    further to what i was saying above, by my math the EG has a leverage ratio of 2.46 (surprisingly, close to my old Top Fuel!), so using 2 x 2mm offset bushes in reverse raises your back end by nearly 10mm (?). more effective, as it's nearer to BB, than raising the front by 10, anyway..
    a longer shock is another option, if one exists!
    i make it about 6mm between seatstays and seattube, so you might (?) get away with 4mm more shock, not sure!

btw deesta i can't see cup F on the CRC page, am i going mad?
    Last edited by Smiff; 09-22-2012 at 04:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Plenty of 8.75 x 2.5 shocks

You went with a 150 fork and you already knocked out the headset...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJ View Post
    Plenty of 8.75 x 2.5 shocks
    yeah, there are 8.75" shocks available.

but i doubt it'd fit. just as an experiment, i tried fitting an old 8.75x2.75" vanilla rc in my original model EG frame, and the end of the shock would hit the seat-tube.

i don't think the geo of the rear end (ie. the relationship between the seat tube, stays, rocker, and shock) has changed since the original EG at all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Something has changed

Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2 View Post
    yeah, there are 8.75" shocks available.

but i doubt it'd fit. just as an experiment, i tried fitting an old 8.75x2.75" vanilla rc in my original model EG frame, and the end of the shock would hit the seat-tube.

i don't think the geo of the rear end (ie. the relationship between the seat tube, stays, rocker, and shock) has changed since the original EG at all.
    Did you try the offset bushings?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast