mtbr member
    Dec 2007

TALAS Setup Questions - xpost from Shocks...

Hey guys, hope you don't mind the xpost from Shocks, not getting any love there...

I have a Titus Motolite with a Fox RP23 rear and a 2009 TALAS RLC 100-140 fork. I have a couple of questions about setting sag on the fork.

1st, I set the sag to 25% with the fork in the 140 position and both rebound and compression damping at about halfway. This matched up with the 25% sag I have the rear shock set to.

On my first test ride, it just felt way too wallowy up front. I bumped up air pressure and measured sag. One thing I noticed is I seem to get more sag in the fork by standing, whereas standing doesn't seem to affect the rear sag much at all. I mean, it did a tiny little bit, so I bumped up the rear air pressure just a little bit, and like the feeling better, but it wasn't a huge change.

However, even with the increase in pressure to bring the fork to 25% sag while standing, I still felt like the fork was just too wallowy. I bumped it up to the point where at 140, I'm only getting about an inch of sag, or around 18% sag. This feels pretty good, and riding, in 120, I'm still using a good bit of the fork travel. Haven't bottomed it, but pretty close (3/4 of an inch or so left).

Should the fork sag be set with both rebound and compression damping about halfway? Or should either, or both, be all the way "off"?

Should I be setting the sag in the 120 position, if I'm riding there most often? If the sag is set with the fork in 140, will the percent stay the same across all three positions?

How important is it that the sag % be the same for both front and rear?

How vulnerable is the sag setting, while stationary, to stiction? The fork seems to move little at first, then lots, as opposed to the shock, which is very smooth. Will this stiction, if that's what's causing this, wear away, or break in?

Lots of questions here, and I know I can answer some of them myself by continuing to play with the pump, but I figured I'd get some help here as well.

Regards,
    David B.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidbeinct
    Hey guys, hope you don't mind the xpost from Shocks, not getting any love there...

I have a Titus Motolite with a Fox RP23 rear and a 2009 TALAS RLC 100-140 fork. I have a couple of questions about setting sag on the fork.

1st, I set the sag to 25% with the fork in the 140 position and both rebound and compression damping at about halfway. This matched up with the 25% sag I have the rear shock set to.

On my first test ride, it just felt way too wallowy up front. I bumped up air pressure and measured sag. One thing I noticed is I seem to get more sag in the fork by standing, whereas standing doesn't seem to affect the rear sag much at all. I mean, it did a tiny little bit, so I bumped up the rear air pressure just a little bit, and like the feeling better, but it wasn't a huge change.

However, even with the increase in pressure to bring the fork to 25% sag while standing, I still felt like the fork was just too wallowy. I bumped it up to the point where at 140, I'm only getting about an inch of sag, or around 18% sag. This feels pretty good, and riding, in 120, I'm still using a good bit of the fork travel. Haven't bottomed it, but pretty close (3/4 of an inch or so left).

Should the fork sag be set with both rebound and compression damping about halfway? Or should either, or both, be all the way "off"?

Should I be setting the sag in the 120 position, if I'm riding there most often? If the sag is set with the fork in 140, will the percent stay the same across all three positions?

How important is it that the sag % be the same for both front and rear?

How vulnerable is the sag setting, while stationary, to stiction? The fork seems to move little at first, then lots, as opposed to the shock, which is very smooth. Will this stiction, if that's what's causing this, wear away, or break in?

Lots of questions here, and I know I can answer some of them myself by continuing to play with the pump, but I figured I'd get some help here as well.

Regards,
    David B.
    1. For the fork, set sag in the attack position (standing up). For the shock, set the sag while sitting.

2. Sag is effected by stiction. I would ride around a bit and compresses the suspension, come to rest and then measure sag.

3. Set sag with compression set to the minimum and with the pro-pedal off.

4. Fox recommends setting sag in the 140mm position and I would start with that. The sag should remain the same when you switch to the 120mm position. If not, I and you really just run in the 120 position most of the time, I would just set sag in the 120mm position.

5. I like the the feel of the bike to be pretty even. When you push down on the peddle while standing next to the bike, you want the bike to evenly compresses.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidbeinct

However, even with the increase in pressure to bring the fork to 25% sag while standing, it still felt like the fork was just too wallowy. I bumped it up to the point where at 140, I'm only getting about an inch of sag, or around 18% sag. This feels pretty good, and riding, in 120, I'm still using a good bit of the fork travel. Haven't bottomed it, but pretty close (3/4 of an inch or so left).

...How vulnerable is the sag setting, while stationary, to stiction? The fork seems to move little at first, then lots, as opposed to the shock, which is very smooth. Will this stiction, if that's what's causing this, wear away, or break in?

I have the same issues when running the 32 Talas (04 and 08). 25%-30% always felt too wallowy especially on the mid stroke. From experience, whether running with less or more sag, the 32Talas I had have never bottomed out. Have read the same comments in other places as well. Yes I usually get about 3/4 of an inch left even when getting up to 30% sag on the fork.

Initial stroke is still stiff for me even after the break in period of the fork. Like Vespasianus said in his last point "I like the the feel of the bike to be pretty even. When you push down on the peddle while standing next to the bike, you want the bike to evenly compresses."

Solved that up front so that the fork "will talk to the rear shock" with a simple home made grease ring out of smoking-pipe cleaners lathered with a bit of grease for the stanchion.

Instead of lubing them before or after every ride (due to the type of climate, bike is hosed down after each ride which makes the stans bone dry). http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3618/...6cd070f3bf.jpg

What it does is effectively reduces the sudden change of a stiff initial stroke to the smoother (wallowy if low pressure) mid stroke of the fork.

Old bike settings
    Small ML II
    RP2 @ ~27% sag
    08 TALAS32 between 15-20mm sag.
    Rebound 10-11 clicks towards the fastest (middle position is way too low for the kind of riding I do and packs up the fork too much. Only down a couple of clicks on very wet rainy days over slick rocky sections)
    Compression - middle position (4 clicks out of 8)
    rider Weight ~160lb
    Usual travel when riding- 120mm position.

Works well riding in a more forward riding position

Oh one other thing I feel that affects the way suspension feels is tire volume and pressure.
    Usually run high volume rubbers (min 2.3s varying between 18-25 psi)

Hope it helps