Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    124

    Talas 32 RLC 07 V 08

    I have ordered a 07 Talas for my moto II as my lbs is unaible to get the 08. he has given me the 07 at a good price, but I could find the 08 at another shop if i wanted to. I would rather support my lbs but if the 08 is much much better i will buy elsewhere. thoughts appreciated

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,260
    The low speed compression adjustment ring drives me nuts on my 07. I use the lockout often, and the LSC ring always turns when I do. The improvement Fox made to the tab for lockout and the post mount might be enough for me to switch. I would get the 08. I think it's lighter and there are some other bits they improved.

  3. #3
    Veni Vidi Vici
    Reputation: barelylegal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    995
    07 talas is really good, and I am lovin it so much... but the 08 looks really promising and with more improvements... I would go for an 08

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    I have read that for 08 RLC air Float / Talas they refined the compression damping so it 'assists' the air spring with compression. The result is the air pressure can be reduced by 10 or 15 psi making the fork smoother. What I cannot come to terms with... is by tuning the compression damping to work harder, does it make the damping for the worse ?~?

  5. #5
    thats right living legend
    Reputation: blackagness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,378
    Your already supporting your LBS. get the 08!

    Let some body else worry about the LBS this time... Those things are expensive! Your gonna be on this sucker for a while, and you'll only be thinking what if? when ever any little thing comes up.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    wait for the 09

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    124
    so if i can't get the 08 or its a lot more expensive, would I still be happy with the 07. another benefit with my lbs is that he lets me pay kit over a few months(interest free!). Any ideas on the price of the 08. The 07 is going to cost about me about $550.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    Quote Originally Posted by dareverend
    so if i can't get the 08 or its a lot more expensive, would I still be happy with the 07. another benefit with my lbs is that he lets me pay kit over a few months(interest free!). Any ideas on the price of the 08. The 07 is going to cost about me about $550.
    I know you can get an 08 32 Talas RLC for $616.

    I have not heard any feedback from 08 32 RLC models.

    Seems there are many happy 07 owners... but there were significant changes to 08... and 07 was working great... so that means the 08 changes may be well worthwhile.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    628

    spill the beans, bro...

    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    I know you can get an 08 32 Talas RLC for $616.

    I have not heard any feedback from 08 32 RLC models.

    Seems there are many happy 07 owners... but there were significant changes to 08... and 07 was working great... so that means the 08 changes may be well worthwhile.
    where's the $616 '08 TALAS RLC?

  10. #10
    Veni Vidi Vici
    Reputation: barelylegal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    995
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    wait for the 09

  11. #11
    the 36 year old grom
    Reputation: demo_slug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,726
    the 07 is going to work fine. but..... the 08 will stay minty fresh longer.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    628

    Menat to quote this too...

    Quote Originally Posted by orthorex
    The low speed compression adjustment ring drives me nuts on my 07. I use the lockout often, and the LSC ring always turns when I do. The improvement Fox made to the tab for lockout and the post mount might be enough for me to switch. I would get the 08. I think it's lighter and there are some other bits they improved.
    I agree w/Ortho here. I've taken adujstments on the right leg apart hoping it would fix the binding of the compression and lockout. seemed to work for a little while, then problem resurfaced. bummer.

    when i get back to riding, i'm thinkin that i'll leave the lockout blow-off set as low as possible and leave the lockout on and see how that rides. i know i'll loose all that buttery lovin', but it might be worth a try...


    later,
    simp

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    124
    will have a snoop for a 08 when the moto arrives. if i can't find one of here I may have to resort to a 07. thanks for the help. always a pleasure.

  14. #14
    Off the back...
    Reputation: pinkrobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,957
    I got in on the '07 clearout of the TALAS from www.fullcycles.com for $525, but they screwed up and sent me the '08 instead! I was going to return it and ask for an '07, but then again... naaaah!!!! I have officially used up all my bike part karma for at least 6 months.

  15. #15
    sugoi chairinko
    Reputation: blurredboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    120

    One word of caution

    I just picked up an '08, and I am dying to try it out, but I'm struggling to find a post- mount caliper for it. Or at least one for a reasonable price. My 960 XTR calipers are IS, but the new Foxes are all 74mm post mount. It is a better way to mount the caliper, IMO, but I'd rather be riding than looking for a caliper on ebay.

    Bottom line, great fork, but check into your mounting situation first.

  16. #16
    the 36 year old grom
    Reputation: demo_slug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,726
    Quote Originally Posted by blurredboy
    I just picked up an '08, and I am dying to try it out, but I'm struggling to find a post- mount caliper for it. Or at least one for a reasonable price. My 960 XTR calipers are IS, but the new Foxes are all 74mm post mount. It is a better way to mount the caliper, IMO, but I'd rather be riding than looking for a caliper on ebay.

    Bottom line, great fork, but check into your mounting situation first.
    maybe you can go to a larger front rotor with an adapter.

  17. #17
    sugoi chairinko
    Reputation: blurredboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    120
    Actually, you can use an adapter. Shimano makes one for use with a 170mm rotor. But by the time you get the rotor (which isn't the easiest to find), and the adapter, it's nearly as cheap just to get a new caliper. Plus, then it's new. The whole adapter/ rotor thing just seems, I don't know, not as clean & sano as a new caliper. Guess I'm sorta anal that way.

  18. #18
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,741
    Quote Originally Posted by dareverend
    I have ordered a 07 Talas for my moto II as my lbs is unaible to get the 08. he has given me the 07 at a good price, but I could find the 08 at another shop if i wanted to. I would rather support my lbs but if the 08 is much much better i will buy elsewhere. thoughts appreciated
    That '07 is pure crap... put it in a box and send it down to Mexico. I'll dispose it properly.

    Get the '08 for yourself.


    Seriously, other than the brake compatibility, I don't see much improvement but gossip is that '08s have refined dampers as well as the shocks do. How much? I dunno. Quantifiable? I don't know either.

    Tough call...
    Check my Site

  19. #19
    the 36 year old grom
    Reputation: demo_slug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,726
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    That '07 is pure crap... put it in a box and send it down to Mexico. I'll dispose it properly.

    Get the '08 for yourself.


    Seriously, other than the brake compatibility, I don't see much improvement but gossip is that '08s have refined dampers as well as the shocks do. How much? I dunno. Quantifiable? I don't know either.

    Tough call...
    dude the new brake hose clamp is sick!!!! well worth the price of the upgrade and I like the new color better.

    but yeah there was an article that I posted a link too, where the fox guy said that they had firmer compression damping this year to allow lower spring rates.

  20. #20
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,741
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    but yeah there was an article that I posted a link too, where the fox guy said that they had firmer compression damping this year to allow lower spring rates.
    Not dissing Fox but, weren't we complaining about overdamped stuff when the 5th and all things SPV came out??

    Yeah, I know the main complain was lack of low bump sensitivity (SPV valve needing much force to open), but there were people complaining about overdamped stuff and it causing a "dead" feeling.
    Check my Site

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    89
    The 07 was and still is a great fork. But honestly the 08 is quite a bit better from the 3 or 4 solid rides I have had on it so far. The 08 lockout dial is much nicer but the low speed rebound is what is really nice on the fork. The fork compresses and rebounds much more linear with a far smoother feel. It really feels unlike any other air fork I have ridden and is kinda hard to explain. I really did not like the feel too much as first as it almost feels unresponsive when you are tooling around in a parking lot, but on the trail it feels great. The best way I can really describe it is that on the 07 you can feel the fork working as a suspension while on the 08 it just works and works better at that. The 08 makes no need to remind you that a fork is there. Fox did well

    O yea and the new color looks great

  22. #22
    Knolliac
    Reputation: EastBay_Slim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    410
    I got in on the '07 clearout of the TALAS from www.fullcycles.com for $525, but they screwed up and sent me the '08 instead! I was going to return it and ask for an '07, but then again... naaaah!!!! I have officially used up all my bike part karma for at least 6 months.
    They made the same error with my order as well. :

  23. #23
    the 36 year old grom
    Reputation: demo_slug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,726
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Not dissing Fox but, weren't we complaining about overdamped stuff when the 5th and all things SPV came out??

    Yeah, I know the main complain was lack of low bump sensitivity (SPV valve needing much force to open), but there were people complaining about overdamped stuff and it causing a "dead" feeling.

    its a blancing act. too much and its "constipated" to little and it "doesn't ride high enough in its travel". there are also guys that will try to convince you that bikes have souls....I ride with people that hate using any rebound, and guys that use way too much... it takes all kinds.

    regardless if you think about it using a free body diagram. idealy the spring compresion force during the compresion cycle is no different then the force from compresion damping. the spring does store and return the energy while the Damping converts it to heat. praticaly they wont feel the same becuase of the implimentation. but if the implimentation is good then it should be great. not to mention you can design your damping to blow off, ie speed dependance and/or position dependence. but if not properly implimented you'll have conductance issues.

  24. #24
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,741
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    its a blancing act. too much and its "constipated" to little and it "doesn't ride high enough in its travel". there are also guys that will try to convince you that bikes have souls....I ride with people that hate using any rebound, and guys that use way too much... it takes all kinds.

    regardless if you think about it using a free body diagram. idealy the spring compresion force during the compresion cycle is no different then the force from compresion damping. the spring does store and return the energy while the Damping converts it to heat. praticaly they wont feel the same becuase of the implimentation. but if the implimentation is good then it should be great. not to mention you can design your damping to blow off, ie speed dependance and/or position dependence. but if not properly implimented you'll have conductance issues.
    Yeah, there's an amount of damping that will make or break the deal.

    If they did so, it's not a minor change... Less spring force affects the needed amount of damping needed for the later rebound phase, so the whole system has to be re-tuned. Interesting.

    I just hope they can pull out the stunt... So far, reviews say they did.
    Check my Site

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Yeah, there's an amount of damping that will make or break the deal.

    If they did so, it's not a minor change... Less spring force affects the needed amount of damping needed for the later rebound phase, so the whole system has to be re-tuned. Interesting.

    I just hope they can pull out the stunt... So far, reviews say they did.
    Fox Smox

    I forgot to bid on the Z1 Light on eurobay before I went to bed the other night

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •