Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Swop Sumo for El G...yeah or nay?

482 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  demo_slug 
#1 ·
Currently got a sumo 06/07 model, copper one with Fox 36 Talas, slx groupset, magura louise with carbon levers hope bulbs about 36lbs ish maybe a tad more and is my all day main bike. Great bike and I will admit overkill for my riding but it is just great, outstanding confidence inspiring descender climbs well, but the weight gets to me after 5 hrs or so...... so should I:
A) Lighten up the Sumo
B) Get an El G

:???:

#2 ·
Hicksville said:
Currently got a sumo 06/07 model, copper one with Fox 36 Talas, slx groupset, magura louise with carbon levers hope bulbs about 36lbs ish maybe a tad more and is my all day main bike. Great bike and I will admit overkill for my riding but it is just great, outstanding confidence inspiring descender climbs well, but the weight gets to me after 5 hrs or so...... so should I:
A) Lighten up the Sumo
B) Get an El G

I don't know how much you can lighten up the SuMo without picking stuff that is too light for the intended purpose. Maybe Mavic SX wheelset and probably not much more you can do. Maybe someone else with a SuMo has more info on this.

About the one bike, it depends on what you want to do. Probably an EG could be best (maybe you can transfer most of what you have to keep the cost down.

#3 · (Edited)
Hicksville said:
A) Lighten up the Sumo
B) Get an El G

My 06 SuMo is 34 pounds. I could get it close to 32.5 by going with XTR cranks, dropping the blackspire stinger and getting some uber light UST wheelset with lighter tires.

The difference in frame weight between the SuMo and the El G is not that great. My frame with a Fox Float is 8 pounds...the El G is what? 7.4 pounds? Not much of a difference.

They will ride differently though.

#5 ·
Hicksville said:
geolover....what is the difference in the ride?
disclaimer: I have never ridden an El Guapo.

In stock form, the SuMo has a taller BB. The SuMo has shorter chainstays. Since I have never ridden an El G, this is nothing more than e-riding, but I would guess the El G would climb better (because of longer stays). The El G probably feels like a better pedaling bike because it has less travel. The El G may feel lower too, well, because it is lower.

I like the short chainstays and my modified SuMo is actually lower than the El G. The SuMo has many different configurations and IMO is the better bike (for me). YMMV.

#6 ·
I dig the copper SuMo's, as for the difference in weight? Like Geo said it's minimal, it may seem like a lot, but your bike's weight is quite low for what it's capable of...........I'm afraid to say that if you wanted a drastically lighter bike you might have to drop down into the trail bike range like the FTM, which is a pretty cool whip if you ask me..........IMO I'd stick to your trusty SuMo, they're classics for a reason!

#7 ·
Hicksville said:
geolover....what is the difference in the ride?
I own both frames. they 100% different.
1.the SuMo is short and tall. the guapo is low and long.
2.the SuMo is about the plushest well behaved 7 inches of travel there is. the guapo isn't.
3. the rear end on the SuMo is flexier then the Guapo. the SuMo always had a hint of side to side on big hits. not much but, it is there. On the guapo, its below the limit that I can notice (as long as you use the lower shock hole.)
4. SuMo will make you wheelie like a pro. Guapo takes some skill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.