mtbr member

Switchblade shock options?

I've got a 02 SW that I want to convert to the long travel. I was wondering my my rear shock options are? Thanks. DC
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving ~ Albert Einstein

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by muddydc
    I've got a 02 SW that I want to convert to the long travel. I was wondering my my shock options are? Thanks. DC

Stay with Fox. If you don't have to switch to a longer shock, then just send it to Push.

If you have to switch the shock for a different lenght one, then stay with a Fox Float. The Pro-Pedal lever is hard to reach on a Blade, so if you don't care giving up some tuneability, go with the Float. If you want to have the chance to change settings (not on the fly, though) go for the RP3.

I've had a 5th Air and a Fox Float on my 5" rockers '04 Blade.

5th Air
    The Good: Big Hit performance and pedalling proficiency, adjustability
    The Bad: Small bump sensitivity. The spherical eyelets make the rear end to feel a bit flexier.
    The UGLY: They last as long as sex between chickens. Rebuild is 120 from Progressive and they're going off the bike biz. You can't give it maintenance at all.

Fox Float '05
    The Good: Small bump sensitivity, durable, tough, well rounded shock, plush as air pillows, solid spacers make the rear end stiff as a rail. Seviceable and Upgradeable by Push
    The Bad: Big Hit performance... just feels rough on big stuff and landings. Not very refined damping and no compression damping at all. If you break the platform (which is easy), you can go all the way down the travel quick. It ramps up nicely to the end of the travel, though making it hard to bottom, though.
    The UGLY:... nothing I can think of.
    Check my Site

mtbr member

Coil Shock?

Is there any coil shock you could fit on the Switchblade long travel set up?
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving ~ Albert Einstein

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by muddydc
    Is there any coil shock you could fit on the Switchblade long travel set up?
    Straight from the Master Chris Cocalis himself when I asked the same (I love coils).

"2.- I have the 5" rockers with a 5th Element Air. Can this rockers accommodate a coil shock?

No! The rate and rocker design on an 04 Switchblade cannot accept a coil shock. It would work horribly and could potentially damage the frame. If you want a plusher ride, I would purchase a Fox Float R or RP3 from PUSH industries. It would make a big improvement over the 5th and give you something much closer to the coil over fell that you are looking for."

So, there you go... Listen to the Master!
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Warp, Thanks. I'll take Chris's expertise. Dave

ಠ_ಠ
    One thing, according the guys at Push, the Rp3 has better small bump compliance vis a vis the Float R; this whether it's Push'd or not.

Tonight we ride.
    The few people that have tried a coil on older Blades have all liked their results.

Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    The Pro-Pedal lever is hard to reach on a Blade
    It's easy to reach on an '02 where the shock is upside down with long travel rockers.