CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Switchblade Rocker & Bushing ???

Hey All-
    I'm trying to breath new life into my old switchblade and need some help. It's was an 04/05 with the Talas shock and rocker and I want to convert it to take a 7.875 x 2" shock. I ordered some rockers through Titus and they look different than what I remember (stock rockers from this time were annodized grey and were not releaved for a shock valve) but they may have updated that, don't know. The assured me they were the right ones and that my hardware would transfer over. Anyway I ordered a new shock and bushing through push and there is a 1.5mm-2mm gap between the bottom reducer and rocker plates and I needed to switch to a .5" longer bolt to account for the extra thickness.

Question: Are these the right rockers? An what is the correct size for reducers? Fox and push have them as 213-29-021-D and 213-26-005-F

Also the new rockers do not have the cross brace like the old Talas rockers, Does this matter?
    Thanks for all help. Pics follow
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tomac 98Special in Classifieds

"El Whatever"
    Sorry to be the arse to tell you, but these are for Pre-Talas frames. The reason they have the valve provision and they stick out it's that former generation SB's used the two mounting holes on the frame one in front of each other... so using the air canister towards the frame was a no go, so they used the canister in between the rockers.

The 7.875" X 2" rockers are like light gray ano and have the truss as well. They're so hard to tell apart from the TALAS ones that only the anodizing and comparing them right next to each other is the answer.

I'd try to fit the 7.875"X 2" with your TALAS rockers and see how it feels. The mid travel TALAS setting was in the end 7.875 or 7.75 X 2 or 1.75"... so the overall length of the shock MAY not be too much. try it out. Use the lower mounting hole on the frame and the most forward ones on the dogbone of the frame.

Here's a 5" rocker for TALAS frame... try mounting the shock in this way with your rockers.

The good news?? you could probably fit a coil over in there now... I had to push the rockers apart with washers to make a Romic to fit... and the Romic is FAT!!

Check my Site

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    but these are for Pre-Talas frames.
    Thank Warp,
    That's what i thought. I had a pic of these rockers on the older/short travel switchblade frame, the one with a horizontal shock mount, and just want to make sure these were incorrect. The good folks at Titus will get sorted. I was trying to varrify it as all the parts came in on a Friday and didn't look right when I put them together over the the weekend while they were closed.

On a side note, there really is no more clearance between these rockers and the talas rockers. With the air can in the down position it would not clear RS high volume can, which is smaller in outside diameter than Fox's HV can. I could run the 7.875x2 shock with the talas rocker but that would shorten the travel and slacken the geometry. While I'm ok with a slacker geometry I do not want to reduce the travel.
    Tomac 98Special in Classifieds

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    fyi, BETD makes some great "reducer" hardware replacements. Two-piece solid-thru stainless steel based. Nice stuff. Suggested.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by CAO
    I could run the 7.875x2 shock with the talas rocker but that would shorten the travel and slacken the geometry. While I'm ok with a slacker geometry I do not want to reduce the travel.
    Technology to your aid... there are 7.875" X 2.25" shocks nowadays... It'll make up for the lost travel.
    Check my Site

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I have a marz roco coil and a roco air in that size for use on my Quasi and they work fabulous.

The roco air is quite the plush shock, worked fan-freaking-tabulous out at Arizona Spring Fling the other weekend, some serious chunky-rock riding.