mtbr member

Super D "Disappointment"

Signed up for the Sierra Cup Super D at the Peavine Challenge. I ride these trails all the time in the spring and fall and I am pretty quick on them. I decided to dump the tubeless Michelins and mount up some 2.5 Maxxis DHF's (with tubes)instead. About 2/3 the way down the 5 mile, 1700 ft drop course the front started feeling squirmy, sure enough a pinch flat. I guess I would have been quicker on my smaller Michelins! :-) Winning time in Cat 2 was 18:37, I was at about 14 minutes when I flatted and only had about a mile to go. Here is a quick edit, if you dont like foul language, cover your ears at the end!

mtbr member
    Wow, pinch flat with 2.5's? You must have hit something hard?
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    You can see the dirt is loose over hardpack, its like marbles in places. I was running about 24 psi in a Maxxis DHF 2.5 EXO single ply with a standard 1.9-2.3" tube. I'm not sure what I hit, I dont remember anything obvious but the tube had a snakebite. In retrospect, maybe I shouldnt have run a smaller tube? Funny thing is I have two Kenda 2.4-2.7 FR tubes sitting on my bench for my upcoming whistler trip!

mtbr member
    Don't feel bad, I blew up a rear tire a few weeks ago in an xc race. I run stans flows and had 2.2 NN tires on. Gashed it so bad it's trash now. I bought another rim but was able to save this one for a while.

Some times it seems like the small stuff bites the hardest.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Bad luck... and only 1 mile to go???

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    super bad luck - looked like such a fun run until then though.

while I love the bump-n-grind trails, the fast flow now and then is just a hoot.

U $ 4 O?
    Those 2.5 exo are different than the rubber on older folding dhf. I just put on my last 2.35 dhf expro or whatever the rubber's called, expro does a much better job resisting pinchflats wish I had more

Tried the 2.35 Nevegal couple weeks ago and lost two tubes quick.. that smaller 2.35 pure crap

mtbr member
    Just the right timing to read this...

Am supposed to switch to a pr of new 2.5 dhf exo for this weekend ride in some bikepark.
    Hmm will note and see how different they are to the old ones...

U $ 4 O?
    Well I remember why I threw those old 2.35 dhf on the shelf now.. tube poking through sidewalls.. quickly developed 1/2" tears with couple rides.

Great low weight and traction for hot summer but throwing away good tread sux....2.5 exo going back on

mtbr member
    sh1t, I feel with you!

Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    some 2.5 Maxxis DHF's (with tubes)
    why didn't you mounted them tubeless? I've never had any problems mounting Maxxis tyres tubeless (with milk) and I currently run Minion Fr 2,5 super tacky Exo in front and Advantage 2,4 Exo as rear tyre with 18psi front and 20 psi rear without any problems since couple of month.

mtbr member

Your lucky

Quote Originally Posted by osti View Post
    sh1t, I feel with you!

why didn't you mounted them tubeless? I've never had any problems mounting Maxxis tyres tubeless (with milk) and I currently run Minion Fr 2,5 super tacky Exo in front and Advantage 2,4 Exo as rear tyre with 18psi front and 20 psi rear without any problems since couple of month.
    I had two Ardents and one Advantage blow off the rim at speed (20+mph) last season, one I saw my life flash in front of me when it came off the front wheel in a rock garden. No more tubeless Maxxis for me thank you. I have another Super D this weekend, I think I'm going with the Michlelins.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    You guys with your low tire pressures are crazy!

I'm 35+ psi. when it comes to racing on anything but a REAL DH tire.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member

Not me!

Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    You guys with your low tire pressures are crazy!

I'm 35+ psi. when it comes to racing on anything but a REAL DH tire.
    My rims would look like the surface of the moon. I will go 24-28 in the front, usually 28 with tubeless converted tire. I always run at least 32-35 in the rear.

mtbr member
    Bummer. Tough luck flatting like that.

Tubeless is no guarantee either. I got a sidewall cut down near the bead at last year's FTB Enduro that wouldn't seal (I may have been low on sealant) and had to ride the last mile on a gradually flattening front tire. The last quarter mile or so it was totally flat.

This year at the Wasatch Enduro I burped about half the air out of my rear tire hitting a diagonal log/water bar about 200 yards into the first timed section. The tire stayed up but it was mighty squirrelly the rest of the way down.

Still.... overall I trust tubeless way more for racing.