mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Stuck bolt in rear chainstay Titus ml

Taking apart my 09 ml for some tlc and because the chainstay attachment doesnt seem fluid. Where the stay attaches to the frame there is a long bolt. It comes about 1/2 way out and then just spins. Actually more like a clunking as I turned the bolt it will go back in fine but if I try to back it out again it hits a certain point and won't come further.

My first time trying to remove so who knows. I plan on calling Titus tomorrow but figured I would give this a shot first. Hopefully fixable because I still have a place for the ml.

Best,

Patrick

mtbr member
    Thats the main pivot pin... you probably just hit the point where the thing is caught at the washer between bearings... either pull up as u wind the bolt out or give it a little tap with blunt punch and a mallet (from the other end where it is being unwinded from). sometime a little wiggling of the 2 triangle will help to dislodge...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have had the same problem with all of my m/l's (ti & alum), ftm's (carbon & alum) and racer x's. I use a wooden dowel that is just alittle bit smaller than the thru pivot bolt. Just tap gently and it will come. Sometimes the bearing comes out with the bolt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I ended up using a bolt about the same size and tapped it out. Now I just need to get the bearings out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Rent a blind puller from the auto store. Should be free. Tension up the bearing tap, don't use the puller/hammer bar. Use a punch to tap it out from the opposite side. Brace the frame on some 2x4 pieces to provide a soft backing for the frame and the height clearance needed to get the bearing out.