Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Stripped my Racer X to sell.... but.....

.... I'm having second thoughts. The story is, I built this bike at the end of the 2003 Fall MTB series in Austin Texas. I raced the bike for one spring series then took a hiatus from racing. I brought the bike back to race one more time in 2008, then had a new Racer X 29er built up. I've always thought my Racer X 26er was the best handling bike ever made, but got caught up in going all 29er (I now have three 29ers), but to this day I still believe the RX 26er was the best. As I stripped this frame this weekend I realized how little use this bike has had, and thought why not throw a new RP23 and Fox F80 on it and take it racing again.

I'm really thinking this bike should stay, some thoughts about selling are my dislike of how things with Titus has transpired over the years, and if I do break it can I get parts? My frame has new bearings and is in good shape, so I don't reckon it'll break any time soon.

So forum... keep, spend some money on it and race it again? Or let Ebay decide her fate.

I should share one more detail, I upgraded to longer travel bikes and 29ers because racing Texas was on more technical and bumpy trails than Australia, now most tracks are quite smooth, and a quick steering RX w/ 3 inches of travel fits the bill nicely.

Here she is the day I got her:

And her she is today......

Draft College Republicans

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Only thing I'd say is I have seen a bunch of people regret selling a Titus but nobody regret holding on to one. If you NEED not sell, don't.

Separate question: if you think you'd really get good miles out of her on the race course then build her up. Maybe 1x10. It is a chunk of change to do that though.

U $ 4 O?
    OT, what saddle you got there?

Been looking for a saddle similar to the WTB Devo but not as wide in the back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJDOG View Post
    OT, what saddle you got there?

Been looking for a saddle similar to the WTB Devo but not as wide in the back.
    Selle Italia Flite SLR 135g

mtbr member
    I guess most folks who have sold their Racer X probably don't check back here often.. But has anyone sold theirs and regretted it?

mtbr member
    Well I don't own one but I'd keep it just because that kind of bike is getting hard to come buy. A nice light 26" race bike is good to have. If there isn't any signs of wear (cracks, dents) I'd polish it back up and slap some new parts on it.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I sold my 2003 Rx for a 2008 RX 29er I have never looked back, I like the 29er roll. The wife still rides her 2004 RX 26er and to this day I really do no think there is any better 26er for her, she has demoed plenty of bikes but still gravitates to the RX. The only possible upgrade would be carbon fiber because of the weight savings, the geo , the travel, just all work for her.

I have a lot of miles on my RX 29er and still like it. I could upgrade to a carbon Tallboy or a carbon Niner Jet 9 to save a pound but honestly It would not make me faster.

The RX's are just damn good frames, with a great efficient suspension.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    I sold my 2003 Rx for a 2008 RX 29er I have never looked back, I like the 29er roll. The wife still rides her 2004 RX 26er and to this day I really do no think there is any better 26er for her, she has demoed plenty of bikes but still gravitates to the RX. The only possible upgrade would be carbon fiber because of the weight savings, the geo , the travel, just all work for her.

I have a lot of miles on my RX 29er and still like it. I could upgrade to a carbon Tallboy or a carbon Niner Jet 9 to save a pound but honestly It would not make me faster.

The RX's are just damn good frames, with a great efficient suspension.
    You're just like me, I upgraded at the same time. I have NEVER looked back until now, as I try to offload the old frame. While I've liked my RX 29er, it's never had the same wow factor as the 26er did. Even the few rides I've done it over the years I was always happy to be back on it. For a marathon bike the RX 29er is the best option, but for short XC races I think I'd prefer my 26er.

Decisions.. decisions!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I bet you'd take it off some sweet jumps too. show the readers your 3 feet of sweet air.

mtbr member
    If the frame owes you nothing than hold onto it. Toss it in the corner some where and just let it sit till end of summer. If you're still happy you have it good, if not then sell it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Honestly, if your going to replace it with a XC 26er full suspension frame [ 80mm to 100mm] your wasting a lot of cash IMHO. If your looking for a HT or a trail bike, 120mm/140mm/160mm or a 29er, then so be it. Used RX frames sell for about 400.00, tough call.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    Honestly, if your going to replace it with a XC 26er full suspension frame [ 80mm to 100mm] your wasting a lot of cash IMHO. If your looking for a HT or a trail bike, 120mm/140mm/160mm or a 29er, then so be it. Used RX frames sell for about 400.00, tough call.
    I have a Racer X 29er, Ventana El Rey 29er, and a True Fab custom SS 29er... But I went that route living in Texas where the trails were much rougher. In Australia the trails are much smoother, so I'm thinking 80mm 26er might be more fun and effective. I also have 10 bikes right now, so I'm trying to thin the herd down to 2 MTB (1 geared / 1 SS), CX, Road, and commuter. That means getting ride of 5 bikes! Is the 26er RX my choice of MTB... certainly not for All Mountain riding , the Ventana gets the nod on that front. Really I'd be ditching my RX 29er to go back to my RX 26er.... still a hard decision to make.

mtbr member
    Similar situation. I just got an '10 5 Spot and was going to switch most of the components over and decomission the RX/HH100x because it had an all new drive train and the frame was getting old.

In the end I just couldn't do it. Partly because the new Turner deserved some new parts but also because I just couldn't bear to see the RX out of service.

Such a great bike. In the end, the only parts I borrowed from the RX were the seat and the brakes. I'll get it built back up and use it as a back up and a loaner bike for friends and family.

In the end it's worth way more to me than what I could get for it.
    Last edited by KRob; 07-12-2011 at 10:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Similar situation. I just got an '10 5 Spot and was going to switch most of the components over and decomission the RX/HH100x because it had a new drive train and was getting old.

In the end I just couldn't do it. Partly because the new Turner deserved some new parts but also because I just couldn't bear to see the RX out of service.

Such a great bike. In the end, the only parts I borrowed from the RX were the seat and the brakes. I'll get it built back up and use it as a back up and a loaner bike for friends and family.

In the end it's worth way more to me than what I could get for it.
    I'm glad you can relate. I don't think I can part ways with it. I actually think I'm going to send the fork and shock to PUSH, then build her up with some new wheels, brakes, and then go racing again. Don't get me wrong I love my 29ers, but for 2 hour XC races the Racer X is unbeatable.

Thanks for helping me see the light.

mtbr member
    Another one saved from ebay!

The Cheater
    Is there any particular advantage of the 26 that your new 29er can't provide? That's the real question isn't it?
    Titux X Carbon 2010 race 9.93kg
    Titux X 2009 "Deore 2012" training 11.55kg

Bike Addiction
    I've tried to sell mine twice to go with a longer travel bike. I'm glad it didn't sell now! I rode my 120 XC bike for a couple of months and went right back to the RX. Great bike for most situations on my trails and I manage the rough stuff pretty well on it too. One rocky downhill section still gives me the willies but I don't mind walking 20 yards too really enjoy the single track and blister the climbs.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    rearmirror, i feel your pain too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm going through the same thing. I recently purchased a Tallboy and now I'm in the process of building a ridged SS 29er. I stripped my Racer X down and started selling the parts but I am not sure i want to sell the frame. Honestly how much do you think you will get for it? A couple hundred dollars? Unless you really need that money I say keep it; you never know what the future may bring you and you might regret selling it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'd sell it. I went to a Racer X and sold my Felt HT....I only got a couple hundred bucks for the Felt and I was regretting it because I really liked the frame, but the reality is, unless the bike is built up, it's just gonna sit around unused anyways. There are enough used Racer X frames out there that you could get another one down the road.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Getting parts so far is easy and fast from on one. Just got a new seat stay for my racer x ti. But keeping a stable full of bikes....not so sure about that. It could be somebody's best bike ever instead of a guest bike. I have a old colnago like that it just hangs there. It was the best crit bike 30 years ago....I would probably sell it to someone who would appreciate it.
    Titus racer X ti

kmc
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

back to racer x for me...

My Racer X story...

Bought a Racer X in 2003 from Charles at Hammerhead. Loved the bike. Front triangle broke at the seat stay/top tube area in 2009. Ended up buying a Motolite to replace it.

Liked the Motolite well enough, but it just was not the same. I was used to the firm suspension and quick handling of the Racer X. I was constantly pushing the Motolite into corners the Racer X flew through.

I contacted the new Titus last week. They had a Large front triangle in stock so I decided to pick it up. Rode it last Sunday and loved it! Nothing against the Motolite, but is is not the same bike.

To each their own, but the Racer X is the perfect bike for me and my type of riding - xc stuff.

PS - Titus also told me they have rear ends on order from their vendor, so getting parts will be no problem.

Good luck with your decision...but I say keep it!

mtbr member
    I'm happy they are still getting parts for bikes from distributers. I'd hate to see guys with bikes less than 3 years old be out over a broken seat/chain stay or something small like a suspension linkage/rocker.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have had 3 racer x bikes over the years, and sold each of them to move to a lighter rigid frame set up. My first was a gray ano 2002, then a 2004. Both of these were 80 mm bikes. Later I owned a 100 mm hammerhead. The early bike was my favorite with pushed shock and fork, and I wish I had not sold it. The longer travel bike was not on my list of great bikes and was glad to see it find a new home. After a 3 year period of riding a rigid 29er I am once again looking at another Racer X frame. Unfortunately its a long travel frame so I am concerned it will end up like the hammerhead. Of all the bikes I have owned the racer x keeps popping back up on my screen and is one of those bikes you can really trust to deliver great performance. If Iget another I am going to do myself a favor and keep it this time.

SSOD
    I say keep it and ss it out with a paul or yess tensioner. Would make an awesome fs ss imo. The thing about fs ss is you can bomb through rough sections and carry all that momentum whereas with a ht or rigid your always looking for the best lines.

I ss'ed my ML in the 4" setting just for kicks and was amazed at how different of a ride it was compared to rigid and ht ss.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast