Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

stinky pinky, more pink or more stink?

I'm thinking about some new wheels for the EG this winter. The fork and rear shock went back to fox for warranty work and I feal sorry leaving her in the garage all winter. I've been using the stock wheelset from my spec enduro pro carbon since I built the eg back in september and I've been through alot of spokes in the year I've had these wheels. The hub on the back has been great (dt swiss for specialized) but the front was a gimme from a freind of mine 'cause I didn't have a 20mm front hub laying around.

Well I can't decide on a few things. The first being hub color (chris kings) I love my wifes pink hubs, but I'm not sure if I could pull more pink off. I've been eyeing the brown color hubs also. But those are really dark compared to the brown EG frame.

Also, rim color? Pretty sure I wanted to use a pair of stans arch rims but not set on either white or black. OR!!! Buy the black ones, bead-blast them then put a high polish on them.

Any ideas? Only things I'm set on are stans rims, king hubs (20mm front, fun bolt rear)

"I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

Dozer
    Silver King hubs, bead-blast the rims, black spokes. Always been a fan of classic silver, raw aluminuminumiumnm.

U $ 4 O?
    The frame blasted/polished would look amazing

U $ 4 O?
    whaa?

mtbr member
    No You Didnt!!!!!!!!!

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Chain

KMC 9SL Pink Lady chain.

I have one for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stinky pinky, more pink or more stink?-pink-chain.jpg  

mtbr member
    Bob, I'd shear those pretty little lightend links with my stilletto spd-compatable heals!

U $ 4 O?
    "No You Didnt!!!!!!!!!"

I bet it shoots pink lasers onto the trail. .ey speaking of chains, which 9 speed should I get?

almost wrecked my knee today
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stinky pinky, more pink or more stink?-ouch.png  

Last edited by Deerhill; 02-21-2011 at 11:06 PM.

mtbr member
    All my drivetrains are Shimanos..and for years used to go with just xt and an occasional xtr chain. Tried the KMC X9 for awhile -- similar to the shimano chains

But nowadays uses solely SRAM 971.. smoother shifting and less gunking up while riding as they are a wee bit thinner. But durability wise they last maybe ~80% of what the shim or kmc chains do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJDOG
    whaa?
    Hey! That's my fren's bike!

U $ 4 O?
    that's a lot of work
    Last edited by Deerhill; 02-22-2011 at 11:18 AM.

U $ 4 O?
    Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den
    Hey! That's my fren's bike!

That polish is amazing, did you get to see it before anodizing?
    Last edited by Deerhill; 02-21-2011 at 10:59 PM.

U $ 4 O?
    More work on the back, they put a high polish on almost everything.
    Last edited by Deerhill; 02-22-2011 at 11:27 AM.

mtbr member
    cute, very very cute.

So what was the process for getting the frame re-ano'd? I have a crack-n-dale I would like to have another color if I could get it done cheap'ish.

mtbr member
    Can read more about it here

Havent had chance to meet up, I only seen the bike from pics and realize it was done up by him. Havent got the chance to ask if it was a one-off custom job or was it stripped and redone. But based on the decal, its probably the latter... his other ti Racer-X was also done up nicely with "carbon" decals
    http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1366875_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Look quite alike my motolite frame colour. Except more pinkish for EG.

mtbr member
    Not a purple fan but these 2 are all really done up very nicely.
    The local distro has brought in quite a few custom colored one-off Titus bikes before that first shown around this forum but no purple ones (iirc I think it started with a batch of MLII. These might be one of them then. But didnt think they did that for the EG as it didnt show up here or anywhere...

U $ 4 O?
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible
    cute, very very cute.

So what was the process for getting the frame re-ano'd? I have a crack-n-dale I would like to have another color if I could get it done cheap'ish.

I bet it was the painted bike. Getting rid of the bead blasted finish on the ano bike would take off a lot of material

Dozer
    cute, very very cute.

Not sure about anodizing, but I had a frame industrially powder coated by a guy in Michigan who specializes in fixies (http://www.powdercoatstudio.com/), but happily did my old hardtail frame. He has hundreds of colors, and I got a nice flat white that has been VERY durable. Looks a LOT better than I expected, and I think it was about $130 shipped.

You might also consider checking with local powder coaters, but the guy I used takes care of all the thread chasing/masking/plugging/etc.

U $ 4 O?
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahdog31
    Not sure about anodizing, but I had a frame industrially powder coated by a guy in Michigan who specializes in fixies (http://www.powdercoatstudio.com/), but happily did my old hardtail frame. He has hundreds of colors, and I got a nice flat white that has been VERY durable. Looks a LOT better than I expected, and I think it was about $130 shipped.

You might also consider checking with local powder coaters, but the guy I used takes care of all the thread chasing/masking/plugging/etc.

Did you go flat/matte clear, or just satin base? Matte white

Dozer
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJDOG
    Did you go flat/matte clear, or just satin base? Matte white
    AFAIK he just used a matte base coat. I'll try to post some pictures when I get a chance.

mtbr member
    I swiped the wheels off o my wifes stumpy for a seond to see what a pink/white combo would look like on stinky. I must say it looks pretty good.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Miising Pink

Finish it off with these XO shifters. They clash with everything I am working on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stinky pinky, more pink or more stink?-img_4976.jpg  

mtbr member

Those bars seem really high.

I swiped the wheels off o my wifes stumpy for a seond to see what a pink/white combo would look like on stinky. I must say it looks pretty good.

Looks like lots of spacers, a fairly good rise on the stem and 1.5" rise bars? You should try removing half of those spacers and give it test ride, you might be surprised how much better it corners and climbs.

mtbr member
    Looks like lots of spacers, a fairly good rise on the stem and 1.5" rise bars? You should try removing half of those spacers and give it test ride, you might be surprised how much better it corners and climbs.
    Never said it needs more turning or better climbing? A bad back keeps me out of the race stance. I have a cannondale flash if I feal like going up hills quickly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast