Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2005

New question here. Stinking Tires...

Now the I have the I9's / 4.2d's on the way, I'd like to start from scratch with a tire setup.

I had Crossmax SL's for quite a while and now my options have opened up a bit.

My last set of Conti Vertical's were fair at best. Every Michelin I have ever had was junk.
    The last set I think I liked was the Ritchey Z-max, but that was long ago. I have yet to really dig any tire.

I would love to hear ya'lls favorite F/R combo. Condition specific or all around.

I have yet to try any Kenda and would like to giving all the positive feelings. It was a weight weenie thing, but I'm over it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Congratulations on being over a weight weenie.

I hope it didn't cost too much in therapy sessions.

However, you will never break the UGI addiction. Not possible with Cool-Aid splashing everywhere around these parts.

Try Sturdy's in the 2.1 flavour. They roll well, trust me . I prefer 2.25 version.... and I got into them due to a XC endurance person here who is a nutter about them (the 2.1's). And, the 1003 posts Eddie made around mtbr perporting they were some kind of good tyre.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    GEAX. Hmmmm. Never even on my radar.

No colored sidewall, right?

"El Whatever"
    Nobby Nics 2.25 Snakeskin rear paired to a Nobby Nic 2.4" front if you're on the average trail riding.

For XC, make the rear a Racing Ralph and mate the front to 2.25".

Wanna go big??? Make the rear a NN 2.4" and the front a Big Betty 2.4".

Other respectable options for the front are the Panaracer Rampage, the No-Brainer Kenda Nevegal Stick-E and the already mentioned Sturdy's. Maxxis Minions DHF too.

For the rear, the Roll-X is hard to beat, as the Nevegal DTC. The Hutchy Spider has crazy traction, but rolls on the slow side. The Maxxis ADvantage and Crossmark look nice too, but I've never been on them.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    They aren't flamboyant but do the job:

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Warp,

Is the NN 2.25 as wide as the Nev 2.1?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    [QUOTE=All Mountain]They aren't flamboyant but do the job:

That is one nice ML AM. It matches that floor p e r f e c t l y. I have never even seen
    GEAX tires in a local shop. They're probablly always sold out.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by orthorex
    Warp,

Is the NN 2.25 as wide as the Nev 2.1?
    Yes, they run "one size" small.
    Check my Site

banned
    Dang, All Mountain, that sure is one pretty beeeike. I sure do like them tires. They are the blingiest things on it. Seriously, you can find the Sturdy's online for cheap. Just Google "Geax Sturdy's" and then take your pick. It really is a good tire.

Paper or plastic?
    Currently Front WW LT 2.55 (real 2.3), great for hardpack/loose dry conditions, nice on baby heads too. Rear: Kenda SB8 in 2.1, rolls fast, grips okay.

Winter: Nevegal DTC 2.1 front and rear. Always grips.

I stan all my tires.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member

You ride in Tahoe alot dont you?

Try WTB weirwolfs 2.1's or 2.3's, they convert to tubeless easier than any other tire, are true to size and last a long time up here in the Tahoe rocks. They are readily available too.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    Try WTB weirwolfs 2.1's or 2.3's, they convert to tubeless easier than any other tire, are true to size and last a long time up here in the Tahoe rocks. They are readily available too.
    Yes I do. Anythng that takes a Tahoe beating sounds good to me.

OT: Can't believe there's a Starbucks going in @ Tahoe City. Didn't think I'd see that.

Oh Syd's...

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr

HATED these tires, better know as scarewolves. Ya, they are fine on rocks, but anyting loose or wet (even worse). worst thing about them, is thier inconsistently....

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    kenda 2.2 cortez dtc, faster/lighter than nevegals but somewhat less absolute traction.

nice for dryer conditions though.

ಠ_ಠ
    Oh yea, the Sturdy is a dope tire! I've only used my as a rear -- it's by far the best rear tire I've ever used.

mtbr member
    I have a Specialized Resolution 2.2 on the front (it actually measures much wider), and a Nevegal 2.35 on the back. It works great at Downieville and on much mellower places. The Resolution can pack mud a bit, but it's still a great tire.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp

Wanna go big??? Make the rear a NN 2.4" and the front a Big Betty 2.4".

big betty
    Last edited by crisillo; 07-19-2007 at 06:34 AM.

mtbr member
    AM/FR- Rampage 2.25 rear 2.4 advantage front.

XC- People will tell me I am a couple cans short of a sixpack, but I love my IRC Mibro 2.25 UST's. Light, roll super fast, clean out really well. I hated them the first time out, but have been in love ever since. Wear has not been excellent though. If I get 1.5 seasons out of them, I will be surprised.

I've seen the geax Sturdy's and they look like a good tire as well.

screamer

WW vs. NN

I used to run the WW 2.3/2.1 combo, but have switched to Nobby Nic 2.4/2.25 (snakeskin). They roll better, which might have as much to do with the lower weight as the tread design.
    As for a direct NorCal conditions comparo, I'd say the NN break loose a little earlier than the WW, but then hook up pretty well. The WW are hard to get to drift, but when they do it can be a little scary. I've heard people attribute this to the square knobs folding over.

In sum: WW get the nod for rocky conditions, NN for everything else.
    (Note: this is the regular WW, not the LT, which I haven't tried but would like to.)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie
    In sum: WW get the nod for rocky conditions, NN for everything else.
    (Note: this is the regular WW, not the LT, which I haven't tried but would like to.)
    Schwalbe seems to be a roll. I remeber using a set of Black Shark front and rear in a 24 hour race 4 years ago. I don't even remember where I found them. I liked 'em but they didn't last very long.

How's the life on the NN's?

Quote Originally Posted by orthorex

How's the life on the NN's?
    so far so good.... but my terrain is quite "soft", so most tires wear slow........ I do ride to work often on pavement and they still look quite good

I actually installed my older pair (6 months or so) of 2.25 NNs on a bike I built for a friend..they still looked new...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by golfduke
    AM/FR- Rampage 2.25 rear 2.4 advantage front.

XC- People will tell me I am a couple cans short of a sixpack, but I love my IRC Mibro 2.25 UST's. Light, roll super fast, clean out really well. I hated them the first time out, but have been in love ever since. Wear has not been excellent though. If I get 1.5 seasons out of them, I will be surprised.

I've seen the geax Sturdy's and they look like a good tire as well.
    The Rampage is 2.35. Not the first time I've read "2.25" here on this tire.

I was hoping to get a bit more input on the terrain from the OP. The other thing is he mentioned running 4.1's, so some of these tires will tax the narrow dimensions of the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    The other thing is he mentioned running 4.1's, so some of these tires will tax the narrow dimensions of the rim.
    the tire will just take a rounder profile... I have run tires this size on Mavic X717s and they have worked quite alright.... (I run wider rims now though )

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    The Rampage is 2.35. Not the first time I've read "2.25" here on this tire.
    Panaracer makes em special for Titus due to the size "limitations" of the motolite rear end...
    Extreme stationary biker.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    the tire will just take a rounder profile... I have run tires this size on Mavic X717s and they have worked quite alright.... (I run wider rims now though )
    Some rubber is more sensitive... Nevegals are known to be squirrelly on narrow rims.

Rampages are more stable.

Also, they're pretty sensitive to air pressure.... both regarding size and ride characteristics.
    They're a true 2.35"... but their casing is lower in height. Not in line with most "high volume" tyres nowadays. While a NN or Spesh tyre of comparable size is like 50-52mm of casing height, the Rampages are around 48-50mm.
    Check my Site

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast