mtbr member
    May 2006

New question here. some "play" in my ML when no weight on seat >

I've been riding my new ML for about four weeks now....

there is a VERY SMALL amount of "play" noticeable (appears to be coming from the main pivot) if you hold the rear wheel with your left hand and grab the seat post with your right hand and push/pull in opposite directions.

Again, this is a very small amount of "play" - I just wanted to check with other ML owners to see if this is the norm.

The "play" goes away when I lay on the seat with my sternum and try the same push/pull method.

fyi: this is a new 06 m ML frame with an rp23 and talas rlc.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Are you sure it's not your rear hub? It's a much more likely source of sloppiness than the motolite.

consider that the rear hub has only one small axle and set of bearings to resist slop. Even if your main pivot was loose, the horst link and shock linkage would hold things in place laterally and torsionally. You'd more likely notice some creaking in this case.

I would try removing the wheel, grabbing both seat-stays or chainstays with one hand and rocking the seat-tube with the other. Or you could just try tightening your rear hub cones.

Do It Yourself
    Check the hub, skewers, link bolts, Horst link, and shock bushings. I would seriously doubt it's the main pivot unless something is broken.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chris*tx
    I've been riding my new ML for about four weeks now....

there is a VERY SMALL amount of "play" noticeable (appears to be coming from the main pivot) if you hold the rear wheel with your left hand and grab the seat post with your right hand and push/pull in opposite directions.

Again, this is a very small amount of "play" - I just wanted to check with other ML owners to see if this is the norm.

The "play" goes away when I lay on the seat with my sternum and try the same push/pull method.

fyi: this is a new 06 m ML frame with an rp23 and talas rlc.
    I had ordered a small 06 motolite just a couple of months ago. It had the play in the shock reducers as well... ( RP23 also ) brand spankin' new! They were on the phone w/FOX and FOX said they were going to send a new reducer kit. It's been a month and the issue is still not resolved. I didn't take the bike.
    When your girlfriends Mother french kisses you hello....Now that's friendly!

banned
    Not accepting the bike is really sticking up for yourself. I wonder how many people would have done the same in your shoes.

I would check the HL bolts and also see if you can borrow someone's wheel to test in there. This way the hub can be eliminated.

thats right living legend
    I don't know...wierd, only at 4 weeks old. But it sounds like the shock bushings??? See if the shock has any wiggle...

mtbr member
    I had the same problem on my new ML. I thought it was a rear hub problem, but it was just that both bolts on the Horst Links (rear pivots) were loose. Tighten them up and it should be fine.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Not accepting the bike is really sticking up for yourself. I wonder how many people would have done the same in your shoes.

Yeah it still kills me that it's sitting in a shop an hour and a half away from me. I didn't put any money down so the leverage is totally in my hands ( for once ) I'm still waiting patiently and ready to pick the damn thing up. I am also considering a different bike, not sure which though. I wish it was the horst links like GuruAtma suggested but that would have been too easy.
    When your girlfriends Mother french kisses you hello....Now that's friendly!

banned
    Well, keep it up. That's willpower and the only way it will be resolved. If it's taken a month without buying the bike, imagine what would have happened if you took it home and went to bat for yourself. The bike shouldn't have left the factory like that.