mtbr member

Some El Guapo Love

With the new Rockstar being my XC bike, I decided to give my V2 EG a little more muscle. Its primary purpose will be my playbike, I will also use it to race Super D and a few Enduro events. First was to get rid of that POS Float 36 RLC, I was waiting on a new 13 Lyric from Bikerbob but I found someone who had a brand new 2011 Lyric R on Pinkbike for way cheap, I gutted the damper and found a MiCo DH damper and rebound assembly from one of the guys over on the Knolly forum. New fork, less then $450. The thing feels very plush compared to the Fox. Its set at 170mm (no spacer on the air spring) but seems to settle at about 165mm according to the markings on the stanchions. I also ditched the squealy Elixir 9's and Bikerbob hooked me up with some Hope Tech Evos, X2 160mm rear, M4 180mm front. I also got Hope's matchmaker clamps, super clean. I tweaked my rear derailleur last year so I also picked up a new Type 2. Last but not least, I saved the Odi 750mm bars from my Delirium when I sold it, the have a new home on the EG. Still weighs under 30 lbs! 29.24.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some El Guapo Love-p1030032-1-.jpg  

Some El Guapo Love-p1030033-1-.jpg  

Some El Guapo Love-p1030034-1-.jpg  

Some El Guapo Love-p1030035-1-.jpg  

Some El Guapo Love-p1030036-1-.jpg  

Some El Guapo Love-p1030037-1-.jpg  

Some El Guapo Love-p1030039-1-.jpg  

Some El Guapo Love-p1030040-1-.jpg  

Some El Guapo Love-p1030031-1-.jpg  

Bike Addiction
    Hopes are great. I've got X2's and it was set and forget. Took a few miles to bed but after that, quiet stopping power. All I could want.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

a tight kick sound
    Lookin' good.
    That thing looks almost too good to ride!
    My V1 rebuild should be complete by the end of the weekend.
    Think I'm gonna be a little over 29lbs though

mtbr member
    Make sure you post pictures!

mtbr member
    Happy to see you're on the hope brake boat.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Wish I had cash for drivetrain, I want those XO cranks

mtbr member
    A little update on my upgrades. I was able to get out on the EG a few times this past weekend. I've got to say I'm not sure about 26" wheels anymore. I'm thinking about building up an EG 29 when they come out, the 26" just feels twitchy and unstable. I could sell the frame, fork, & wheels and just change everything else over. HMMMM? Now about the upgrades...the Lyric R I found is a great platform, I added the internals from a MiCo DH lyric (Compression & rebound damper), its super plush compared to the Fox, feels very similar to the MiCo Totem I ran on my Knolly. Feels very balanced with the PUSHED Monarch, a little bit of suspension heaven going on there. The Hope brakes are amazing, the M4 front will stop a truck so its overkill on a 29 lb AM rig, I feels like I'm doing nose wheelies when I come into a turn hard on the brakes, the X2 on the rear is perfect, it modulates just as I wanted without locking up.

mtbr member
    +1 for the Hopes.
    I got M4 front and back and I am amassed.
    "Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

mtbr member
    Nice upgrades for the EG, Craig. I may be looking to upgrade my Fox Float on the Chilcotin. The biggest gripe with it is that it isn't consistent and is never perfect.
    Sounds like you're liking the Lyric. I may go that way. I may try the AVY cartridge for the Float.... or I may go back to the Marz 55RC3.

So which bike are you bringing to the FTB Enduro?

mtbr member
    The Lyric is better then the Fox could ever be. I picked up an OEM Lyric R super cheap and found a DH damper/rebound assembly, whole thing was about $450. Not sure if I am going to be able to make the FTB, have a long racing weekend here in Reno the weekend before with XC and SuperD at the Peavine Challenge. The wife is running a half marathon on June 9 in the bay area, I may have to go root her on as it is her first half marathon.