mtbr member

So I bastardized the Rockstar

I've been riding it alot and really like the 29er in certain situations. But I really dont care for riding technical stuff on it at all, except for its ability to roll over roots and rocks that would hang up a 26" front wheel. I've been wanting to race it in the Northstar series but I've been doing really well on the EG, four races in and I have one third and three seconds. I'm tied for the lead for points overall as the guy who has won three races had a DNF. I'm afraid I might not be able to descend well enough on it. Well I had an idea to throw on my dropper post, short (70mm) stem and 711mm wide Easton Havens. Walla, AM 29 er. I'm going to give it a test ride tomorrow and if all goes well, race it on Thursday. Thursday's course is supposed to be one of the longer ones with more XC feel, long fireroad climbs, and a relatively smooth (for Northstar) descent down the mountain. My poor EG is sitting in the corner of the garage minus some parts wondering WTF?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So I bastardized the Rockstar-p1020849.jpg  

So I bastardized the Rockstar-p1020850.jpg  

So I bastardized the Rockstar-p1020852.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks great. I was riding a Rockstar for a bit with 800mm bars, 60mm stem and a 2deg slackset :-)

Dozer
    Craig, what is the rear tire clearance like on that bike? How big of a tire do you think it'll run?

mtbr member
    Thats a 2.25 on there now, thinking a 2.4 will fit ok.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    Thats a 2.25 on there now, thinking a 2.4 will fit ok.
    I would definitely do the slackset thing that Brant guy is talking about. I was kicking around the idea of getting one of the Rockstar's when they first came out and doing just that...until I rode Bikerbob's Rockstar.
    Extreme stationary biker.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Keep an open mind...you just might like it!
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Nice. What's she weigh set up like that? Will it be an advantage on the climbs still?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    can't believe shiggy sent you those, need some ac's on that bastid

mtbr member
    28.5 lbs. On my way to the races with it right now. Will let you know how it goes.

Trophy Husband
    28.5 lbs. On my way to the races with it right now. Will let you know how it goes.
    Good luck!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Another second place. I took about 16 seconds off my start climb time on the Rockstar. The guy that has been winning sport used to be an expert NORBA racer back in the 90's. He led 40-49 Sport at the DV Classic until he flatted 3 miles from the finish and finished 4th. I feel pretty good about myself being able to stay within a minute or so of him. I was about 100 ft. behind him at mid mountain and we got on a fireroad traverse and I threw my chain over the big ring, tried shifting to the granny to get it back but it jammed, I had to jump off and fix it and got passed by a couple of riders. I remounted and it took me a mile or so to catch the guys who passed me, I got by them and tried to make up ground to the leader but he finished about a minute or so in front of me. Going down the DH trails on the Rockstar wasnt as bad as I thought it would be but I was being pretty careful not to risk any pinch flats.

mtbr member
    Congratulations Craig!
    "Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Congratulations! That's cool you got to test your 29" AM hybrid bastard at a race at NorthStar. A RockStar with a dropper post, wide bars, and a slack headset sounds like fun! Like a lot of fun in fact. What sort of head tube angle does the prototype EG 29 have?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    craigstr: put a bionicon guide on that thing and it'll cut down on chain drop. Or hack the equivalent.

mtbr member
    I run a bionicon on my EG and love it. I dont think it would have helped in this situation as when I shifted from granny to big ring (2x10) it just went right over and down to my pedal. I've ridden this bike a dozen times and its never done that.

mtbr member
    dont think it would have helped in this situation as when I shifted from granny to big ring (2x10) it just went right over and down to my pedal. I've ridden this bike a dozen times and its never done that.
    Had that issue on both the bikes I ran a 2x10 on (titus eg and niner jet). I was trying to find a bash gaurd I could bolt onto the sram x7 or any of the sram 2x cranks and couldn't find anything. Ended up going back to 3x9 and 2x9 on both bikes.

I wasn't really into spending 100$+ on a chain guide for it either.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    interesting.

I converted my new bike from 3x10 to 2x10 and it was definitely more finicky about overshift, but a front-d set screw seems to have fixed that up. I'm not running an outer bash, I have an ISCG mounted MRP XCG for those duties.

I wonder if the 10spd systems are just going to be more touchy about this.

I'm getting ready to try a non-DynaSys chain on my bike, once the current chain wears out. The new one is a low end SRAM 10 spd (1031?) that I picked up cheap. According to the specs I have read it's a little wider than the Shimano chain (by the huge amount of about 0.6 mm) but I'm working on the theory that the addition width means the derailleur won't have to push as far to cause a shift, because the outer plates are more widely separated.

Of course, this could be disastrous to the rear shifting / running. We'll see.

mtbr member
    So I have to say, I am really starting to love the Rockstar. I've been riding it for all my race training and racing the EG but I think I am going to race it in the series final this week. I'm learning how to go fast on it, so much that I've obliterated some KOM's on some super technical trails. Some of the KOM's I had set on the EG but have broken them on the Rockstar. I'm working on a full review of my time on this gem, I just need to sit down and type it out.

Trophy Husband
    So I have to say, I am really starting to love the Rockstar. I've been riding it for all my race training and racing the EG but I think I am going to race it in the series final this week. I'm learning how to go fast on it, so much that I've obliterated some KOM's on some super technical trails. Some of the KOM's I had set on the EG but have broken them on the Rockstar. I'm working on a full review of my time on this gem, I just need to sit down and type it out.
    Say what you will about 29ers, but if you want to go fast the wheelsize is hard to beat (for many trails). I moved into the top 10 on many of the DH(ish) trails at my local hill riding my hardtail 29er.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover View Post
    Say what you will about 29ers, but if you want to go fast the wheelsize is hard to beat (for many trails). I moved into the top 10 on many of the DH(ish) trails at my local hill riding my hardtail 29er.
    Yeah, but there are only 10 of you riding where you are. That doesn't count!

Craig, I'm hoping to make the last race Thursday just to embarrass myself.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun